Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Totallynew
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So my radiator fan will not turn on. I'm guessing it's either the fan assembly or the temp sensor inside of the radiator. It's a 2008 zzr600, all fuses look good, and I don't have an idea where to start. Fan is supposed to kick in at 220, but will not turn on, and temperature will just continue to rise to 230, 240 etc.

Anybody have any suggestions?

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Grab a multimeter and do some checking. I would start with the fan relay. If your temp gauge is still reading then the sensor should be good. I seriously doubt it's a bad fan motor

G

·
Grab a multimeter and do some checking. I would start with the fan relay. If your temp gauge is still reading then the sensor should be good. I seriously doubt it's a bad fan motor
Sensor for the fan & the sensor for the gauge are separate on the zzr so it wont follow that if one works the other does :)

I would start by unplugging the fan wires & putting 12v & earth to them, if the fan spins there is either a dead sensor or its lost its power, my money is on the sensor itself

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
I would start by unplugging the fan wires & putting 12v & earth to them, if the fan spins there is either a dead sensor or its lost its power, my money is on the sensor itself
^Exactly what i was about to say. Start there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
On almost every Kawi the fan switch is on the back side of the radiator, typically on the left. It has two wires. Undo the connector, and with the key on, short the two terminals on the bike side connector. The fan should spin. If it doesn't, the fan relay could be suspect, or the fan motor itself. The relay is just an automatic switch controlled by the thermo switch on the radiator (the fan pulls too much current to reliably pass through the thermo switch, it would burn out eventually so relays are used).

If the fan does spin when the connector is shorted, the sensor itself is bad. These sensors are fairly generic, bring it to a Napa and I can almost guarantee they can match it up to something. The one on my Vmax was the same as one from an '88 Nissan Sentra and a tiny fraction of the cost of getting one from Yamaha.

·
Totallynew
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for anyone who searches for an answer to this,

replaced the sensor in the radiator on the left side. Fixed the problem. Fan now works properly like stock when at proper temperatures! ^^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts