Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my other entry. It's a ex500 but not really a ex500. In the past people have had a problem with none motorcycle entries so if people make a fuss I'll pull the thread.

With that said here is my project. It's a PCR go kart chassis that I modified to fit a ex500 engine.

As you can see the motor mounts are done and the engine is bolted in, the exhaust is all welded up, the radiator mounts are done along with the overflow and filler, the coil mounts are done, the offset sprocket is welded up, the rear sprocket is machined and the chain tensioner is made. I also finished mounting the seat and ghetto rigged the rear brake so it is kind of functional at the moment.

Still have a lot to do before it's finished. The short list consists of making the shift lever and clutch lever, routing the clutch and throttle cables, finishing the steering wheel mount and quick release, make a sprocket support plate and chain guard, make some custom front hubs for the atv brakes, mount all the electrics, and more that I'm probably not thinking of at the moment.

I was hoping to drive it yet this year but it has already dipped into the 30's so that might not happen anymore.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Shift lever and linkage is done. I need to bend the top part a little more so it feels more natural in your hand. I figured ball bearings would be overkill so it rides on a bronze bushing. I need to make a new spacer to take up a little slop but it works pretty good now. Forward is upshift and backwards is down shift. It's weighted to make it real easy and fast to slap it up a gear with the back of your hand.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Started working on the sprocket support plate last night.

Step 1: Make some very pointy transfer punches out of some 6-1.0mm all thread.

Step 2: Thread them into the engine so they all stick out the same amount. I machined the offset sprocket to have a 2.002" ID so I grabbed a piece of 2"OD and some sandpaper to knock down the high spots until it would be a tight slip fit.

Step 3: Finish the case of Mt Dew so I have a big enough piece of cardboard for a pattern and then press it against the pointy punches and trace around the 2" tube to find the center of the sprocket.

Hopefully I'll finish this today.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Put in a bunch of overtime today to cover a speeding ticket and a recent motorcycle purchase so that didn't leave much time to work on the shifter kart tonight. I did still manage to get the clutch lever mount welded up and the cable routed. The clutch is too stuff for the current setup and the throw is too long so I'm going to cut off the tab the end of the cable connects to and move it further from the end of the lever. I also need to figure out a better way to hook the cable to the lever.

Here's the current ghetto rigged setup. Any ideas to better hook up the cable are appreciated. These cable clamps I bought suck.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered some materials from Speedy Metals so I can finish off the sprocket support plate tonight. I go there to pick it up after work and thought it looked funny when the guy handed it to me. Didn't think much of it until I got home and measured it and sure enough, it's the wrong size. This is the second time this has happened. Called them up and they said if I bring it back they will exchange it. Gas alone is 3x more than the cost of the material. Really pissed me of so now I don't even want to work on it tonight. Might have to start ordering everything online again since they can't figure out how to measure things.

Rant over...

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I finished the sprocket support plate. Used some tubing as spacers and the Al plate used to be part of a inspection fixture for Caterpillar axles. Those little pockets on the front edge will be covered up with the chain guard that I still need to make and those hex head bolts are only temporary. They will be countersunk and replaced with flat head cap screws so the finished product will be a nice smooth plate. The support plate is really solid for how simple it is. If you grab it and try to shake it you'll end up shaking the whole shifter kart.

I also played with the clutch lever. I remade some of the mounts to make them stiffer, rerouted the cable and lubed it some more, and robbed some better cable clamps from a bicycle. It's a little easier to pull now so I'm going to call it done until I take it for a drive and actually use it.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This was done before the buildoff started but Crystal Skull commented on the sprocket so I figured I'd put up some pictures from when that was made. I also made the steering column extension at the same time I did the sprockets and yes that sprocket is heavy with that thick of tube used as the spacer but it was what I had laying around so it's what I used. If you guys are curious how I did anything else I can post some more pictures.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't have much to report for the weeks without a update. Couldn't get it started and broke the ignition switch so I bought a new uncut harness and was trying to figure out how to hot wire the bike but haven't tried that yet. I also brought it to the shed so I'll be working with a little space heater the rest of the Winter. I've been spending my time getting the motorcycles and the Camaro put away before they sprayed the salt and long 6 day work weeks have become the norm so I've been doing more sleeping as well. Hopefully I'll have more shortly.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well this isn't exactly coming shortly after my last update like I had planned but I figured I'd give another update.

I've been putting in a bunch of overtime and with how the company I work for is doing their Holidays this year I was able to have off the last few work days of the year despite having no vacation time so I ended up not having to work the last two weeks of the year. Combine that with the abnormally warm weather and it means I have no excuse for getting nothing done.

Unrelated to this build but I used some of the overtime money to treat myself to this gsxr1100. Spent over eight hours on the road to get it but the price was worth it. Started drifting it in second and third gear during the test ride and now I'm excited about finishing up my 7/11 build this Summer.
:party:

Anyway, here is the shifter kart in its new home. I finished off the Cheerios so I could use the huge box for a template to make the chain guard. I also played with the wiring a little more but I think the battery is a little weak so that's on the charger for the night. I had the engine running before I pulled it from the frame so I know it should run. Hopefully letting the battery charge will do the trick and I'll be able to hear what it sounds like through the exhaust system I made.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So thanks to the help from Piester and MrMcTavish I was finally able to get the ignition switch bypassed and the engine to turn over. Here is the busted and bypassed makeshift ignition switch.

After a couple failed attempts and going back through the harness a few times resoldering some connections and making sure things are plugged in correctly I was left with this mess draped over the project.

Here is attempt #1 or at least the first time it fired. :party-smiley:

EX500 shifter kart first fire - YouTube

Then after more head scratching and checking things over for probably the 12th time it actually ran... as in sustained idle and revving too! :rock:

EX500 shifter kart round 2 - YouTube

Still has a long way to go but I'm pretty stoked. Oh and I promise it sounds way better in person. Bad acoustics in the shed. haha

------------------------
I can't figure out how to properly embed these videos here. Anyone know?

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last two weeks with no update is going to be blamed on mother nature. I have had a little time to go out and work on it but with temperatures in the single digits, the feels like temp as low as -20*F for a couple days, and having to walk through snow drifts to get to the shed, I figured it wasn't worth it. The little space heater I have out there can really only take the edge off the cold when it's in the high 30's so even if I went back there my fingers probably wouldn't have been functional for long. Instead, I have been busy collecting go fast parts for the Duke and the gsxr 1100 pictured above. It's supposed to be over 30* this weekend so I'll be out there then.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Spent some time working on the rear brake today. Made the aluminum spacer needed to replace the plastic ones and I got rid of the ziptie keeping the linkage from the master to the brake pedal connected. Rear brake is now 100% functional which means I'm another step closer to driving this thing.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well... over two months with no update and only two months to go. Reason?

Biggest reason is that the weather has been absolute crap. It has been under freezing pretty much this entire time and when it finally did warm up for those brief few days I was working on something else. This 06 gsxr1000 needs to be back to a ridable state so I can take it on a road trip to Texas with some friends at the end of May. I brought it home last Summer or Fall as a big pile of parts in the back of the truck and now it's looking like this.

It turns over but needs some more work before it fires up and once it's ridable I'll get back to the shifter kart. I don't think I'll have a problem finishing both of these by the end of the build off as long as the weather cooperates.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Holy crap! Only 3 weeks to go!

Spent some time in the shed tonight and started cutting things out of the stock ex500 harness. I cut a lot out but it still looks like a mess because of how the stock harness was spliced to together at the factory. I'll be picking up some supplies after work tomorrow so I can hopefully get some more done before the weekend.

Here's the plan...
- Master power switch
- Push button start
- Toggle for headlight and tail light
- Neutral light
- Oil pressure light
- Temperature gauge

Those last three might be taken care of with a little Koso gauge I have sitting around. I was thinking about putting a Ooga horn on it but decided to cut the wires anyway since there wouldn't really be a good spot to put it.

Here's some pics proving progress...

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Got to work on it a little bit tonight but all I had time for was cutting the harness apart so all the components can be separated and mounted. I also took the stock wiring diagram and started removing things I won't be needing. It still needs to be tweaked before it's called done but at least it is way easier to read at a glance for when I start splicing things back together.

The regulator will be mounted on the opposite side under where the fuse box is and the starter solenoid will go where the regulator currently is. That big open area up top leaves room for the wiring to the gauge and switches.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So remember that big tray I was going to make to hold the electrics? I'm not doing that anymore. Was thinking about it more at work today and it seemed big and bulky and heavy. Instead I'm making a aluminum cage type thing. It's 3/16" Al rod and I'll be adding flat stock to bolt everything too. It's super light. This is also the first time I used the TIG in the shed and I'm happy to report I didn't trip any breakers.

Here is all I got done tonight. It isn't perfectly symmetrical which bugs me a little but no one will see it unless you happen to stick your face on the ground.

I can't decide between gauges. Should I use the Koso db01 or Trailtech Vapor? I think the Vapor would fill up the dash panel better but the Koso already has the idiot lights in it for neutral and oil pressure. I already have both so price isn't a factor.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ended up scrapping the cage thing I was making. With it being so thin and curvy there was no good way to clamp it together for welding and I got tired of trying to prop everything in place. Instead I made it out of flat stock. Now the electrics can be mounted up out of sight but the fuse box is still pretty easy to get to.

My Vapor gauge arrived today so I was playing around with the placement of everything. I think this is what I'm going to do. Main power switch on the left, gauge in the middle, E-start on the right, and then the neutral light, oil pressure light and the switch for the headlight/taillight going left to right below the gauge.

It's going to be close and I'm going to have to bust ass to get it drivable in time but I think it's going to be possible. It won't be painted and pretty but I think it will be drivable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts