17,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chopper guys were once what was up.

Since the Harley guys of today can't manage it
we'll have to carry on the legacy.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
I agree, at least in the US, the post-war rebel/chopper mentality is pretty similar to the current streetfighter ethos. The UK had cafe racers, which was stylistically closer to fighters, but also a lot of the same rebellious spirit. It's not about the type of bike; it's how you live and ride.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
as much as i hate to say it, the discovery channel ushered in a new era of "rolex riders" that killed the scene. now everyone and thier brother has a "billet barge" and thinks he's a hardcore biker. lol

haha, i don't care, let em do what they want, they like to spend money, they don't work on thier own bikes, it works out in my favor :D

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell yeah.

Turn their stupid into your skrilla, the American way.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
sevenpointsixtwo said:
It's not about the type of bike; it's how you live and ride.

very very true. some of the most down and dirty hardcore biker types are the best people you could ever meet. the guys on harleys that will wave at you when you cross paths, even if you are on a crotch rocket, or whatever. it's the "other guys", the guys trying to fulfill some midlife crisis, that you have to worry about. they just don't know...

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
on a side note have you guys gone to see wild hogs yet?.... haha, I laughed the whole time.

agree with skrooze and haelo if it wasn't for the post war bobber and choppers where would we be? after all rippin all the unnecessary shit off your bike and riding it like it was meant to be riden isn't a new idea.

·
Registered
526 Posts
fslflint said:
on a side note have you guys gone to see wild hogs yet?.... haha, I laughed the whole time.

agree with skrooze and haelo if it wasn't for the post war bobber and choppers where would we be? after all rippin all the unnecessary shit off your bike and riding it like it was meant to be riden isn't a new idea.
Actually in the process of downloading it right now.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
i agree on this. . . USED TO BE.

such a sorry state now tho. ugh. we're just keeping the spirit alive and trying to keep from 'american-izing' it.

whenever someone asks me why i ride...i envision Easyrider when Jack and Peter are riding down the road together..no helmets..sun in the face. wind in teh hair. ahhh :D

:metal: - REBEL REBEL

·
Easy Rider 1969 Wow what a classic movie! Y'know I can put a DVD of this on at any old time and each viewing is as fresh as the last.

The soundtrack alone is like a solid gold blast from the past, and I must confess to emulating the lifestyle portrayed in the movie on plenty numerous occasions. Ahhhhh indeed! :D

·
746 Posts
I totally think fighters are the 21st century's real choppers.

Choppers used to be about being different, an outlaw even. They were stripped down for speed and handling, function over form and bad to the bone. The mainstream didn't like or accept them and that made it even better for their riders.

Sound familiar? Sub "Choppers used to be" for "Fighters are" and re-read the paragraph.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
i agree 100%. you also have to take into account what a "chopper" really is though. 95% of the long chrome covered crap bikes you see running around with guys at the controls who have no buisness on them... are not choppers.

there's an article in the newest issue of THE HORSE that goes on and on about just that, and the state of the industry. good read, if you're into that kind of thing.

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
nothing wrong with HD's or Choppers, but the pre built instant Biker. Custom Harley, 40 grand and up, is the problem, they sell life style, I mean, some one goes in to buy a harley, Not all but most are 4000mile a year riders who, who wear HD underpants, HD belts , HD boots, HD jewlery, perfume, and not to mention Tshirts, call some one else who rides a harley BRO, and spend week days in suits.
thats the problem,
thats what fecks me off.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
Britjoe said:
nothing wrong with HD's or Choppers, but the pre built instant Biker. Custom Harley, 40 grand and up, is the problem, they sell life style, I mean, some one goes in to buy a harley, Not all but most are 4000mile a year riders who, who wear HD underpants, HD belts , HD boots, HD jewlery, perfume, and not to mention Tshirts, call some one else who rides a harley BRO, and spend week days in suits.
thats the problem,
thats what fecks me off.
AMEN BRUTHA

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
:Stupid:

Not just the HD guys though... look at most of the kids who ride full-fairing as well. They buy the bike to have an excuse to wear the cool leather sport jacket (just not when they ride, duh.)

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
sevenpointsixtwo said:
:Stupid:

Not just the HD guys though... look at most of the kids who ride full-fairing as well. They buy the bike to have an excuse to wear the cool leather sport jacket (just not when they ride, duh.)
yeah, that's REAL bad around here. they crash alot too, lol. keeps my wallet happy.

·
hack
729 Posts
what gets me about the whole mid life crisis thing is that you get guys whose vision and reactions times arent what they used to be on bikes for the first time. anybody look at bike accident statistics, they've gone way up up in recent years. baby boomers are to blame, wishin they'd lived a little sooner

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
first two years of my riding dayz where scarry, blurry, and painful. Got a bike, went as fast as possible everywhere, and thought they were cool looking, besides chix digged them. Now I ride because I love it, I feel free and at peace. and all the other things that go with a bike are bonuses. I like cars and all types of motorcycles, you can find art in a lot of different things and the art you find in raw naked rebelry from any area, movie, picture, or story is a cool thing to see. here comes the tacky remark. it is like a girl with a pound of makeup on or a woman that needs very little makeup to look beautiful. There is just something about artistic simplicity where little things accentuate the work of art.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts