Votes: 20 45.5%
  • No riding gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this has been brought up before but I wanted to make a new poll.
I am typing a paper for my english course and could use some opinions on riding gear to put into my paper.

So what sort of gear do you wear when you ride? Do you think it is really worth the money spent on the gear? Or any other points you would like to make that would be greatly appreciated!!

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
Quality helmet, leather armored jacket, leather gloves, and riding boots. Black on black on black on black. Very much worth the money.

I need pants but too lazy to shop for them.

What type of paper do you have to write?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quality helmet, leather armored jacket, leather gloves, and riding boots. Black on black on black on black. Very much worth the money.

I need pants but too lazy to shop for them.

What type of paper do you have to write?
Thanks for the reply. I am just writing a research paper on motorcycle awareness with one of my key points focusing on safety.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what would you consider full gear?????????

Track leathers?

I answered helmet and jacket but I always have gloves. boots
My thought of full gear would be jacket, gloves, pants, boots, and of course helmet

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Nothing fancy, but solid (new, brand name) stuff with DOT / CE ratings. Jacket, helmet, and gloves are all high viz yellow. Looking at some pants, can't decide / commit.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Nothing fancy, but solid (new, brand name) stuff. Jacket, helmet, and gloves are all high viz yellow. Looking at some pants, can't decide / commit.
me too

I havent found a pair of pants that I like enough to want to wear all the time....

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Modular helmet, armored jacket, a-stars gloves, and whatever boots I have on that day. I have some decent steel toes but I tend to miss 1st to 2nd shifts in them.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
You could also discuss visibility in your paper if you're looking for more points.

Hi vis gear vs black or dark colors. Or riding with high beams during the day and the flashing modulators. Or added diving lights to be more conspicuous. I added a Piaa yellow driving light mounted vertically so the beam gets a lot of attention. I instantly noticed a reduction in people pulling out in front of me. Or the brake light quick flash modulator.

You could also discuss how moto riders reduce their visibility by wearing dark clothing, removing reflectors, put smaller turn signals on, all in the name of looking cool.

Just some food for thought. I remember how hard it was to write papers when it was late, I was tired, and I only wanted to work on bikes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could also discuss visibility in your paper if you're looking for more points.

Hi vis gear vs black or dark colors. Or riding with high beams during the day and the flashing modulators. Or added diving lights to be more conspicuous. I added a Piaa yellow driving light mounted vertically so the beam gets a lot of attention. I instantly noticed a reduction in people pulling out in front of me. Or the brake light quick flash modulator.

You could also discuss how moto riders reduce their visibility by wearing dark clothing, removing reflectors, put smaller turn signals on, all in the name of looking cool.

Just some food for thought. I remember how hard it was to write papers when it was late, I was tired, and I only wanted to work on bikes.
I found a couple of articles on that subject and planned on using them.
Writing papers is definitely not my strong suit, I was glad to hear when I could chose to write on a topic that I enjoy, certainly is making it easier.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
This is a cool report you're doing. English class? Anyways I feel what gear you have on is vital. I buy the best gear I can afford. I'd been riding for about 6 years when I got into my first real accident. I drifted into oncoming traffic because I looked down and to the left at my bike and when I looked up I saw headlights and that was it. I was wearing a full face helmet, thick leather jacket, denim jeans, leather and carbon fiber gloves and desert tan army boots. I did not walk away from the crash as the impact from the truck I ran into took my leg. I strongly feel that if I werent wearing the gear I had on that I would not be here to tell you this story.

My helmet was bashed up pretty good. The entire face of it is nothing but scratches. The jacket and gloves were ripped up, the jeans non existent on the left side and the boots...well one of them was just fine. The other one probably stayed on my foot with the rest of my leg when they bagged it up. Wearing more protective pants and boots probably wouldnt have helped me at all in this circumstance, but from time to time I think back on the wreck and wonder "what if"

I will never put myself in the position to wonder "what if" again. when I'm able to ride again it will be with better gear, and more focus on the pants and boots. Having come out of that experience seeing what happened to my body and the gear it was dawning I wholeheartedly believe that wearing full rattle when riding can save your life, or at bare minimum make the rest of it a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wear normal jeans, teknic armoured jacket, whatever shoes i have on that day, teknic gloves and a helmet. The shoes are a contentious issue because I know I should wear a decent pair, but due to work I often need to wear not so protective shoes. And I wanna buy some better reinforced jeans

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank God I wear full gear. I was driven into standing still by a Monte Carlo SS traveling at 16-18 mph. I bounced off the car after the bike was squirted out from underneath me. I barrel rolled and landed on my back. Gloves allowed only bruises, hand stuck between tank and clip-on. Helmet protected my head from one strike against the hood and then on the ground. Left shoulder struck fender of the car and right shoulder struck the ground, forearms bruised badly perhaps striking clip-ons all protected by the armoured jacket. Riding pants prevented the bike from scraping my leg on the way out. I ended up with no blood and broken bones but two tears in my elbow and one in my shoulder.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
full gear for me.

full face helmet (white for ridding at night, and its green-ish during the day), elbow pads and the icon vest (spine protection) under my armored leather jacket, knee pads (mx style) under kevlar pants, and Astar boots. and good good gloves (they cost as much as my jacket)

i wear a different jacket on really bad summer days, but if i can stand the leathers, i wear it.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
old fart
3,669 Posts
Full kit

if cold
Alpine stars GP plus jacket
leather pants (full armour)
Sidi race boots
A* gloves
AGV stealth helmet

if warm
same kit but with
armoured jeans (kevlar, knee armour)
Sidi Street burner short boots

if on track or going for it on road
full one piece AXO race leathers
Puma 1000 race boots
A* gloves.
Back protector

crashed on a corner at track at high speed (80+ mph)with full kit on and walked away with only bruising. helmet trashed.
crashed on a corner at track at relativly low speed (20-30 mph), full kit on and broke my collar bone (clavical) took full impact of floor on helmet (helmet binned) head fine
crashed at relativly high speed on road on corner (50-60 mph), jeans and nylon jacket, walked away with heavy bruising/road rash
crashed into car, did summersault over front at medium speed (30-40 mph) jeans & nylon Jacket, ended up in hospital, deep laceration to ankle, dislocated sholder, road rash to back. took landing on back of helmet (helmet trashed) head fine.

just goes to show that anything can happen whatever you are wearing!!! but i always ride kitted up now days, getting better takes longer now i am getting on in age :LolLolLolLol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts