Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 600 Bandit with a D&D muffler, but no other modifications. After cleaning the carbs, it seems like the previous owner just turned the pilot mixture screw twice as far as the stock setting to compensate for the extra flow. Now that the screw is set properly, the engine only runs with the choke, indicating the mixture is too lean.

I've never changed jets and need advice before doing so. What do I need? Should I go ahead and go to pod filters or velocity stacks if I rejet?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

G

·
With just the D&D it should not need rejetting & the airscrew should be close to stock setting my guess is its either already not on stock jets or you messed up the float heights or did not sync the carbs after cleaning

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
take the carbs apart and put them back to stock. completely stock. see how it runs. if it runs well then continue on. if not figure out why it runs like crap. if it still has the stock airbox then leave the stock main jets. shim the needles about 1-1.5mm but no more. make sure all 4 are either the same or that the center 2 are shimmed a bit higher as those cylinders run hotter. cut a coil out of the large springs between the top caps and the slides. look up how many turns out the mixture screws are stock then turn them all fully in until seated then back them out the stock number of turns, then a half turn more and see how it runs. if you have a stumble off idle then go another half turn. might as well make sure your plugs, boots, wires, and coils are all in top shape. you can unscrew the boots from the ends of the wires and cut 6mm off the ends of the wires to make sure fresh copper is being screwed into.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
The carbs were synced when the symptoms started. I checked the floats and needles today and found that the floats were about 1/4" low (so fuel would have been high in the bowl). I started it again without syncing with the same symptoms. I'll sync the carbs, but I wouldn't expect that to make a difference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
1/4" ?! When float heights are given in 1/2 mm precision, being 6mm out is huge. As said before, if only the muffler has been changed, then you shouldn't really have any need to rejet. When you open up the carbs let us know what everything is set at. Main and pilot sizes, needle setting, etc.

·
Registered
740 Posts
As said slip-ons don't really need rejetting. The only benefit I've found is slightly leaning out the mains. On my Vmax I swapped the stock 150s for 147.5s after putting supertrapp slip ons, the top end seemed a little snappier. I would keep the a/f screws in the stock location and stock pilots and air jets.

Higher flow exhausts tend to make engines run richer all else constant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.