Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
This is gonna be awesome!!!

Oh and tell tat2 not to post in the damn build threads. I would but ya know, then i would be breaking that rule too.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is gonna be awesome!!!

Oh and tell tat2 not to post in the damn build threads. I would but ya know, then i would be breaking that rule too.
Thanks!

I let Noah know we can still post in each others build threads so hopefully he can lock everyone out except the op.
Lol. I didn't realize that was the build thread and this is discussion... By all means delete that shit!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Doesn't bother me the first week or two but then it gets annoying. :)
OK its done !
Rob to the rescue! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
So based off of your wheels is is another cart or is it a dual single sided build? Either way it sounds awesome

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So based off of your wheels is is another cart or is it a dual single sided build? Either way it sounds awesome
Since you brought it up I put a drawing in the build thread showing what my plans are.

So all that monkey bike business you were talking about at Barber is this project? Hell yeah, dude.
See!!! Not as crazy as you thought I was! Am I??? :LolLolLolLol:

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks complicated.

Why are you going with Grom size?

I think you should use a Ducati 1100 aircooled engine. :D

....because clack clack clack clack clack
Thanks. I like complicated.

Because I like little bikes. I have sat on a Grom at a local dealer and I do fit but barely. My elbows are below my knees but I think I could still turn the bars without too much of an issue. Only one way to find out and that's building myself a Grom sized bike but a normal Grom seems boring which is why I'm building my own.

If I could find one I do have another project in mind for a V-twin of some kind.

You might not realize it at first but going Grom sized is actually harder than building a proper sized motorcycle because you still need all the same stuff but you have to fit it into such a small package. I'll use the gearing as an example.

If I go with a normal sized 4X tooth rear sprocket I won't have room to fit tube through the sprocket/wheel gap for the swingarm which is why I'll have to run a 36 tooth sprocket. That also means I'll have to run a big front sprocket if I still want to break 100mph but if I go too big up front I'll have issues with the clutch linkage. Breaking 100mph is also a challenge because of the small wheels (14" diameter) and shitty Wisconsin roads. It's going to be super twitchy at speed which means I need to get the front end geometry spot on and I should probably run a steering damper as a precaution. That means I'm making room for another part most motorcycles never even have. The other thing about the small wheels is the limited tire choices. Tires that small aren't rated for very high speeds. The highest rating I can find is 130mph and I've got it geared for a top speed of 131mph. As you can see it all snowballs into one problem after another but this all goes back to the first thing I said. I like complicated.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Sounds like you have a whole lot of work ahead of you. That drawing had 48 inches on it right? That is ridiculously short.

I doubt you would ride it on the highway much huh? I wouldnt at least. Only if i was feelin squirrelly.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you have a whole lot of work ahead of you. That drawing had 48 inches on it right? That is ridiculously short.

I doubt you would ride it on the highway much huh? I wouldnt at least. Only if i was feelin squirrelly.
Yes but I tweaked it last night and got it down to 47" but I won't know for sure if that's really a possibility until I have a header to check which I won't have until I make it which I can't do until the front swingarms are mostly done which can't be done until the header is figured out... Basically I need everything well planned and dimensioned or I just say screw it and make it up as I go and risk building myself into a corner and having to redo a lot of work.

I plan to take this on the highway many times. I hope to be able to make the 40 minute commute to work on this.
Well, now that I think about it, you might have some mental health issues stemming from motorcyculus syndrome.
That is a very real possibility. ;)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts