Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
98 Posts
I would say yes, unless you got a bigger, or faster fan. Or possibly 2 fans. Might wanna run direct wiring for them and then wire them to the thermostat switch so they still kick on the right temp.

Personally i have my fan wired so it runs the entire time the bikes on, but i've also removed alot of electrical components and havent had any battery problems....knock on wood.

·
890 Posts
Might be OK if you get a radiator that is of a similar volume, but has a smaller surface area. Check out the GSX1400 or the SV1000 and you'll see what I mean.

And the double fan idea from cbrf is not a bad idea either just for peace of mind.

·
hack
729 Posts
I have a stupid question... why do bikes even have thermostats? wouldnt you always want maximum flow? or is it to keep the engine up to a certain temp to allow more complete combustion? and if thats the case is it for emissions or performance? ok, thats four stupid questions

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
a consistant temp is better for a more dependable tuning. old carby bikes ran iffy cold well if you didnt have a thermostat theyd run like that all the time. then youd be putting bigger jets cus cold air has more oxygen in and waste more gas. same with fuel injection.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Yeah. The engine has to be a certain temperature to run most efficiently. The water cooling system will cool it better than it needs to be cooled.

EGR valves cool the cylinders? Actually, EGR valves are to re-burn rich mixtures after they've left the engine.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
I went from a FZR Radiator to a 636 radiator which is double the size.. PLUS I mounted 2 fan's and hard wire'd them to a switch. Though I dont think my bike will ever get hot enough to turn the fan's on, I can turn them on whenever I want and the bike will stay cool as fuck..

Put it this way.. After riding around the city for just over an hour, in stop and go traffic with the fan's running. I can get off the bike and grab the radiator with my bare hands and its luke warm to the touch. :knucks:

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
egr do not reburn. if they did they would have to be the same size as the manifold. thatd be a huge valve. they reintroduce burnt fumes that will not burn so they make cooler cylinder temp reducing nitrogens of oxide. ever notice variable cam timing cars have no egr valves ? they can move the exhaust timing further forward so the exhuast stroke starts later so not as much exhaust has a chance to escape. thats why cars run higher than 14.6 so they dont run lean. this also reduces gas mleage cus your using more fuel to keep from getting lean. this is why cars cant get as good of mileage as they di in the 80's. and also catalytic convertors, the companies flood the motor so that extra fuel ends up in the cat and makes it burn hot. kinda stoking the fire if you will. get them hotter and they burn cleaner. so in essence you waste fuel and get better emissions. wierd huh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.