Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been off the site for a while. Winter hit Chicago pretty darn hard this year. But I got my bike out of storage 2 days ago (on the first nice day in months) and brought my klr to my shop to finish customization for spring.

I have a question about the radiator. On the Klr it's on the left side and fuck ugly. I've considered relocating it (centering it or relocating it under the seat), before I attempt those options I wanted to check if there is any possibility I can just use a high performance smaller radiator? Or am I stuck with the stock one?

I am not super familiar with cooling but I know relocation will require extra fans, longer hoses, more reservoir room because of displacement and a relatively similar position in height compared to the motor. That's a lot of work and I am willing to do it if it is my only option.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advanced.

P.s.
I also have a different tank that I want to mount it's an older xl500 tank, the Petcock is a non-vaccuum one. My current klr tank has a vacuum Petcock am I going to have a problem with going to a non-vacuum one?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Becareful with the hoses. I had an alternate routing of the cooling hoses on my GSXR and they kept getting cooked. I used the heat shielding covers and heat shielding tape to protect with little sucess. I eventually bought a stock replacement that I will be installing this weekend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think relocation would be the last thing I would want to do. I was wondering would a smaller radiator work? like something for a 450 dirt bike? this is an example

if say I ran the fan all the time on this smaller radiator would I be able to keep my engine cool? or is that a fucking stupid idea... thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts