Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm SURE this thread already exists, but I've been searching for it for a while, and apparently my search-fu sucks.

I've seen a number of threads where people ask about this HID kit or that HID kit, and get some mixed replies. That's why I thought I'd go about it the other way. I'm going to be building my own front section, and I need a single HID projector to provide all the light for my riding, much of which will be night time, as I'm a working stiff.

Can anyone recommend a kit they've used and really liked?

Thanks =)

-- James

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,696 Posts
Definitely call Matt at The Retrofit Source. He'll hook you up with a good deal. Last time I talked to him he quoted me something like 80 for a complete single light setup, this included the projector, hid, ballast, shroud, wiring pigtails, the whole shebang.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so I just ordered my kit. It sounds like it has ALMOST everything I need. But apparently the projectors aren't ok to be exposed to the weather, which means i need to come up with some type of housing?

I had a vision in my head of this single bubble of light projecting out of the nose I'm building... now I'm not sure how to do this cleanly. Do they make projectors you can expose to the elements? Do I just need to suck it up and put a lens in my nose cone and sink the projector behind that?

What's the hot tip?

Thanks.

-- j

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got an FX-R LHD Projector in 2.5 inch. Not sure what to do with it. I'm considering trying to find glass for my nosecone assembly, and put it behind glass, but that's going to add a lot of complexity to building out the nosecone. Could be done though, and would look rather dope.

fwiw, my nosecone idea is inspired by something half way between a buell flyscreen, this front end http://supacustom.com/weslake-triumph-speed-triple/

and a cesta from jai alai (but only kinda)

I've got a friend who just built a vacuum forming table, so I'm going to be making up a basic mold and we'll make a plastic "cone" to stick everything under, and I was just going to cut grooves for the mirror stems to stick in, and a small hole for the hid projector lens to stick out of. Now I'm pondering getting a proper, safe lens to stick over the projector lens and protect it, and integrating that more tightly with the plastic piece so they meld into a single piece cosmetically. I'm just not sure what I'd do to ensure the beam stayed perfect through a (presumably) defracting lens)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm SURE this thread already exists, but I've been searching for it for a while, and apparently my search-fu sucks.

I've seen a number of threads where people ask about this hid xenon kits or that HID kit, and get some mixed replies. That's why I thought I'd go about it the other way. I'm going to be building my own front section, and I need a single HID projector to provide all the light for my riding, much of which will be night time, as I'm a working stiff.

Can anyone recommend a kit they've used and really liked?

Thanks =)

-- James
the only problem with HID is they are not legal. I am still using them and they are surely most effective:party-smiley::party-smiley:

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
the only problem with HID is they are not legal. I am still using them and they are surely most effective:party-smiley::party-smiley:
What you talkin bout Willis? Illegal inside a standard housing maybe, but not inside a DOT projector that came with HID from the factory.

I have never heard of anybody being pulled over for having HIDs in a regular housing, although I have seen a few that should be. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
will the slim type 55w. hid kits. really melt some of the plastic type headlight housing... been trying to figure out what to put in my headlight that is bright as hell and not just he normal yellow light bult. lol srry to jump on ur tread here. but trying to figure this out

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
I made an enclosure for my trs set up. Using plexiglass for the cover on my 7/11 build.

As others said it depends on the projector but piester has been running exposed projectors on his set up for a long time without issue I believe.

Nate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I ran exposed infinite J30 projectors for a long while and they never failed me or had any type of damage. Don't know about bi xenon's though and I'm in the same boat as yo., I guess I'll get a hold of those guys too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts