Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
V four honda whore
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
previous story is here

so plans for now is to get front end done, build a fairing around it. swap the swingarm, find a wheel for it.

so here i started yesterday

previously drawed it up and printed out on paper. had to purchase some exra tools for this, but tools last several builds
did cuts at 84 degrees so i can bend the tubes for neat shape. could have done it in single piece or make a trellis frame, but i like it this way, two pieces makes me think it's sturdier and it looks better in my mind, so i dont care what you say :D

both outer pieces done. was really missing a C-clamp, but i managed to get them identical anyway

this is how far i got it done

and pic of week age of bike, because, well... you have to start a pic with bike right?

as for money
100eur bike
65ish crank
50ish gasket set
120eur bearings for crank
50ish carb boots
misc stuff is 20ish i think

pipes was 30?
plasma cut parts was 20(yes you heard me right)

probably some guys with engineering background has a twitchy eye right now. but hey, if it works :)

·
V four honda whore
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did some work yesterday. went to dads workplace, because he has three phase welder and most importantly drill press, that i could use for my precision engineering solutions, So if you work as engineer, stop watching and reading.
so i used the bracket to locate the point of drilling with holesaw. clamped it in spot and then just drilled away :) then i clamped both sides together and drilled other one through first hole. the aim for this was to have them close to other as much as i can. as for end pieces. i did the same clamping, but put holesaw in previously drilled holes, so they dont move around.

this is where i stopped, i also ran out of time that day

gonna get the milled bungs to be welded in holes i created. will bolt them together to stay true to each other and spot weld them in. then off to create linkages (need to purchase square nuts on m12, will be a challenge in lockdown) and get stem milled. so i can assemble it with wheel and brake discs and have everything centered and neat.

·
V four honda whore
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
got bungs milled, collected them and found today a free time today to do some work.

pressed two of them in tripples

rest of them was spotwelded into the legs i made earlyer

welded one leg at first, then installed "axles" and welded other some, so they are true to each other

when i drew bungs i decided to change regular hex head bolts to these for a flush look :)

and this is how far i got today. nof i need to make spacers for wheel and carry on with linkages

·
V four honda whore
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had some free time over the holidays... this is what i did yesterday
since my drawings were made for linkages at the lenght of 290mm, i adjusted the uniballs in mid point for regulation. measured the lenght for square tube to be cut and did the cut

since tube is 20x20x1.5 and square nut is at 18mm, i had to either shave the nut sides or slot in the tube, press the nut in. decided fot later, because i'll have to weld them in anyway

after i did them, i decided to look how big of an adjustability i got at my hand. the initial idea was to use bearings or bushings. but uniballs seemes like an easy solution. also can be changable without any troubles, if necessary. so i got around 30mm per linkage of adjustability

this is how far i got...

need to get spacers for wheels done. got lenght measurements for steering stem today. will draw that up to be made. locate the lower shock mount according to my drawings and brace the lower linkages together. might do top too. but rather have more free space now, than have to cut stuff out and weld in again. and who knows. might be stury enough without upper linkages braced.

·
V four honda whore
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had some free time... found an axles to position the legs against each other. welded shock bracket up in linkages

and braced lower linkages together. doesnt sound like much, but it took me some time to weld the linkages properlu. need to smooth them though :)

got the stem milled up and lower linkage lower bolt joining axle. it seems that it has a bit of freeplay due to uniball joints. so i need to brace the upper part of legs together too... lower for now because i want to have more space for headlight, and work on upper bolts (if needed) arond headlight assembly.

·
V four honda whore
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got made and installed lower linkage bracing tube piece. And ordered steering stem bearings. Will try to find time do work this weekend

Reactions: Streetfighterkz

·
V four honda whore
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
there arent too much free time for me. trying to squeeze work whenever i can. this weekend i had some time (although i had an earfull after from missus, because she had to listen to our kids fighting

anyway... went on to see ol gal Onda

changed steering bearings and installed front end. forgot to mention, i had to do the seals on them. i ended up using rc36 lowers with brakes and f2 wheel.

then i went on to fitting the vfr swingarm, read topic on vf1000 forum, and it was straight forward "cut the swingarm bracket on right side, make a spacer for right side and you are all done. i couldnt be more wrong.

as you can see there is rear exhaust pipes in the middle of bike. right where the swingarm axle should be, might be the reason why vf1000 has two bolts/axles on each side, instead of one.

here you can see the "cutout" in original swingarm made to clear the exhaust

so i got all depressed and thinked about just fitting the f2 rear wheel there and call it a day. but then i realised that bike wont have SSSA, and i want the look, i have plans

so i started to read through cookies thread about sssa, ducati seemed like a viable option, but they are expencive as hell, thought about all the bikes that has SSSA's and realised that i have another honda with SSSA, turns out bros item is in the right shape. quick search around internet showed that there is one in greece for 110euros+ shipping. would like to pay less, looked for them in russia (since they like japanese imports there) then i remembered having conversation with some local dude who had one, gave him a message and he still had it. 70eur picked up

pushed in as close as i could

there's the thing tho... right side of swingarm is around 8mm wider. but the whole swingarm is a bit narrower. i initially thought about cutting/grinding the "box" bracket thingy off and slide the swingarm in, but it seems that it will be a close fit, that might not even work. so i'm thinking about doing something similar as on other side. but instead of bolting the pin in the frame and supporting the swingarm, i could bolt the sleeve in, and let the sleeve be the axle for bros swingarm. something like this. if it works on one side, it should work on other side too.

as for the shock. with half ass mounted swingarm in place and keeping in mind that bros has no linkage system, just direct fit. i 'll need around 350mm shock from bike with direct linkage
this was a nice source for that Motorcycle rear shock lengths | cyclecycle.info

it looks like r1100 might be the best fit, since they are kinda direct ones and usually heavy as fuuuuuu...

so now i'm waiting for another free day to butcher this sexy bike of mine.

at least will sort the suspension for inspection then i'll carry on on mods, probably wont make it with mods till end of month

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.