Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I asked my buddy how his honda shadow was doing as he mentioned that his dad picked one up and was going to fix it and give it to him.

To my surprise he asked his father and he told him shit, I have no time to work on it so I am going to junk it. Then a 1 hour drive and a friend to load it into my borrowed van.....
VIOLA a free bike project. It is in rough shape and hasn't been run since.... Well look at the license plate.

No gas tank but everything else looks intact

Main thing I want is to use the engine since it is a two stroker and or heavily modify the steel frame

ANY KNOW HOW TO DO A CHAIN CONVERSION ON ONE OF THESE BADBOYS... it is a shaft drive?

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,689 Posts
That's not a 2 stroke my friend. It's a 2 CYLINDER. As for the shaft to chain, not happening unless you either A. want to ride backwards really fast or B. want to figure out a way setup jackshafts to reverse the output direction.

What year and size is it? 750, 1100? You'll find that either way it has some pretty good pull when going down the road.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... not sure of the year but it is a 750

I just read up on the conversion and looks like it is not happening as you just said....

so I will have to figure out a different plan for the rear wheel.

on the hunt for some upside downs on ebay for the next few weeks and will start cutting it up probably next week to reshape the body and tank area....

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,689 Posts
If it's a matter of swapping wheels, it can be done. Look at Magna's, Sabress, Ascot's, other shaft drive Honda bikes for wheels.

Alternatively, if you read through my Sabre build, I'm planning on using Katana wheels by machining the sprocket carrier flat to the wheel and retaining my drive flange. The machining would serve to take away the space that keeps the sprocket away from the wheel, and let the flange sit flat to the wheel like it does stock. This would open up a number of wheels, though you may have to change bearings in some to accomodate the stock Honda axle size.

You will be limited to how wide you can go, but you could at least have better wheels, and a little better tire size selection. For example, my Sabre the stock tire is 130 wide, 140 is a safe fit, but with the Katana swap (which is a slightly wider wheel) I can easily go to 150, maybe 160 for width.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DW

don't expect this build to be fast, this part was fast as I already had the extra parts to do this so no money or time was spent other than getting the parts from my parent's shed.

the first thing that had to go was the front end so in went the spare fzr 1000 front end I had laying around from when I swapt out the forks on that motorcycle...

I was worried that it would be way to short but the honda shadow front end had a rake that was increased by the top tree... It was pushed farther back than the bottom tree to increase the degree of rake. because of that it actually looks like I didn't loose any clearance at all?????

SWEET.

it is in but still have to have a bearing spun before I ever decide to ride it (which will be a while) No worries I have my fzr1000 streetfighter to ride as this is going to be a longer project.

Well I know, enough with the girl talk and post some pics...

here is the old front end

here is the fzr1000 front end and tire.

the bars will be next week, I am going to put r1 clipons on my fzr so I can take the top thing a mob parts and put them on the honda to put dirty bars on it

·
Jacob TwoWheel
46 Posts
I am assuming there is a Vin still attached somewhere...If you can find it and it is legable punch it in here http://www.decodethis.com/ and it should at least tell you the year and displacement and all that Jazz.

Reactions: bigbutts

·
147 Posts
I have a 2001 shadow spirit 1100
I'd love to do a shadow with clip ons
My 1100 really puts down the power,for a cruiser it gets up and goes very well
Just behind the headlight on the main frame there should be a sticker telling you the year
Where the cylinder head meets the engine crankcase there should be numbers casted on the case stating the cc size

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been able to get the shadow to turn over with excellent compression, but when I turn the bike on it gets no spark and the fuel pump does not start. I took apart the ignition and hot wired it with same result

killed the ignition switch and still no spark or fuel pump.

everything else works, signals, lights, horn.

the odd thing is that when you turn it off it has a spark and the fuel pump thumps once.

I can not for the life of me figure out why it has spark and pump when the engine swith is killed or power is just stopped.

It is an 83 honda shadow.

I connected the two switch wires on top that are red and black and the two middle wires just like the ignition switch does (does the same thing with ignition switch installed also).

random information is that it had two wires that were not connected to anything (the same type of thing came from factory for my fzr also?

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
I have a 85 VT1100 myself- and I have been collecting parts. I am waiting for the 1985 honda sabre swing arm to arrive- if it fits, I will have lots of info for you! The 1985 Honda Sabre ( a V4 BTW) has a mono-shock swing arm. A 1992 and up VT1100 C2 (Also confusing because it is called a "shadow spirit" and "Shadow Sabre) has a spoked wheel. If I can fit the spoked wheel (awaiting for it to arrive from an e-bay auction) to the Shadow drive and Sabre swinger, then Buchanon makes an exell rim in 17" that will relace on to the C2 rim! Yeah me!

I live in Hawaii, so shipping has been my hold up so far, as soon as I get parts in, I will let you know- or you can jump on it on your own- the parts I listed are cheap delivered in the US mainland. I would start with a 1984 VF1100S swing arm though- they can be had for about 30 bucks, about 80-100 with ALL the hardware, including shock links and brake stays and wheel spacers/caliper mounts.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:knucks:
it is an old post, but the good and bad news is I still have the project. just cant find time to work on it. I still have big plans for this bad boy when I have the time and money :thumbsup:

I will be swapping the steering stems to the fzr front end in the next few weeks so at least one part of this build will be done for the summer. So keep me up to date with the info on the swaps:knucks:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts