Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my bike DOES bog down without the RAM intakes when I hit about 90 or so, I've had to make my own. I've tried a few things, ugly PVC joint peices, a bad attempt at a fiberglass job... the difficult thing is to get them symetrical.

This is a rough draft of my final product. I used 3" PVC pipe as the majority of it, but cut it up a bit and covered it with fiberglass to make it look... well, not like PVC pipe :) The end result I'm hoping will flow with the frame and the lines coming off the tank.

A couple notes. First, I still have the rubber boots inside, from the frame to the airbox. You can see the mesh on the outside, I have it on to regulate some of the air otherwise it rams too much in. You could try it without the mesh but IIRC I tried it without mesh one time a while back and it didn't work so good.

To get the tubes fit perfectly I cut a rough pattern, then fit the pipe taking off bit by bit with a handsaw and a file. Then when I had one made perfect, I wrapped it with construction paper, made a pattern of it, took it off and inverted the pattern and used it to get the tube for the other side, thus ensuring both tubes were as symetrical as possible. Then some extra cutting and fiberglassing to make it contour how I wanted. ect.

To finish them off I'll sand down the fiberglass smooth, finish taking off the edges of the mesh, and I'll use JB weld to fill in the gap where the tubes meet the frame. That way once the frame is painted the tubes will look like they are part of the frame.

Hope this gives some help for a solution to the dreaded "bog." I havnt gone a top speed run yet, but in the one pic you can see the "MAXSPD" on my speedo reading... well, fast enough, and there was no bogging at all.

p.s. you can also see the new exhaust hanger I made. Not as cool as Joe's, but not bad for just a welder and a torch. It'll be painted black with the frame too

Attachments

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The tubes should finish off nicely, just wanted to post some pics "in progress"

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Ya the tubes look good, nice little write up! I was wondeirng if you had an aftermarket air filter on it? It's probably been discussed but I was wondering if a air filter would help with the bog or not.

Nate

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
cant you buy or use some originals cut down, seems to work ok on mine, though when I tried to use mesh it didnt work the engine seemed to be restricted in air flow,
Ive came to the conclustion Im gonna get some more aluminium water jet cutting done and make end to the standard cut of tubes, and water cut square 1/2 inch holes in the end to garentee air flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Candyman, I LOVE your bike. It's gotta be one of the coolest on the forum. I think one of the things that makes it so great is that you actually made alot of the parts instead of just picking them out of catalog and bolting them on (sadly, i've been doing alot of that lately). Once you get the frame and ram tubes painted your bike will be top notch. Nice work, major props.:rock:

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
indySV1K I dont think anyone has bought stuff out of a catalog and bolted it on,

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Britjoe said:
indySV1K I dont think anyone has bought stuff out of a catalog and bolted it on,
cmon now... you can find some stuff out there. just gotta dig.

for the most part we try to be as creative as possible and original, but sometimes *cough* (acerbis) *cough* you dont have a lot of options and just gotta buy something.

:D

candyman... keep us posted with your tube escapades. good to see whats working, and Not working. other people will encounter this problem

·
Registered
97 Posts
Britjoe said:
Joe, this comment was not meant to insult anyone. I know alot of our members have some kickass bikes and didn't use bolt on parts (yourself included). I just really like what Candyman has done with his ride. Hopefully no one else has been offended by my comments.:surrender: :sorry0:

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
I didnt mean to cause a fuss, I think most tend to make stuff, look at me winner BOTM March, and Sully BOTM this month, I cant speak for Sully but I cut, hammer, and weld, shit, its all part of the fun, Acerbis fairings is a answer, but they really dont work that well, and with a little thinking for a fraction of the cost you can make your self that works alot better.

Anyhow I dont know what Im on about, I just got in from nightshift, and I ran out of gas on the way home, so I guess im alittle tired.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.

No, still running stock air filter.

And ya Joe brings a good point to any Newbies reading this thread; that just because this exact setup worked on my bike, it might not work on your bike. Every bike is different, just experiment and see what works and what doesn't, then get creative.

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
IndySV1K said:
Candyman, I LOVE your bike. It's gotta be one of the coolest on the forum. I think one of the things that makes it so great is that you actually made alot of the parts instead of just picking them out of catalog and bolting them on (sadly, i've been doing alot of that lately). Once you get the frame and ram tubes painted your bike will be top notch. Nice work, major props.:rock:
:Stupid:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts