Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit: Liners. Cylinder liners.

I know with aircooled motors you just heat the block for a few hours, and when the top is golden brown and bubbling, pull it out of the oven and serve with a white wine.

But at least with my cylinder block there are two o-rings on the cylinder. Would I/should I heat the block or can I just press them out cold?

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done it by heating them in the oven and nothing went terribly wrong :excellent:
The well composed sentence says trust me, but the mr burns emoji says to run away.

I was thinking about this more, and I'm sure the cylinder gets hotter than a few hundred degrees during use, so heating the block in an oven for a few hours at a few hundred degrees shouldn't damage it.

I've got a spare motor coming, so worst case scenario is I use that.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I've powder coated a set of cylinders once. 450*f for 15 minutes. Bike ran fine. Nothing moved.

But, I was mindful to set them right-side-up incase the sleeves decided to come loose and drop. I also didn't remove them from the oven suddenly. I just turned off the heat and left the circulating fan on until the temp gauge read room temp. Took a couple hours. Probably overkill on the cool down, but was cheap insurance. That was an aircooled inline four, but i hope this helps anyway.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
I personally would still heat the cylinder. I once tried to press a scared liner out cold because I just wanted the cylinder for an art project and I broke the skirt on the liner. Granted I wasn't being careful or gentle it was just for art stuff but it was the one and only time ive done it cold and the one and only time ive broke one. I know that was pressing one OUT but it just shows how much harder it is on the sleeve.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Stripping down a KZ550 engine for aluminum scrap a few years ago a friend and I just heated the cylinder sleeves with an oxy/propane torch and tapped on them with a block of wood until they came out, was pretty easy and one of them has a piston in it as an ashtray all these years later. Probably not as scientific as you would want to go if you are re-using parts, but a little heat made it surprisingly easy to remove them, not a chance of getting them to budge until we got the torch out though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts