Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls, I'm struggling to decide what i want to do in regards to the back end.
I'm coming to the end of my project, with only the off-set sprocket and the rear end re-welding.

But i haven't decided what I want and what it will look like.

Ive got 2 seats, 1 stock and 1 from a j1 ninja.

The stock seat sits that steep due to how it's supposed to sit.

I prefer the ninja seat but it doesn't sit perfectly like the stock seat so i was thinking, cut the stock seat down then somehow fiberglass around that?

Anyone got some tips/videos on someone reducing the size of a seat? the stock seats are expensive and i don't fancy ruining it.
Also tips on creating a whole new fiberglass seat surround? Most videos go on the fact people are repairing the fairing.

I know i could possibly get the ninja rear fairings and when im re-welding the rear end create it so it fits but the arse end is too big.

Also, failing having the skills with fiberglass to create a fiberglass fairing i was hoping to cut grooves into the under-seat plastics to sit on the frame (like cafe racer frame sitting in grooves on the seat) and just having the seat sit there with the end welded up with sheet metal to hide all the electrics (like a mudguard)

I know there's alot of raving in this post aswell as many questions. Guess i just want some feedback as im undecided on which route to go.

Any help would be amazing. Also the rear tail light is shotgun style and can be stuck into any rear end.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
There's a vid on how to make a custom seat online. But basically all you have to do is CAREFULLY remove the cover (if you want to use it again) by pulling the staples. Use a bread knife and sand paper/files/whatever to cut and shape the foam. Cut the rear of the seat pan to the shape you want using the appropriate tools. Then restretch the cover and staple it back down. Alternatively, you could cover the seat with syran wrap or aluminum foil, and a release agent, and fiber up the rear. Then sand and paint. Or make a mold you like, fiber it up and sand and paint.

I really like the chopped look of that ninja seat too. Make you a little foam cowl for the tail lights and fiberglass it. Or mount the lights in the mudgaurd.

·
Chemical X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i prefer the ninja seat and was hoping to stick the lights in the mudguard.

This project needs finishing soon as my bike just got stolen :(

·
I drank what?
51 Posts
remove the seat covering like mentioned and cover it with a trash bag to protect it and wrap where needed with tape.

use thin poster board to make out the shape you want and do lots of taping to make it curved or shaped how you want it.

spray with a release agent or similar, silicone spray or similar. Fiberglass overtop, sand out high spots, scuff heavy and do this to apply more layers. Sand smooth and using kitty hair bondo (bondo with fiberglass fibers in it) cover and sand down to desired smoothness, prime and paint.

building a mold is best, but can do with out.

rebuilt the tail section of my daytona this way as it was missing the back 6 inches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts