Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 338 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I emailed back and forth with the owner of a 1978 Honda CB360T, we worked out the details of the trade to take place and got to know one another enough to be comfortable with the idea of letting our possesions go for something we wanted. An equal was reached and we were satisfied.

I grew more and more exited about the possibility of having my FIRST (nastalgia was driving me to this point also) true street bike BACK under me (my 10th bike, 2nd 360T, 3rd Cafe project :D), to feel the top rpm pull and to hear the insane high rpm intake howl, the addiction of that first drink of the kool-aid was the nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I took off today from my place to drive a half mile or so across the east side to this guys place, I pull onto his street and find his house number, not a moment after I stop and put my truck in park a blue S10 pickup pulls past me and stops. In the bed of the truck is a 1989 Ninja 750R, his NEW bike.

30 min later I am leaving the dudes house, I'm totally freaked out, I kept looking in the rear view mirror at my new bike! It's so fucking clean, I'm telling you I could eat off the engine and carbs!! The wiring is in immaculate condition, the factory seat is in perfect condition, the emblems and side covers are all there, the gas tank is painted like crap but it is free of rust and dents. This bike is perfect for my plans! :rock:

The dude even gave me EXTRA's!!

I have to get some stuff straitened out on this beast, get it fired up, take it down the road, make sure it feels fine to start into with the sawz-all, and then I'm going to get right the fuck down to buisness and DO WORK!! :D

RatFighter

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's negative fucking 2 degree's... I'm still not able to help myself... I gotta DO WORK!! :D

FlatBars

MadMax style :rock: (Thanks for the mock fitment Toc!)

I can't wait to get more done, 20 miles of a divide, but so close to my heart, even after a few hours. The only material possesion I truelly love is motorcycles, more than anything else material in this WHOLE world. Truelly passionate!

RatFighter :knucks:

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
It's negative fucking 2 degree's... I'm still not able to help myself... I gotta DO WORK!! :D

FlatBars

MadMax style :rock: (Thanks for the mock fitment Toc!)

I can't wait to get more done, 20 miles of a divide, but so close to my heart, even after a few hours. The only material possesion I truelly love is motorcycles, more than anything else material in this WHOLE world. Truelly passionate!

RatFighter :knucks:
Thats a+ REP fer that beautie mate ,well done ..

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support everyone! I really appreciate CF's warm welcome to every kind of bike you can find. I could be fightering a goldwing (kinda did over the summer) and ya'all are happy to see someone building a fighter!

I'm going to be heading out to the garage today to put some more work in. I'm thinking of taking all the parts inventory and figure out what I do and don't have to get this thing to the next level. I'm hoping for first fire by the end of the weekend. First ride some time next week, and the saw and welder to come out in the next month.

I'm trying to make the deadline for Fighter Fest so I can ride out from Wisconsin. No idea where I will get the money, no idea how I will make due with my anxiety issues, but I'm going to do whatever I can do to get there with my bike!

RacingGeek, I'll figure out what I do and don't need and PM ya with some pics of the extra's. Depending on what I do for the seat/tail I may have a factory seat for you. I'm going to check on what I have for other parts and see if I can fill in some of the gaps your bike has cosmetically or mechanically (if any). I know for a fact I have a CL350 seat in alright condition, I may be able to convince my bro to shape and cover it for your build. I know I have some CL350 wheels, a CL350 front end minus top triple. I have tons of stuff you can have if you need it! Free parts rule. :D

-RatFighter

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This seems to be turning into a blog type thing here. No problem. :D

I got up this morning, kinda foggy from the night before, flipped a smoke out the pack, lit it up, wandered down to the garage, damn it was cold! I happily grinned as I looked at my prize, what a beutiful beast it is! I started noticing something though... the rear wheel isn't strait... wtf!? The moron musta' been dog trackin' all over the place with it out of alignment like that!! I didn't notice that before.

It started to dawn on me I havn't looked over the stuff that would really indicate a crash as I was too taken by the fact it was so clean and everything was there. I had noticed the bent peg and handlebar on the bike, but they were opposite sides, seemed like a few dumb moments on slippery shit to me, we've all been there starting out on bikes, some go down, others don't. This guy must have.

I soon realised that the seat pan is tweaked!! How the fuck do you do that? I though Honda seat pans from the 70's were recycled tank shells. :fu: :D

So it's looking like the parts list is going to be something like this:

Dirt bike/cafe style seat, Dirtbike rear fender/side covers. Whatever fits, really.

I gotta scrap those fucking drag bars. I sat on the bike enough times to see my body can't take that shit. Plain and simple, 27"-31" dirtbike style "un-braced" bars. Low rise, low pullback, but I can't take clipons. Long story short, I hate clipons and the drag bars feel way too much like em'. :(

The rear subframe is ugly. Plain and simple, it's hideous. That fucker is coming off yesterday. I am thinking of an overbraced swingarm and a total remake on the subframe to allow it to be more compact and closer to the frame, expose more of that rear wheel under the dirtbike fender and side covers.

The engine is another story alltogether. It is beutiful and I can't wait to add a set of tube's and pod's. (Tubes for smooth airflow to the venturi's and pods for the noise and performance!) I'm going to see what I can work up for a 2-1 exhaust and an upswept modern muffler from the likes of Yoshimura. We'll see what happens there. I'm going to give it a shot tracking down some mild-agressive cams, not sure what I'll be able to turn up, but I'll see whats out there, could be fun. As well as the cams, I'm also looking at 400 pistons, I've heard of it, sounds worth exploring. But aside from an exhaust and filters/jetting, I'm not see'ing much in the near futer for the engine area.

Suspension wise, as mentioned, a single shock from a VF500 may find it's way into the build, I'm looking at what can be done for a dual disk on the front, better fork valving, chassis gusseting, etc. Again, we'll have to see what fits, what works, etc. I have found the Bridgestone BattleAxe BT-45 in a 90/90-18 front and 110/80-18 rear, sticky tires and some reworking of the chassis/suspension it may become a weapon in the twisty bits!! :rock:

Still, everything is so cold the fuel lines would snap off if I tried to bend them to the petcock, wire sheathing would crack, and a dropped peice of plastic could shatter. Planning is on the table right now, once it gets above 35 or so I will get to the wrenching. But for now it's sending out emails to a spoke company, talking to the local suspension guru's, and get much of my shit together to be able to pull this build off!

Stay tuned! Things will pick up as soon as the temps do!! :D:D

-RatFighter :rock:

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
From what I remember reading on dotheton, I think cams are ~$300. I could be mistaken though. What's with the 400 pistons? Do you have any way of checking to see if the frame is tweaked?

The cold is why I haven't really done anything to my bike yet. The garage was 12* this morning and even after leaving the propane heater on for an hour, it was only up to ~35*. I'm afraid to sit on the seat becuase I'll probably end up cracking it.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I remember reading on dotheton, I think cams are ~$300. I could be mistaken though. What's with the 400 pistons? Do you have any way of checking to see if the frame is tweaked?

The cold is why I haven't really done anything to my bike yet. The garage was 12* this morning and even after leaving the propane heater on for an hour, it was only up to ~35*. I'm afraid to sit on the seat becuase I'll probably end up cracking it.

Ouch! Scratch cams off the list I guess! :doh:

The 400 piston swap from what I have read/heard back when I had my first 360 takes knowing the right people and places to have a set of rods made to fit the bigger CB400T pistons to a bored and sleeved 360 jug. I'm looking for bottom end power (and I got an ace up my sleeve about this bike too), but the more I put together a price list, it's looking like I may just run what I have and go for the handling aspect to improve. At least for now.

Checking the frame isn't a big deal as it's the subframe at the very rear that's tweaked, but only slightly, things are off by less than half an inch but it's enough for me to want to dig into it.

The main hoop that holds the engine and steering stock is fine, I went over that with some measurements the other morning and figured out the thing looks fine in a quick check so I am just looking at chopping the rear half of the frame off, getting some tubes bent, cutting some gussets and taking the whole mess to a guy I know that welds car chassis and bike frames on a regular basis. So the mono shock, over braced swinger and updated rear half of the bike will be the first thing to happen.

Confession time I guess, since this is INDEED going to happen. I ride alot of wheelies. The more this bike is capable of clutching up a nice long 2nd gear minger the better. The CL125 I had recently was a wheelie machine and it felt like a baby version of the '76 360T I had some years ago, this time the 360T is going to get ridden like a modern sportbike! The more I clean up the rear half of the bike, the more I look a the modern bodywork laying around the garage and the more I think about it, I'm figuring on this being taken to a diffrent level of Cafe' than the standard average, truelly a Cafe'-Fighter by the end!

Again bro (Racing Geek), anything I pull off this beast that I don't need, and it will be ALOT, is all yours. The bike is getting totally revamped over the winter/spring months and there will be too much stuff to just throw away or store anywhere in the garage so if you have space you will have a few boxes of CB360T parts at your disposal.

-RatFighter

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A full on build can be had from that CL way easier than my CB. I have to dig into good parts to make what I want. The CL can be built the way you want it right from the get-go.

I look at it like this, my bike has to be taken apart and checked over. The CL came from a well versed rider/builder and everything is accounted for as to what needs to be fixed/replaced. I truelly have more work ahead of me to go "ground up" on this build.

·
10,448 Posts
I just meant it sounds like he has less work to get it on the road but I suppose with all the stuff he's going to be changing it will probably be more. I mean he was writing about how clean the motor looks. For me, the big thing I'm worried about is the cost of rebuilding the motor. I haven't opened it up yet, but I would think there will be some rest in there since it wasn't really sealed off. I'm hoping it is just light and a hone will take care of it but I suppose there is only one way to find out. I'm actually heading out there right now. The other thing I have to worry about is if I'll be able to get a title or not. :(

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure there isn't much rust in an aluminum motor like that regardless of the time it sat. I did an engine swap on a 1972 Yamaha DT250 Enduro over the summer. The engine that was getting swapped in had been sitting on the side of a shed for literally 22 years. Swapped a few parts from the original motor, cleaned it up a little, and it fired right up! Despite the Yamaha being a 2 stroker and yours being a 4 I don't think you will have problems at all.

Things may look like an uphill battle but you gotta know that if an engine isn't cracked anywhere or leaking fluids excessivly your in the clear. I'm sure a hone and some rings will have the bottom end right as rain. Once it gets warmer I'll even drive out to the Milwaukee area and help ya out getting things cleaned up and ready to rock. I think elsewhere CK even offerd the same. Everyone seems to have you covered dude. It's all good.

I would swap anyone any day for a bike that has engine issues rather than a tweaked chassis and shit electronics (my last 360 had electical issues). For all it matters, if all falls through, you can aquire a parts bike for a few hundred bucks (I checked one out on craigslist the other day for $400) and combine the two of them to get a bike on the road.

I've still got a mystery of a bike on my hands to be honest, the guy said it was a voltage regulator and included one with the bike, but until it's installed and a new battery is in there, I have no idea if I even have a running bike, on top of it the chassis issues. I think we are accually on a level playing field for how much we gotta do to get on the road this summer.

I built my first bike out of boxes, literally, every nut and bolt, every peice of steel, rubber, and plastic, I started with a bare frame and engine and went from there on up. Over 2 thousand dollars invested, over 500 hours of research, wrenching, thinking, and working my ass off for the end result. After all was said and done, I never got it running right when it was still an XS650, it turned into XS Interceptor even running like shit. I did find out it was an 800+cc big bore setup with Mikuni 38mm carbs from a Suzuki mated to the engine via a hefty port job and intake boots from who knows what.

You have the benefit of seeing EVERYTHING and KNOWING exactly what you have. It will save you alot of pain in the end. Finding the factory timing, fuel, and gearing is all waaay off from what it should be is sad when it isn't even right for what it is, in my case I thought I had a 650cc twin, I was soooo wrong. You will know your engine inside and out by the end and it will make you a much better rider to know every inch of your bike, trust me on that.

The first cafe' I built. Isn't it CLEAN?! I still bite my lip and try to hold back the tears of anguish every time I see this picture. If I only knew what I had.

I had GOLD in my hands after I started putting my time and effort into this machine. If I had only known it was a BUILT engine I would have had everything set right (first time tuning a bike EVER), but, trying to do it per factory spec it never came out the way it should have and in turn never ran right. I gave up on it and it sat for almost a year before I chopped it apart, parted out the stuff I didn't need, and made XS Interceptor.

Don't get discouraged, you have ALL the help in the world at your finger tips for this 360 of yours, hell, I'll probably be pestering CK about procedure/tuning/tips before my build is done. :D

No worries bro, we are all here for one another! All for one and one for all! :rock:

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:doh:

Unless I want to build a drag swingarm supermoto the GPz shit ain't gonna work. Fuck.

Plan B!! New fork oil, new rear shocks (slightly longer), toss some rear sets on it, pod filters, new exhaust, and wheelie the fucking shit outta this thing in the process of wearing out my sliders on my suit. I found a pair of tires that look promising, 90/90-18 Front 110/80-18 Rear Bridgestone BattleAxe BT-45's.

I've no idea what I ride for aside from that feeling you get from riding a 3 mile long 2nd fuckin' gear minger and making all your rider buddies shake their heads like your a total nutter. Nothing quiet like it my friends, you gotta try it some time! My Bandit 1200 bit me with the addiction of wheelies and steady speed and slowing them down became the normality after summer 2008. 2010 will pick up on the far back roads away from the public eye once again! The next update will be a video, pictures, or something just as good!

Bless my parents hearts! They are cool with me taking my bike and lugging it up the stairs (Dad offered to help me too!) to the back "lean-to" shed that is HEATED to work on my bike! I swear without my parents I would not be who I am and doing as well as I am. They are a true driving force for me to succeed in life! Whatever the fuck success in life is, from all I know it's having more moments of happieness than sadness, and to tell ya the truth, that's fine for me, motorcycles do it for me the way a woman can do it for some dudes. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks I suppose.

Cafe' tail for RacingGeek. Ya know me, I'm a picture nut. If a thread I create doesn't have a picture in it, there is something wrong or serious going on!

BTW, anyone here stunt an older bike? Like say, vintage class equipment?

-RatFighter

·
10,448 Posts
I don't but here are some pictures of others that do or have done it...

I don't know the name of the guy pictured above but there was another guy that did this ^^ named Mike Bell. They started doing this in the late 60's

Then there are the Seattle Cossacks...

I've seen these guys perform in person and it's really neat.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly! I thought "Goose" instantly when I saw it, I'm thinking it will stay on there until I can't stand it or RacingGeek wants it for wind protection. Either way, the more I look at this little CB360 the more I want to ride the shit out of it. I remember being so shakey on my '76, putting it down coming into a driveway, feeling like a total moron on it. But NOW, I feel like that bike is my toy, like I will have no problem beating the tar out of it through a twisty road and tossing the front end up in any gear under 4th.

First things first I gotta get it running, figure out the level of wear on the suspension, and then I can start in on the fabrication work. I can't get ahead of myself just yet, but as summer approaches I may change the plans and get a box of stuff together for someone to take off my hands. For now though, I'm going to look into what I have and what I don't.

You can look forward to plenty of tank and helmet cam footage in the summer months from this little monster chasing modern 600 and liter bikes through the twistys! I can promise that with full confidence!!

RG, I was thining more modern terms of stunt riding. Like circle wheelies. Did them on my CL125 and loved it, just wondering if I'm the only one that is into that sort of thing on a waaaay older chassis. I've never been able to afford a fiddy so the under 200cc bikes for a few bucks always sufficed and since getting away from cruisers and 120hp bikes lately I have found my freestyle BMX roots once again and keep coming back to the need to circle wheelie, just this time it's with a motor, throttle, and not my foot and a rear peg on a BMX bike. Either way, awsome photo's!! True talent. I got to see a drill crew ride some years back and was amazed at their level of bike control on 600+lb Harley Davidson police bikes. Truelly a level of skill any stunt rider should hope to get to!

·
being normal is to easy
779 Posts
nice find brother, i like the old hondas. my brother had a cb350 for 25 years, my dad cafe'd it for him when he was 16. things were tight so he had to part with it last summer.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I sat on the CB last night, it dawned on me as my back began to cramp and my feet felt way too far forward of me. I realised I had effectivly done the equivelent to clipons to my bike by using the drag bars. I began to allow the charisma to wear off and realised a full on rock hard plank of wood seat and low bars type cafe is indeed not what I am after. Unfortunatly. :(

I began tossing ideas around, thinking of ways to get a set of big, wide, dirt bike bars. Before my little bro bought the intense 100+hp, 160mph (indicated) experience that is known as Bee*R, we were headed for a place (personal sale) that had a MINT 1977 Honda CB750. Super Sport was an understatement of this bike, it was British Racing Green (awsome color on the old MG's, even better on this bike we were looking at), it was black accented with bits of polished aluminum here and there. The one thing that stood out aside from the 4-1 exhaust was the 31" low rise, low pull back handlebars. They set the bike off perfectly, it looked like a late 70's/early 80's superbike! Unfortunatly it was sold 2 hours before we got there. :(

I got to talking to my super fucking awsome neighbor and he offerd me the 31's that my bro pulled off Zed and gave him for his sled. I was happy to aquire more free parts, even if they were just coming back to me from my buddy, it was cool with me. RacingGeek can have the drag bars now and I have the comfort I was looking for. Everyone wins! :D

After crashing at 100+ you get a good idea of what the human body is capable of withstanding, but in the end, you take some of that abuse with you to the grave. I hurt ALOT, more times than not. I'm not going to go into rant mode about the damage I have done, but I just can't take riding with low bars anymore, my Bandit had flatbars for that same reason.

I've seen some of you guys are ex Freestyle BMX riders, you of all people would know that spending 15 years and getting to a nearly pro level you take some hits. I took a fair share for 5 people. I've broken alot of bones, lost alot of skin, and fucked my head up pretty good too. Wear you helmets kids! Basically I NEED to have a level of comfort when on a bike. I like to do 400 mile days with a stop for a long walk through a park or something inbetween all the riding. Low bars won't allow it at all for me so they got scrapped for these:

I got everything mounted, ran the wires outside the bars, got everything plugged in, used some jumper cables and put some power to it, the headlight works but the high beam is burned out, oh well, I have a bunch of round headlights around so I might have a replacement. Still I havn't put blinkers on it, again, easy, no big deal.

I couldn't help myself though, the bug of nearing first fire bit me, so I had to find a spark plug, and indeed it THUMPS while it's kicking nice clean; clear spark! Good compression, good ignition, good wiring, fucking hell guys, I think I may have scored one of the final CB360's in existence that is in every day rideable condition with little maintnence and replacement of anything on it. I'm really impressed!

Getting Closer!!

Oh yeah, the subframe isn't bent. Stupid me, it was a mangled seat pan and it was too cold to measure things right. After some time with a cloth measureing tape for fabric I got it threaded through the parts I coulnd't get the metal tape through and double checking with the rear hoop off, it's all good. If it's off it's only by a few millameters or so. I'm cool with that. And I went nuts on the seat pan and bent it back to where it "looks" level with the bike so it appears to be good to go.

Once I get first fire, it WILL be on film, I'll post it up, should be tonight or tomorrow. :knucks:

Working my ass off,

RatFighter

1 - 20 of 338 Posts