Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have been having charging problems with my Ducati, thought i would run something past you guys. The regulator and wiring diagram look like this:

Everything i have found online seems to suggest that it doesn't matter which of those 3 yellow wires is connected to which of the 3 yellow wires that comes out of my alternator. Does that sound right?

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Hey, i have been having charging problems with my Ducati, blah blah blah
That is not a problem, that just means your Ducati is running right. Lemme guess, your clutch makes a ticking noise too?

:letsride:

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
bet that's tha reson there all yellow ..Fookin wiring confuses tha crap outta me fer sure .

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Everything i have found online seems to suggest that it doesn't matter which of those 3 yellow wires is connected to which of the 3 yellow wires that comes out of my alternator. Does that sound right?
Yeah, those three wires coming out of the alternator carry three phase AC power. Which means between any two of them, there is AC power, same for any of three possible pairs, just different phases. The rectifier turns the 3 AC pairs into dc, and doesn't care what the phase of each is.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Yeah, those three wires carry three phase AC power. Which means between any two of them, there is AC power, same for any of three possible pairs, just different phases. The rectifier turns the 3 phase into dc, and doesn't care what the phase is.
fantastic explanation. I was thinking of a way to explain it. :thumbsup:

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Here's the explanation in picture form:

Probably looks like greek if you can't read circuits, but the simple point to note is that the three lines coming from the 3 phase AC source connect to 3 sets of identical components that run in paralel; there's no way it could matter which line went to which component, because all 3 are the same component and connected to the load in the same way.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bet that's tha reson there all yellow ..Fookin wiring confuses tha crap outta me fer sure .
That's probably what that Coldplay bloke was singing about!

Here's the explanation in picture form:
Wow, wait, could it be?!

:D Thanks for the explanation, don't know much about the subject but that does make sense to me.

G

·
Just posting to confirm that there is no way it can matter which of the 3 yellows connect to which & to add a suggestion, instead of using the connector block on these three use proper soldered connections, I did this on my old 750ss & just that solved all the charging issues,

The same can be said for a lot of bikes as especially with older stuff its the connection that's at fault you only have to look at the burning on some of these stock cheap nasty connector blocks to see they can be a problem

·
old fart
3,716 Posts
:dito::dito::truestory: exactly what 4 cups says, hondas have a real habit of burning the connector out on the charging circuit yellow wires :oops: i remove it and solder the wires, never had a problem since :rock:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Honda's are notorious for burning out the stator to RR connector, eliminating it is ideal- it's not like you need to remove your stator regularly and need disconnects.

The other fun fact about R/Rs is that about 95% of them are made my one company, Shindenguen(?) or something like that. They have a part # stamped on them. If it starts with "SH" it's a shunt style rectifier, older style, less reliable, less tolerant of high draw which burns them out quickly. They're often a smooth metal box, a potted box, or sometimes a smaller bare metal finned. "FH" means it's a MOSFET design which produces less heat and are extremely reliable. They're usually black and finned, and usually a little larger than shunt ones. The fins are largely superficial and you can cut them shorter without ill effect if it helps you fit it somewhere. The two types are totally interchangeable, they both take 3 phase ac and output 14v dc, just in different ways.

Likewise, virtually all r/r's are interchangeable. The only differences are the physical shape/size of the brick, and the wiring connector, which can always be cut off. When I re-did the charging system on my Vmax, I found a used ZX14 rectifer, mosfet type, on ebay for $20. It had two harness plugs, one input one output, but inside each were regular spade terminals you could slip individual connectors onto.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts