Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't even going to enter this year due to my failure last year but when I was going through my enormous parts pile I realized I have enough shit to try and throw something together. So here I am and here is the first of the parts being put back into service.

First, proof of life!

Then what I have to start with. Its a water cooled gsxr 600 frame and a oil cooled katana 600 engine. It doesn't fit together very well. Actually its just barely able to squeeze in there. Requires all new motor mounts. Not even sure I'll have room to put pods on those carbs.

My back is all kinds of screwed up though so that's as far as I got yesterday. Feels like someone smacked me with a 2x4. Hurts to take a deep breath and get in/out of vehicles.

Anyway, on with the price list! I'm hoping to keep this whole build under $1000.

199x GSXR 600w titled frame complete with half assed polish job $120
199x Katana 600 engine, carbs, oil cooler, harness $140
----------
$260 total

Hopefully my back is better for Sunday that I can do something.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I've got a pair of 6 spoke vfr/900rr wheels and a pair of 3 spoke 929/954 wheels. What do you think would look better? Both will require the same amount of work to make them fit. I want to do the 6 spokes but I feel like they're used too often but I think it would fit with the squareness of the frame tank and tail. I've got the same $$ into each set so its not like one would help keep under budget any more then the other. Opinions?

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'll deal with the above issues later. The frame jig is still tied up with a xs650 project so I'm stuck shimming and measuring this frame/engine combo on the garage floor.

Step one is grab the correct sized dowel rods to better visually check straightness before any measurements are taken for final tweaking.

I noticed the upper rear engine mounts aren't parrel with the axles. Found that to be odd.

Here you can see how far off the bottom rear motor mounts are and how close the sprocket cover is to the frame.

The oil pan is really close to the frame.

The oil filter barely clears the front frame crossmember. That piece of the frame will need to be removed everytime a oil change is needed. Depending on time I may make a relocation bracket for the filter.

Plenty of room at front of the head.

I was able to make a little more room for some filters too. No filters on hand though so I still don't know if any will work.

And my scribbles about the new engine mounts.

I'll probably grab some Al from work tomorrow to make the engine mounts but I'm trading some machining for parts to help keep this under budget so I may not get to the motor mounts tomorrow. I'm hoping to have the motor mounts done and be onto either swingarm fitment or fork/front wheel fitment by the end of the week. With how things are looking with other winter projects I figure I'll only have about 3 months to work on this thing. Weather permitting of course. If the snow holds out until December again I might get closer to 4 months to work on it. Fingers cossed!

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Made a Al spacer in exchange for a carbon fiber rear fender for the 900rr swingarm.

I don't like how heavy the 900rr/vfr wheel combo is compared to the 929/954 wheels so I think I'm going 929/954. Stole the tank from the other gsxr for this mockup.

Chain alignment is WAY off. The rear wheel can be moved 3/16" to the right, 1/4" taken off the cush drive, and a slightly offset front sprocket should do it. Haha! Maybe I should go 900rr/vfr for ease of fitment. :doh:

Carbon fiber rear fender $0
900rr swingarm, axle, caliper $30
954 front wheel with rotors $35
954 rear wheel, cush, and rotor $65
Tail $2

Post total: $132
TOTAL: $392

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Kept thinking about how the front end is going to go together and was running the numbers in my head while laying in bed so I couldn't sleep. I already had the front end and a socket set in my bedroom so I figured I would grab the wheel and allen wrench from the garage quick to throw it together and see if the numbers were right. I need four 5mm caliper spacers, two 25x47x__ bearings, two 32x47x__ seals, and a bearing spacer. Once I get/make that then the front end will be sorted.

05 GSXR 750 forks $110
07 GSXR calipers $15
93 GSXR triples $25
04 GSXR axle $5

Post Total: $155
TOTAL: $547

Now that my mind is at ease it's time to sleep.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Purchased the bearings (25x47x12) and seals (32x47x7) this morning and then brought the front end into work today to finish getting that sorted. First up was pressing in a bearing and seal and grabbing a depth mic to figure out how long the spacer needed to be. I don't remember the length off hand but I think it was 110.XXmm long. Here that is...

Then put the other bearing and seal in.

Then I assembled the wheel in the forks to see how far off center it was. Noticed the axle was recessed in the fork leg and after some measuring, found the wheel was 1.75mm off center.

Went back to the lathe and turned a spacer but it was getting way to thin and popped out of the jaws so I lapped it down to final size.

Then had to leave work so final assembly happened at home. Axle is now flush with the fork and the wheel is only 0.0008" off center.

Time to bolt it to the frame!

Once I get the four 5mm spacers made for the calipers the front end will be done. I still need to finish a couple motor mounts but it's in there solid anyway. So the week is over, the motor mounts aren't 100% done but the front end is 90% done so I'm a little behind schedule but not too bad. I'm going in for surgery middle of next week so I'll be away from the bike for a few days but hopefully more parts will arrive while I'm out so I can jump right back into it.

Todays cost...
Front wheel bearings and seals $28

Post total: $28
TOTAL: $575

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Other then the KTM I finished putting all the other bikes away for the winter by the early afternoon today so I decided to try and get more done on the gsxr. Decided to make the swingarm fit the frame.

Here is a before/after of the right side.

and a before/after of the left side.

In the "after" photos you can see where I had to grind back the rear set mounts to clear the swingarm. I never measured exactly how much material I removed but it was probably close to 3/4". I still need to do some lathe work to make the swingarm/frame fitment 100% complete but it's on there and not going anywhere.

The front sprocket, in its stock location, doesn't line up very well with the stock 900rr chain run.

I haven't made the front caliper spacers yet but I bolted them on and put a carbon fiber front fender on there for a more complete look. Now that the swingarm is on there and the bike is sitting at ride height I'm not liking how the swingarm brace doesn't match any of the other lines on the bike. Might have to alter the brace a little. The rake and trail are ok but I don't like how long the wheelbase is (56.75"). Might have to look into other swingarm options afterall.

Sometime soon I'll have make a list of bearings for the rear wheel so I can start working on getting that centered. I also need to remove the oil cooler and lines so I can check fitment of my headers and figure out what I'm using. It looks like it's going to be a really tight fit with the frame tubes being so close to the edge of the exhaust ports. I've also been toying with the idea of bringing the bike into the basement shop for the winter so I have more time to work on it. Have to wait and see how things play out. At this rate though I might have the subframe done and the bike running before the end of the year. Lol

Hopefully I'll have more to report tomorrow.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Took some measurements today to figure out what I need to do tomorrow after work. Hopefully I can get all of this done.

This doesn't really pertain to this build thread since I don't need a jig anymore but I have a lead on a new frame jig and possibly a new swingarm jig! Super stoked! Even more stoked about the ridiculously low price of $0. :D

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Started my day off super early with a surgery this morning. Everything went fine and I was sent home and told to take it easy and not stress myself. I did listen but only for a while. I can't stand all the talk shows that are on in the afternoon! I can't for the life of me understand how people can sit in front of the TV and watch that crap. Anyway, the TV was pissing me off so I installed the parts I made at work yesterday. I didn't have time to make the top hat spacer/washer and totally forgot to measure for another spacer so I'll do that when I get back to work.

Now the pivot bolt is flush on each side. Mostly flush anyway since it sticks out by 1.8mm on the left side.

This smaller part that I turned in the stock gsxr adjuster gets tightened against the 900rr bearing race that I cut down and it also fits into the seal on the swingarm to keep the crap out.

Then I started test fitting headers. Should I go 4-1 or sidewinder? The 4-1 interferes with the oil pan and the sidewinder needs to be tweaked a little to fit the head better so both will require some work.

I also received the gas tank I bought for this bike so I can return the silver one back to the other gsxr build.

Todays costs:
GSXR gas tank $84

Post Total: $84
TOTAL: $659

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Bike is at ride height, my feet are where they will be, my butt is where it will be, but should I use clipons or dirt bars, or a option that was brought up on facebook, drag bars? I have ape arms so both comfortable. My concern with dirt bars or drag bars is the awkward riding position if I lay on the tank.

and, yeah, I'm HUGE on this thing...

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Started measuring for the subframe today. I'm getting really good at balancing things on tires. :doh:

None of the 8 shocks I have on hand are going to easily work out or look right so I purchased one. Should be here tomorrow afternoon so hopefully by the end of this week I'll have some kind of rear suspension rigged up or at least a properly working rear suspension drawn up and the subframe started. It's not much but progress is progress.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The shock arrived today! Problem is it is almost 1" longer then I read it was supposed to be. Not sure what I'm going to do for rear suspension now.

I also ordered some tubing this morning for the subframe! Then I was talking with a coworker after work and now he's got my mind changed so the tubing I ordered isn't going to work.

Then after work I went and bought the new rear wheel bearings! When I got home I realized he gave me the wrong ones. After grabbing them from the backroom he put them on the counter while I paid but he must have grabbed a different stack of bearings when he came back with my reciept.

So today was a bust. Only thing I really did is make up my mind for handlebars. I'm going to go with clipons because dirt bars would be in the way for what I have planned in the upper triple area.

Since everyone likes pictures and I still don't have the right rear wheel bearings I figured I'd take the supermoto wheel from the KTM and post one of the GSXR with spoke wheels. Kinda makes me wonder if I should ignore my $1k goal and buy some supermoto wheels for this too.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Haven't done anything the last week. My brother is back from school for Thanksgiving which means the ps3 is back which means Gran Turismo time! Since I haven't been able to play for the last many months I had to take my chance. Then later in the week XBox1 and PS4 were released so I joined some friends for video game marothons. All I managed to do is dig through my parts pile and find some more parts I can use.

Todays costs:
FZR tail light $0 (free from friend)
Kawasaki ignition switch $0 (got it with a box of parts at a swap meet)
GSXR hand switches $11
New grips $0 (same as Kawi ignition)
Dominator headlights and LED signals $25
Kerker muffler $10? (got it with the Kerker 4-1 for $40)
GSXR gauge $35
Brembo radial master cylinder $62
R1 steering damper $5

Post total: $86
TOTAL: $745

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Some of you may have seen on Facebook that I'm starting to make a new frame jig and I'm oddly more excited about it then this build so I'm posting here too. :D

It's a 22" wide, 80" long, and 4.5" thick piece of Al. Just have to finalize hole locations and put it in the mill.

and onto the build...

Called a friend and we moved it to the basement shop. Now I'll be warm while I work on it! :thumbsup:

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Work is picking up again. First week back from Thanksgiving and I'm up to 60 hour work weeks. Won't have as much time for the build now but that's fine because the rear suspension is kicking my ass. Can't get any of the shocks on hand to fit the look and space constraints and still have the geometry I want. Not much but here is one of the mockups.

Also managed to break the mill at home so all the mill work will have to be done at work now... time and machine space permitting. I also brought the TIG welder to the basement but didn't get a chance to set it up yet.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Work is picking up. The hours are long and free time is slim but the checks are nice. Got some more done with the frame jig. It's now lapped flat and the holes are layed out. Between the reamed holes and tapped holes there will be a total of 608 holes. I'll also be adding a scribed line down the center and a channel around the outside to catch anything that wants to roll off. Anyone think of anything else I should add?

I figured out the rear suspension. The shock is 2012 r1, triangle link thing is modified 07 r6, and the dog bone is custom with a little Mazda in the mix. I'll post a picture of that when there is more to see of it.

I also cut apart the stock subframe to better mockup the new one. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with the top tubes.

The K&N pods arrived as well. VERY tight fit. It was a pain in the ass getting them on.

Todays cost:
K&N filters $72
2012 R1 shock $27
07 R6 linkage $0
Mazda B2200 part $4

Post total: $103
Build total: $848

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Merry Christmas!

I spent the morning attempting a quick fix for the mill and was able to get it operational again. Then I got started on the upper subframe mounts. I got them notched, drilled, counterbored, and started getting them setup to cut the radius on the end when I ran out of time. Here's where I left it.

After spending close to $80 on Al for what I was going to do for the subframe I cheaped out this time and went with steel. It will be about 6.5 pounds heavier with steel but it's not a race bike so not a big deal.

Also got a little more done on the frame jig. All the tapped holes are spot drilled, the bottom half of the tapped holes are drilled and tapped, the line is scribed down the center, and the channel is cut around the outside. Here's a photo from when the tapped holes were being spot drilled.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts