Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a TL1000R Fighter. It has 2 radiators, the upper is the curved type but the lower is flat and not near as wide. I want to ditch the upper and replace it with just the lower one in it's place. They both have about 80 sq. inches of cooling area and are the same thickness. since I took off all the plastic it never gets above 180 deg even in traffic on a hot day. Do you think one will be enough? I will have to mod the lower alot to make it work so I want to be sure.
Thanks

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
No it does have 2 rads Haelo. The oil cooler on the R is what the oil filter screws into. The lower rad is going to need one of the top inlets blocked off. Also going to have to make new mounts for the fans. Not sure what part of Cali you're in Killer but you know as well as I the TL's are known for being water boilers on a hot day. Even naked. So if you decide to stick with the lower only be sure you have the fan on a switch. As for options, You can swap to the TLS rad although you need to "T" into the water pipe for the oil cooler. The newer GSXR rads are actually quite pretty. Big, but they are superbike style so they have that taper at the bottom.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Scrap, I live in Sacramento and it does get hot. I'm thinking about finding a larger 1 piece rad from another bike as you suggested. I've sat and stared at it for a month thinking about all the modding and if it doesn't work both the rads are trashed.
Thanks for the replys

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
welcome to the club killer. familiar name. there is another killer tiller on TLzone. except he's from NY. a side note on the running cool. a lesson on fairing design that i learned a few years ago. my brother's full faired TLR ran a consistent 4-6 degrees cooler in all conditions compared to my fightered TLR. there is a guy in europe i think that is only running one radiator (off a cagiva raptor which uses the TLR motor). and another guy running only the stock upper one without too much problem, another guy in australia running a gsxr single unit, and yet another guy in australia who is currently building one using two lowers welded together as one long unit which looks way cool. why do you want to run just one? good luck, and congrats on fightering a TLR.:party-smiley:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome Beast. I don't like the look of the curved top one. So I want to put the filler neck on the bottom and do the other mods to make it fit up top for a cleaner look and less weight. I think at this point I'm going to get a TLS Rad. from the salvage yard and try it since it's straight. If I like it fine, if not but it works I'll mod the bottom one. I'm thinking of getting a plastic copy of the drama mask's with the smile on one and the frown on the other. I can;t remember what it's called but I thought it might make a cool headlight. What do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts