Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Long time reader but I post little. I'm looking to start a street fighter project, but unsure what bike I should look for. I currently have an R1 with every go-fast bit you can imagine from CF wheels to Ohlins suspension. I also have an HD Fat Bob for cruising. I do track days on the R1 if and when budget and schedule allows.

I had an SV650 before the Harley and miss it. It was the ideal commuter and hooligan bike. The HD is too lazy of a bike and the R1 is too much of a race bike to enjoy on the streets.

I'm handy with a wrench, great with wiring/lighting, can do fiberglass, but never welded. I would like recommendations on good fighter donor bikes that look good, are relatively cheap, and don't require a lot of fab work to meet my needs.

Ideally want a twin or super sport of 600cc or greater to throw bars and a round headlight on, and then have fun on.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
SV is a good recommend, VFR nice and some of the KZ's from early 2k are nice. I agree katanas are pretty fun and easy to chop - and for power, squeeze a carburated gsxr motor in it, which is a not to complicated swap.

for v-twin, some of the buells were cool and few people here did some nice chop jobs.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to keep the initial purchase at $2k or below. There is some flex either way. I've seen plenty of low sided bikes for that price range.

I'm thinking SV1000, as they seem easy to work with. those were some good suggestions. Love the Ducati sound, and Buells are cool, but parts and prices seem rarer/higher.

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
2K isnt alot for a beginner budget while also factoring a bike in the budget. i purchased my kat 600 for 1K an everything i have put in so far puts me at around 1600$, so just look around real closely.

budget bike will fit your needs but once your struck by the streetfighter bug. your budget will be surpassed

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
2K isnt alot for a beginner budget while also factoring a bike in the budget. i purchased my kat 600 for 1K an everything i have put in so far puts me at around 1600$, so just look around real closely.

budget bike will fit your needs but once your struck by the streetfighter bug. your budget will be surpassed
Lol! Reread his first post funny guy. He already got bit. That R1 is just waiting to have her clothes taken off.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely already bit. I had two R1s at one time, and wish I could have afforded to fighter one of them. The frame has some nice lines for a fighter.

$2k is just for initial bike purchase. I'm fine with piecing it together with good buys over time. I might wait until winter to buy, seems like better deals happen when it's cold out.

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
Lol! Reread his first post funny guy. He already got bit. That R1 is just waiting to have her clothes taken off.
reread his post again! :LolLolLolLol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts