Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What temp do radiator fans normally kick on? I know each bike will be slightly different, but what is the range.

Thanks

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,755 Posts

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I was thinkin of something like that.. The three position idea is cool. I like to keep my fan on when I'm at the track (with the lights and shit unplugged). I wanna wire one of these two-color LED things I found. Orange for when the fan comes on, Red for when it's getting too hot.
Been spending a lot of time in traffic lately, scares me with no temp gauge.

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,147 Posts
yeah I got american clocks on my GSXR so 220F is when my fan kicks in

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I've noticed my fan hasnt been kicking on in the heat we've had recently and its had me worried. I plugged in the old gauges and warmed it up to 150. I checked my thermostat, its working right, checked the fan motor, its good, put a new rad switch I had lying around in, so I'm running out of things to check.

A manual switch might be the way to go though, if all else fails. I do miss being able to look at that little red light to see if I should panic :D

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Get some "Water Wetter" by Redline! This stuff is the shit....my bike was constanly up hear the red and the fan was always kicking in, so I added this stuff, and my bike hasn't reached even CLOSE to the red anymore and my fan hasn't kicked in. I thank mike for tuning me into this stuff, it could be a hit or miss thing, but it can't help to try it, mike says it didn't work for him....worked GREAT on my bike!

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Thanks guys. I've noticed my fan hasnt been kicking on in the heat we've had recently and its had me worried. I plugged in the old gauges and warmed it up to 150. I checked my thermostat, its working right, checked the fan motor, its good, put a new rad switch I had lying around in, so I'm running out of things to check.

A manual switch might be the way to go though, if all else fails. I do miss being able to look at that little red light to see if I should panic :D

While "water wetter" and items like that may work great you still have a problem that is pretty critcal. Your fan isn't turning on. Fixing it with cooler temps may help today but what happens when he's 260*F on the side of the road with a blown head gasket? He needs to fix his problem.

There is only one thing that turns your radiator on. I've only seen one type of sensor in my days. It's a 2 prong sensor tapped into the radiator.

If you pull the connector off and jumper the 2 wires in the connector it should turn your fan on. If that doesn't work i'd look into wiring problems or a fuse if you haven't checked the fuse yet. Also make sure it's the proper fuse.

I know R6/R1 and Gsxrs use the same type of sensor, always located on the inlet side of your radiator. Nearest to your water pump. I've never had experiance with any other types or even seen a different type.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts