Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what are some options for race tires. I am being told by a bunch of people that a set of race tires on a big bike is going to last like two races. I was planning on entering 2 classes so I can't afford the $400 per set every month plus entry fees. I already bought a new set of GPAs but didn't think they'd only last a couple races. Anybody actually race on the Q3 or will it melt? Are race take offs worth it?

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Its too bad you aren't closer. I have a free and steady supply of take offs.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I've only done track days on q3s. On a hot day at my not at all fast but not so slow pace, the tire only lasted a full track weekend. Idk how much practice/qualifying/race you're gonna be able to get out of those. Where medium+ GPAs (I've never tried the new GPA pros) would last full two weekends. I've used about 3 sets of GPAs and 5 sets of q3s so I don't have that much experience with them.

I just got some alpha 13s (little bike tires) hoping to get like 3 weekends out of them on the 250

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I've got Michelin Power Cups on the gsxr750 track bike and the previous owner said he did 2 track days at Blackhawk on it and I've done 3 track days at Road America and the rear tire is shot. The carousel at RA seems kill the right side of the tire.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was in Imperial today, talked to their tech about it. The price for GPAs has gone down a little. He said if you are smooth on the throttle you will get more life out of the tire. I already have a set of GPAs and I plan on entering two classes in about a month and a half, we'll see how far they get me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts