Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In planning my dream bike I have found Matt black custom Streetfighters to be most appealing.

Especially the short one seater look.

But

I'd like to be able to carry another person from time to time and gear to travel with - rucksak, tent ect.

So - removable tail section, attachable double seat? I like them clean and short (most of the time)

Pictures and advice greatly appreciated.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I've thought about this as well, just like anything there's more than one way to skin a cat.

You could go with two completely separate subframes and swap when needed, but when you have shit like a battery and electronics under the seat, it probably becomes more of a hassle than anything.

My idea was to hack a subframe then create a sleeving system so the passenger accommodation would slide on and be secured with a couple of pins or bolts, so all you'd have to do is pull the plastics, slide on the 2nd half of the tail, then put the plastics back on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Pictures of such a device are what I'm after really.

I've got an inherent mistrust of electricity and welding.....it would have to be safe. Therefore I need convinced.

MacGyver - Live up to your namesake. I want two bikes in one!!

·
Remi's Dad
17,611 Posts
It doesn't belong in heavy metal either. General streetfighter discussion is where is truly belongs.

monster seat comes to mind. Probably not as short as you want, but you really can't have both.

Having my wife sit on a stubbed on removable subframe is not very comforting either.

And over-engineering a capable subframe would cost time and money you could easily solve with a cheap and comfy 2 up bike

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
On my R6 I normally run a single seat on a cut down subframe, on the rare occasion I need a pillion for luggage, mainly, I just change the subframe and plastics, the electrics and battery are in a plastic box and I wired the two sets of rear lights to matching plugs, takes me about 10 mins to swap.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
I think you're lying. Do you have any pictures? ;)
No

The 5eb R6 carries its battery and electris in a box under the seat. I cut the back of and its held too the subrame by two bolts, the back is supported by two cable ties.

I have lights and indicators and number plates fitted to both sets of plastic using the same socket.

I use two under trays so the swap over is very quick.

I remove the riders seat, remove four bolts on the plastic, four clips for the under tray, unplug the lights, Remove the plastic.

Cut the cable ties, undo the two bolts holding the battery tray,

undo the four bolts holding the subframe

remove the single subframe

slide the double subframe in and replace the four bolts,

refix battery tray and re cable ties.

Slide over full size plastic, fix with 4 bolts and connect multi plug

Fit under tray

Test lights

Fit seats

Took me an hour first time.

Two years later several swaps and a few refinements

now go and **ck

:fu::LolLolLolLol::ebay:

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
when i made my gpz solo about 10 years ago or so my wife asked me where the passenger seat was. We bought her a bike:) Structurally I dont like the idea of some dual subframe setup. depending on the size of the tail plastics(if there are any) i would just make a seat and leave the plastics off when riding 2 up as long as the subframe is designed to support it.

I have found that the only real way is to own multiple bikes:) even on my drz i removed the rear pegs cause its not a 2up comfortable bike, but i could put them back on easily if needed.

what bike are we talking about here?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.