Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Moody Bastard
377 Posts
Aw man the throttle housing and swithces reind me of my 78 CB200.. fond fond memories. Project looks great. All the best.

·
Doctor
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
so progress came to a halt while the frame went away to get stripped. it needs to be stripped so it can be repaired and then renickeled.

the electroplaters quoted us 2 weeks for it to be done. they are the closest electroplaters who do large objects we could get, and theyre still 2 hours drive away. so we couldnt just go in and ask about it. so we called them up after a month of nothing. and they said it should be dont by friday. this happened about 3 times. and 4 months later we decided to drive down and take it back. i was a bit worried that theyd fucked it up or lost it or something.

we got there and they decided to put it in the vat. it would have taken about 2 hours to do the job, and they had it for 4 fucking months. I didnt want to be a dick considering i have no idea how much work they have on, but when they quotes 2 weeks, i didnt expect 4 months and still nothing to be done.

it gets worse though.
after an hour he brings it out and says he cant keep it in there because its eating into the frame (it wasnt and no damage was done) so at this point we decide that this guy has no idea what hes doing and we're finding a new electroplater.

he then decided to charge us full price for stripping the frame... even though he didnt strip it. needless to say he was told to fuck off and didnt get any money from us.

photos of the half stripped frame:

the tail was the only part that came out stripped. and it still wasnt fully done

·
Doctor
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
but on the bright side, wheels are done as is pretty much everything else except the frame...

these photos dont do the wheels justice. they are fucking beautiful. prefect in every way. the marks on them are just smudges i havent cleaned off. ill get better photos soon

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
That will be one beautiful bike when you get it done! Great job on the wheels too.

Later, Doug

·
www.pitstop-paint.co.uk
373 Posts
Gonna look cool this when done. Got an old KZ powered Harris mag2 myself. Great handling bike given the old rolling gear, etc. Cant fault it even against more modern bikes. Rickmans had an equal reputation for sweet and balanced handling so should be in for fun.

·
Doctor
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
finally got the frame stripped. now its being repaired and then its off to get nickelled.

the engine mounts where a tiny bit wide so we shaved them down and got the engine fitted perfectly.

also, got a new compressor. so ill start getting the engine clean and painted soon. then after christmas the frame will come back all shiny and i can start putting everything back on it.

·
The Polish Prince
947 Posts
Schwing! Love the Rickmans. Keep up the good work.

·
4,400 Posts
Good work man. Lot of work goes into lacing spokes in a wheel. Keep it up

·
Swamp Witch
6,239 Posts
The bits are looking great! So the brazing on the frame held up ok to the stripping?

I love these bikes (and the Dunstalls and CRs). If you're interested, there's a great article in Classic Bike (UK) about the Kawasaki Z1000 Rickman CR in the November issue. Of course, I can be persuaded to scan the pages in too. ;)

·
Doctor
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Doctor
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The bits are looking great! So the brazing on the frame held up ok to the stripping?

I love these bikes (and the Dunstalls and CRs). If you're interested, there's a great article in Classic Bike (UK) about the Kawasaki Z1000 Rickman CR in the November issue. Of course, I can be persuaded to scan the pages in too. ;)
it would be interested in seeing that! but only if you have a spare moment. haha.
and yes, the brazing on the frame held up fine. i heard a lot of horror stories, and a lot of people told me not to strip/redo it. but it had to be done. it wouldnt be worth building if the frame wasnt shining.

you have no idea how much i want to ride this bike. haha :)

21 - 40 of 123 Posts