Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Will have a bike... soon
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, long time no post.

I just wanted to ask the experts here if polyester filler can be applied on top of sanded rattle-can primer. The stuff I bought locally (Chamaleon 503, the label says it's a polyester filler with chopped fiberglass) says "can be applied to paint and lacquer coatings or 2-part acrylic primer", but that it shouldn't be applied to reactive base coats, nitrocellulose paint or 1-part acrylic primers.

Is there a reason why the combination of poly filler and spray-can primer wouldn't go well together? I've never worked with a poly filler before, but I didn't think it contained any sort of solvents or reactive agents that would harm regular acrylic primer. The piece I'm working on needs to have good adhesion between the primer and filler.

Thanks in advance dudes.

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
If you want good results, and the can says not to do it...

I've never had a problem laying filler over any sort of primer, but if I found myself in your situation here, I have to say, I'd be throwing down a top coat and sanding before I put down filler.

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
some poly resins may have been thinned with a acetone- type of solvent.
I normally would only use two stage poly primers because using single stage primers such as rattle cans is a weak spot in a paint job. the stuff is real chalky when dry and will tear off itself causing the rest of the paint to peel off and chip easily. Also, since t doesn't have a hardener, it will react to reducers easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts