Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but could not find much on this particular topic. I am thinking of swapping out my gauges for something from a late model Gixxer, but I have an analog speedo and I believe the Gixxers are all digital (probably reading off the cam or ignition?). Any way to retrofit to my '98 Bandit 600S?

Even better, is there an older, but low profile gauge cluster (speedo/tach) that reads from the BACK WHEEL? I did my fork oil this weekend and when reinstalling the speedo cable, I apparently put it in incorrectly. The two little tabs on the end that go into the drive on the wheel snapped off inside the little hub. So new hub and new cable, plus removing that front wheel again to get to it, or...

And yes, I know about the Acewells and Sigmas and such but I just don't see those little magnet pickups being too reliable for a daily rider. I have a Sigma BC800 and could never get it to read, not even with a big ol' magnet I got from an alarm sensor for the big dock rollup doors at the warehouse I work in.

If I can manage to get the broken pieces out of the hub, I'll stay with stock for now but this is something I want to do in the near future anyway.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
My Acewell's magnetic pick-up is perfectly good. You just have to install it right and it works and works and works.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
only way to get a digi speedo to work is to drill and tap the sprocket shaft, there is a write up on another forum I post on, from what I read it isnt worth the hassle

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have tried with my Sigma BC800 a few times and it never read anything. I can't find a good place to test it on the bike without making it permanent right away - that may be part of the problem. But the magnet on the wheel goes by the pickup sensor with less than half an inch of clearance.

I may try it again... or I may just man up and buy the speedo hub and take the damn wheel off again...

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
when i mounted my trail tech i had it a little further than they suggested but it still worked, I mounted it on the rear of the swingarm with the magnet on a rotor bolt head

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Same as Dudad. My Acewell works absolutely perfectly. The Sigma is a Bicycle computer, if you haven't forgotten.

·
98 Posts
I had a sigma for a while when i got my f3 about 3 years ago. Worked great - only problem (not really a problem, but the only little annoyance) was it takes a second to update because of the time the wheel takes to travel around, so when you got WOT it would jump in like 10mph increments - but no biggy really. Was really accurate too. I found a formula that using the tire profile would tell you the exact diameter of your wheel tire within a few mm's - so it worked really well.

I just used epoxy to glue the magnet to the rotor and the pickup to the inside of the fork. It held up all summer perfectly until i rebuilt the bike in the winter and pried it off to sell the front end - never did get all the glue off the sprocket though...

Also, i cant remember exactly which gixxer it is, but search svrider.com forums and i'm sure you'll find it, but one of em uses a pickup mounted on the countershaft. You just drill a hole in the countershaft bolt and tap it and mount the sensor in there, and the pickup mounts in/on your sprocket cover and thats it.

Plus side to either setup is that there is no speedo healer needed if you change gearing!

·
890 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the later model B12 uses a speedo pick-up on the front sprocket cover - and this can be retro-fitted to earlier B12 / GSXR motors. This allows you to use GSXR1000 clocks, etc.

I'd imagine the 600 Bandit would use the same size cover??

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
from my understand its a on the shaft, now I could be wrong but I didn read into it multiple times for the kat when I had it.......lemme look and ill post a link to the thread

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
but unless you have the pickup in the shaft it does no good to have the sensor in the cover :)

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
As far as I can tell..I only have a sensor on my SV1K output shaft cover. It does have an odd 4 side shaped nut to hold the sprocket on the counter shaft though...but no magnet as far as I can tell.

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember seeing the pickup at the countershaft in some instructions, probably for removal of the sprocket on some Bandits. I can find out which one had it and just bolt it in, right now there is a bolt and washer there to stop the large nut from coming loose. So there is already a threaded hole for it.

But this has given me an idea - I may mount a magnet and the pickup sensor to the little Sigma on the countershaft sprocket. I can make it permanent to test it, and if it still doesn't work (I have my doubts), I can remove it without leaving behind any visible trace of it.

Honestly, riding without a speedo isn't so hard - I can tell by my RPM and what gear I'm in the speed I'm going at. I know for one thing, when the barend mirrors are not buzzing then I am going 85-90mph at 9K in 5th :D

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
the hard part about doing it the way you are talking about is that alot of speedos are set for certain sizes, like you may not be able to set the number low enough for the thing to read right.

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a couple of hours of research, it looks like buying the new speedo hub for the wheel is the best bet. It would be $47 for an OEM part, plus a couple of hours of work in replacing it.

A Gixxer cluster and speedo sensor on the countershaft would be about $200 unless I get real lucky and find everything used. It will be much more than $200 if I have to buy the cluster new too.

Acewell makes a cable-driven inout for their gauges, but then I have to fix the hub on my bike anyway. I can choose magnetic pickup but I guess I'd rather not. For something constantly backlit, with some idiot lights (or oil pressure gauge), I'm looking at more than $100.

Ehh. I guess I will see if I can't be lucky enough to fix the hub on there now, I just to take out those little broken tabs but they are really jammed in there.

EDIT: No dice on getting those broken tabs out - tried tweezers, strong magnets, tiny screwdrivers, magnetized screwdrivers... they are really stuck in there. But I just got my Sigma to work with a really strong magnet, by hand. HMMM.

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, but it wasn't working till I waved the magnet a fraction of an inch away. It's going to be really difficult to get that same position on the bike and still have clearance. I can mount it on the brake rotor and the sensor on the forks, but I don't know if there is enough of a gap between them.

Anyway, it's not backlit so that's out. I only bought it to experiment with these little speedos.

I think I will just order the hub and new cable and be done with it, though I am still looking into the Gixxer gauges.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts