Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KSo fuck it im gonna do it. Even tho im late, but my plan was to get bike running by the last melting snow, so why not do a build off? gonna have a deadline

So the bike, it is an 1997 model. Bought it for 450€ and so far have spent on it 100€ for front end off early rc36 and ehmm. 10€ For resin, 30€ for welding rearsets. But thats before today when i officially start my buildoff.
So i start off with 590€ as a base. Without fuel costs.

So heres the bike

I took bike inside, because it is warmer here. Anyways started to do a bit more work on it today. Found out my brakes arent in good working order. Rear pads are worn out completely and rear bolt is stuck badly. Also front master cyl has broken rubber.

Some shit removed, including heater grips. Not sure i wanna keep them.

So the plans.
do a kickass track and hooning badass mothafucking v four road violator. But to be honest, this will be my track toy and weekend warrior. Hence the name from tv series vikings.

So the real plans.
-Make it road worthy
-Tuck the wires
-Fit that tail im doing
-Undertail twin exit exhaust
And if i will get a time and cash
-Paint it either candy purple or grey metallic or brown metallic
-Smoked gloss frame

Oh yeah other thing. Im constantly broke. So keeping this to a tight budget.

Wish me luck

Edit:
450€ bike
100€ front end
10€ resin
15€ putty and sabdpaper
30€ rearset welding
13€ subframe pipes
19€ exhaust pipe and bends
21€ fork seals and oil
40€ vfr800 mufflers
20€ new lower triple
11€ machining the steering yoke
4€ exhaust clamp
27€ fairing piece
37€ taillight
40€ fuel cap
35€ front rim
56€ paint

Total 928€

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started to work on wire tuck today. A bit more hassle than it was on my rc24. gonna buy some heat tape and rewrap some wires. Maybe shorten there and extend there. Oh one question. Front of frame has a shield plate. And air box has intake right behind plate. So question is if i tuck wires there i have to be really anal so it doesnt interfere with air comming in. Or i could guide the intake tube through the shield, but it is behind coolant radiator. But i could manage to extend wires and boxes to other places

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn i hate wiring work. i didnt worked for long, spending most of day with darling.
anyway, there is enough space under tank. I just need to shorten main bundle by few inches. Extend fuse box bundle and dashboard bundle. Rest i can tuck under tank. Need to check, if i have spare wires to put in there. Gonna have a fun time tomorrow. oh also front forks definitely need rework. Right one is leaking like a stabbed hobo. while working a bit on front. Found out that front rad doesnt turn freely. Btw i answered my question about shield up front. i need it or wires will hit the fan. Heres what was confronting the fan. Must be from crash.

Have to start making to buy list. Oh and a question. What are those in my carbs?

They move to the side, but spring slides them back

Reactions: Cookie2000ad

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So played with wires again. Thing i've done most of it. Just need to buy new tape to rewrap everything. A bit tighter and neater. Need to extend dash plugs, bit first i need to get a dash. And coil wires, also need to find a place for coil. Rest will suffice. Im not so happy with the speed of project going forward. but its better than just doing nothing at all :D
so here are some pics of how wires route now.

Green and blue plug is for dash, so they arent be there

Right side of wires add dash wires too.

And other side, here will be ignition wire bundle too

So i test fitted the tank for the wires to fit, i didnt want to cut main harness to shorten it, so i found a solution. also fuse box doesnt fit there nice, so i extended it, to fit in tail.

During progress

Also as i mentioned in discussion thread, harness doesnt interfere with the snorkel air way. Goes all around it

Thank you, goodnight!

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some more work on tail. Also purchased putty and sandpaper to get the upper shape done when resin will dry. Meanwhile i have to draw bolt brackets for subframe to be milled, so i can purchase pipes and weld subframe. Then up to fit tail, fab up exhaust. So i can cut out lower part for exhaust clearance. Have to wait for cash to flow in, so i can order up:
-fork seals and fork oil (suggestions in viscosity!?)
-front headlight
-rear headlight
-numberplate light
-mirror holders
-figure out front end
-dashboard

-extend front exhaust pipes
-heat wrap exhaust
-some brackets
-possible set of brake and clutch master cylinders
-paint everything
-get registered to be legal to ride and tech inspection
Probably some more shit

So pics of tail progress. Firstly i used masking tape to give it a shape i wanted to get, so i have something to lay fiberglass on

Underside with some parts i had to fix a bit

and after

Then i left it with heater so it dries better. After last time im not allowed to take them in to dry. Whole house smells and my missus doesnt like that

Sooo. All good?

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some further work. Need to adjust the tip of the tail on underside. But there is a lot to sand by default. Eventually those different length horns is giving me headaches. I know that headlight and tailpipes will disrupt that uneven look. but im really pleased with how it starts to look.

first layer of putty

mid work

and as of this evening. another layer of putty. But without fiberglass putty mixed in

Oh also my mate made me subframe ends. for free, because it christmas. Also i've found bars to use for subframe. So looks like all i have to spend for subframe will be gloss paint i want for it. Sandpaper and putty put me back 15€ though.

And a pic of silueth

It would be nice to lift whole tail up.but then i will sit waaay to high on bike to feel comfy. What do you think?it doesnt look that off. Besides lots of off factory bikes doesnt has that sweet like we want. And you have to sacrifice something for more comfortable ride. Since this will be track and weekend warrior not a show bike. Any input apreciated

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am so lazy :( mostly because i dont live near any normal shop, also money has been tight. and i bought another car(yes turns out you need those to carry infants around) that bitch broke. so few days ago i picked up 2.2m of 21.7mm OD 2mm thickness stainless steel pipe at around 12eur. didnt had much time to work until today. this is what i did with it.

since i dont have welder here, i mocked up subframe so i can prepare parts for welding. gonna spot it up on tuesday and then fit back to bike. i haave to fab up crossmembers for tail unit. then off to weld everything. and paint in gloss black

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have to do some adjustments on friday when ill get access to welder, needs cross members and end pieces for pipes at end. but overall i like how it looks. tested where i could snuck wires and fuel lines. so looks that i will have enough space under seat for battery ( as long as i get smallest and one tha i can hold sideways. not to good news for exhaust. not too much space there. its not that im worried about sound or backpressure, i just worry that i might not be within limited dB. anyway still like the way bike is going

here im holding most of wiring and electrical parts with my hand up to seat

that wood piece will be changed for metal bracket, so it holds seat in place for good angle

i think it will be comfy when i'll fab up seat

as for the color, i've thinkered around purple candy for a while, and decided it wont be suck a good idea. i dont like red on bikes, already have white. so i had to choose from grey and brown. eventually went for bmw marrakesh brown. love that color
here's a sample

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok here goes, as gauges i thought a lot about different setups and stuff while maintaining bike overall budget as low as possible. ended up with idea of having only tach and idiot lights. since bike will mainly be for track and hooning. also i still can drop to speed limit when i need, i just need to memorise tach revs i have to be within.

so i watched at china rev counters, but they seemed too sketchy. wasnt willing to spend a lot of cash on branded items. then i remembered when i got GSX i had three big gauges on it (speedo, tach and tank level) speedo is on rc24, tank level is kinda useless in that size and rev counter had broken glass.

so i did some experiment.

a bit in the process

and here it is. i hope this works

and no cash spent :thumbsup:

ring needs some refreshment tho. also i think i have a small temp gauge from fzr1000 dash. might use it too :) to fill the empty space on other side of ignition barrel

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so here we are, snooped out where i could get exhaust parts. have to call about that vfr800 exhaust mufflers too.
spring is getting here, so i have to be more motivated. went to garage, took the bike out, pics sucks, i think it's because of moisture in the air.

so today i cut the exhaust pipes for extensions, test fitted belly pan, if i'm gonna use it, have to cut it some more.
checked rear wires. easier to see whole perspective when you can step back from bike. and boy she looks sexy

oh btw these are the caps from old and new forks. think with some work they might fit and i would have adjustable rebound.

exhaust pipes, they arent bolted on tightly, so freeplay is in there

plan is to heatwrap them anyway ;)

also a question, can i cut spark plug wires shorter?
i kinda have found a nice place for ignition coils. but wire is a bit too long on one side

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mkey, been a while. had no cash, and time to do stuff. last week i became a dad :) now i have a precious little girl named Lila.

anyway, did some spending for bike. purchased exhaust pipe and bends (~16eur) today picked up seals and fork oil (21eur) and vfr800 exhaust (40eur) thanks again to cookie and his dad for help. so eventually budget grows up another 77eur

as you can see i'm using just one muffler (other may be used on other vfr i have :D
also muffler is not straight, it has a bend towards down and right (closer to exhaust pipe) other goes to right.
gonna detab it and cut tail a bit, so exhaust fits nice and neat in tail. looks really cool in my opinion. i wanted dual pipe exit, but this looks better. also now i need to order up taillight to fit over the exhaust. thinking of this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POINTY-E-MA...FOR-CAFE-RACER-BRAT-STYLE-BIKES-/191362375170

it's small but i can do a blinking mod for brake light. so i can be visible.

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one really stubborn and long subframe story.
anyway, last time i mocked up subframe with crossmember i fukked it up a bit and welded right side on left and opposite. my dad was over, so i asked could he fix my mistake, cuz im using welding equipment at his work. Two days later he comes by again with my subframe. And lower joints are flipped along, cuz he thought i fukked them up :D so i kinda asked can he flip them back,because i had no time to get to his job. Today i got my subframe. Now woth ends all like their should. But too narrow to fit on bike. So i got pissed off and threw it on ground. Spots got busted and some parts fell off :D then i got call that i had to go to capital, to fix clutch issue, that author of this topic messed up by placing discs wrong. So while up there i fixed subframe. Lets hope i did it right this time (i need a welding equipment here)

oh also while i had time. I took bike out and started to mock up exhaust, here are some pics of progress. gonna try to do more tomorrow. Tuesday i have a rehearsal and will be heading back to Riga, so might spot weld it a bit further, although i think i need another bend. But maybe ill be able to split one into half and use it then.

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
today was not so sunny as yesterday. but since it was a lot brighter than in garage i took the bikes out. well at least two of them. took some pics of GSX with the tail as it is, and checked what had to be done. but that's for different thread.

anyway on Lagertha topic. continued to mock up exhaust further. gonna need to buy another bend after all. but this is how far i got:

here you can see that lower exhaust pipe has to be cut shorter to make a nice and neat line that doesnt get in a way(still is in way for some parts, but i got maximum)

decided to use heat shield from VFR800 exhaust, so my rear brakes doesnt get too much heat

speaking of heating up brake stuff, gonna need to reroute brake line

in progress

mocked up for today

and with heat shield

as for connecting the two parts, i bought this some while ago, cant remember for what. but it was laying around. and it does fit these pipes. so yaaay

as for other parts, never took pictures where you could understand the shape of muffler(because of that it does look a bit croocked from behind

also i showed you the taillight i want. here i'm planning it to be. kinda draw 40x40mm circle if you look from behind. not sure if it wont melt tho. gonna have to shield under part anyway

also when i was standing and looking at bike from behind my lady took a pic of this view she found amusing.

yes my baby girl is spending time with her dad :p

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just finished changing seals and oil on forks. damn those babies are stiff. oh and also fitted tops from forks i had from earlier forks that were busted on bike. they fit all right and i have around 20mm for spring preload adjustment.

hope i can update more tomorrow

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So quick update about today. Went to garage to install rebuilt forks on bike. I knew the.tire wasnt straight before, but i thought it is just installing error. So this is what i found out

So lower yoke is a bit bent. searched ebay.de and ebay.co.uk and found mostly a bit to priceyvfor my mind items. So two SMS's and three phone calls, went to local place and picked one up for 20€(no pic cuz we all know how does lower triple looks)

also bought another 90° bend ~3€ and welded my exhaust mock up with spots(as usual, makes fixing my own errors better) here is the product without tape

If everything is all right, then i just have to mod pipe on engine side and weld mount on subframe for muffler. And then off to electric box (thinking of buying of the shelf plastic container and mod it to fit)

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
since yeatesrday i was on a trip to pick up CB750 for a friend of mine then i did no work on bike. but today i finished to mock up exhaust and now it needs last welding and then last fitting. if all goes well, then i'm good to go :)also turns out lower triple i picked up is more bent than one i had, but i'll get it changed for a good one next tuesday.

anyway i like how it looks. now i need a plastic box for battery and electronics, measured it and now i'm on the search :D

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
need an adjustment on the exhaust. somehow i fukked up one of angles. but will fix it tomorrow (hopefully)

bored out holes in tail, so i can screw it to the subframe, marked subframe. will drill holed and thread them later, if everything fits then, i will give subframe to my friend to weld it pretty, and do the exhaust myself(need practice, besides not that important to be pretty)

also took headlight off from my other VFR, that will get my old MBX80 front fairing and projector goes on this build.

so about the lower triple. the one i got was bent badly, i took it back and only one that fitted with offset and wasnt bent was from rc24. but the stem was about 20mm longer. so i had to press it out and take it to lathe. found a local guy who did it for ridicilously cheap asked 6eur, and 5 eur to press it out and in.

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did some spending, part i dont like about my build :D

purchased honda crf450 08' front fairing piece. had idea about it for a while and then i noticed that our user Ghostly used one for his aprilia and knew that was the one i wanted to pick up. so it's not copying, we just have same tastes

also ordered taillight what will look good in my setup

only mine will be integrated within the tail, so i have to get number plate light seperately

and bought new exhaust clamp, since old one i had laying around was too big for my small exhaust diameter

so 37eur on taillight, 27eur on fairing and 4eur on clamp 68eur total. still hope i can squeeze myself within 1000eur

1 - 20 of 32 Posts