Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Make sure it's aluminum safe, but pretty much any brand that is, will work.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Water wetter is my choice, but only because it's required at some racetracks.

Other than that, any antifreeze safe for aluminum will be good. 50/50 coolant/water mix is best.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I would only caution not use water wetter if you are somewhere that shit freezes....water wetter and water WILL freeze, and crack shit.

I use Engine Ice in my bikes. Click it \/ \/ \/

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I just buy whatever aluminum safe stuff I can find, good ol' Canadian Tire is the place to go man. lol. Mix it 50/50 with water and you're good to.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
depends on your anal retentiveness lol

50/50 water anitfreeze year round - what i do

water wetter blend or straight water in the warm months

straight anitfreeze in the freezong months...

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Choose to believe me or not, but you will get better results if you mix it 50/50.

If you mix antifreeze with distilled water at the ratio of one part antifreeze to one part water, you will have freeze protection down to –34°F and boil-over protection up to 265°F (if using 15 PSI pressure cap). At least 40% of the mixture should be water.

Using too much antifreeze or water in your engine coolant can harm your vehicle. Antifreeze concentrations higher than recommended levels can cause problems including corrosion, water pump failure, and increased engine wear. Increasing the concentration of ethylene glycol above 60% actually hurts the engine’s freezing and overheating protection. More is not always better!

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Damn you people, why you doubt DougZ knowledge...LOL.

This is right from their website, Engine Ice, and is a prorylene gylcol, not ethylene, and comes pre mixed. Therefore, like I said, you just use it straight.

You bet! Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant TM offers excellent alloy protection for Motorcycle engines against corrosion, overheating, & freezing. Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant TM is pre-mixed at a 1:1 ratio with de-ionized (DI) water and has a boiling point of 256oF and a freezing point of -26oF. Propylene glycol engine coolants will perform superbly under most operating conditions and will not affect factory warranty coverage.

What about protection against corrosion?

The Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant TM formulation has shown outstanding performance in testing that measures its ability to prevent corrosion within all cooling systems, including aluminum, copper, cast iron, steel, magnesium & solder. Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant TM has shown excellent performance in all of the ASTM D 5216 (Propylene Glycol Base Engine Coolant) tests. Also, Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant TM meets all the corrosion performance requirements of ASTM D 3306 & ASTM 4985 (the main specifications for premium ethylene glycol antifreeze).

Why is Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant TM pre-diluted?

Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant TM is pre-mixed with de-ionized water. The process of de-ionizing water eliminates all of the impurities that can do harm to your cooling system. Regardless if you are using tap, bottled, distilled, spring or R/O (reverse osmosis) waters, it can still contain minute particles of iron, magnesium, rust, lime and calcium. Many of these waters also contain chemicals, such as chlorine, fluorides and acids. Want proof? Take two different brands of distilled waters and perform your own taste test. They each taste different don't they? If water were water, why would they be different? It's because of the varying amounts of chemicals and minerals in these waters. These minerals and chemicals are what is the cause the scarring, scaling and mineral build-ups in your cooling system. Many also attribute these minerals and chemicals to water pump seal and gasket failures.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Cool...but I was just trying to make the point that just because it's propylene glycol, doesn't mean you don't have to mix it. Engine ice comes pre-mixed (as do others), but not everything will come as such.

*Group Hug*

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
endo said:
Cool...but I was just trying to make the point that just because it's propylene glycol, doesn't mean you don't have to mix it. Engine ice comes pre-mixed (as do others), but not everything will come as such.

*Group Hug*
LOL, Its all good yo. :ninja:

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey man when my bike is in storage in my garage there is the chance of days reaching -50'C so thats all i am concerned about

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
It should be fine...just make sure you don't start the bike until you know it's 100% "thawed out". Otherwise that slushy goo will wreck shit. If you're really worried about storing it in the cold, drain the coolant right out, then it won't freeze and possibly expand to wreck your rad. I've stored bikes outside many a winter and never had a problem as long as proper care is taken in the spring.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Might want to drain it then. If it freezes, it could crack your engine block and/or radiator. Radiator hoses, thermostat, all that shit could go too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts