Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
My wife and I are going to Oahu for a week next fall for our honey moon. We're planning on renting a bike since we are both not old enough to rent a cage and well I hate being in cars anyway. I was hoping some of you folks might have some great roads and things to see while I'm there. I'm not really into touristy things rather be out an about if ya know what I mean.
Thanks in advance
Rw

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Never been there, but I hear it an awesome place. I hope you and the Misses have a great time. Not old enough to rent a car?. None of my business, But how old are you?

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,426 Posts
Just cruise around. It is fun to ride, even while raining. You will be amazed at hiw fast you dry off. My buddy and I rented scooters for a day and mobbed around Maui. Full speed onto the beach was fun until we tried to ride out! When you get to the airport look for the wall of brochures, some will contain maps, or get one from the bike rental place.

You should be able to rent a car if you can get a bike. My 22 year old brother in law does it all the time on a suspended license in Hawaii.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh thought I had to be 25 to rent a car 23 now 21 to rent a bike. Looking at a map looks like there isn't a lot of roads to "discover"

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know about the rental car thing for the future. When I posted I didn't realize just how small the island was lol ill prolly just do what I normally do and go by gut. Thanks for all the help guys
Rw

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got pointed to this thread so here it goes
Well let me tell you this. If you come to Hawaii don't plan anything. Just do nothing! Sit on the beach and do absolutely nothing. A lot of tourist come here to do touristy things and waste their money and time. There isn't anything on this island that you can't see anywhere else in USA.
Dole plantation? Boring!!!
Wet and Wild? ghetto!
Disney Resort? right next to wet and wild and its 30 minutes from waikiki at the end of island and its 400$ a night and it isn't special.

My suggestions:North Shore, even if you don't surf go see what a 35 foot wall of water looks like
Scuba dive if you are Padi or snorkel if you aren't.
Forget the hotel for a night or two and sleep on the beach if you can bare it.
Get tanned before you show up because it might rain or you may burn.
Id pass on a motorcycle and just rent a scooter if I was you.
If you really want to ride a bike Ill let you borrow mine but there is nowhere to really ride here.
The best beach is Lanikai Beach (its #1 beach in USA and #8 in the world) which is where I live but theres no hotels or anything like that in my area. My son attends Lanikai Elementary and people think Im a millionaire until I pull up in my 1999 Honda Accord next to his classmates mom driving a Lamborghini.
expect hotel to be 150-250 a night, car rental about 100 a day because of your age, motorcycle about 100 a day also. If you get quoted a price for something make sure you have written proof before you show up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow dude thanks for the info we ended up changing our minds after looking at maps and realizing that we would be spending alot of cash to spend 20 hours in a plane then be bored on an island.
So we decided to jump on the bike and ride easy till we hit ocean and back
Thanks for the thoughts though
Rw

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow dude thanks for the info we ended up changing our minds after looking at maps and realizing that we would be spending alot of cash to spend 20 hours in a plane then be bored on an island.
So we decided to jump on the bike and ride easy till we hit ocean and back
Thanks for the thoughts though
Rw

no problem man. I still don't understand why people spend $3000 and up flying to hawaii to take a $40 tour to look at a $3 pineapple.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ok Bra, I lived there for a year from 2010-2011 And I had 2-3 Ducatis with me at my house in Wahiawa (10 min from north shore 30 min from downtown)

1) Total custom Monster

2) my black 944 street fighter.

3) brand new 2011 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP (kick ass bike)

I ended up riding my HM 95% of the time.

I looked for every possible road, dirt or asphalt, chained off or open. I never worked so I got to ride 24/7-365 littalrey. So I can safely say I have been on every road on Oahu, even on every military base. (I was a rider coach for MSF) and in the end there are 3 rides I would do and only 3. I always start of at dawn to ovide traffic. (ride 1: you cant do a total loop of the island because theres one point you can ony walk to, but me being me I rode out this singal track path trying to make a total loop. 20-30 feet down on my left side with a path just wide enough for to walkers to pass each other. (I could see the end but I culdent quite ride to it.)
so you want to ride up towards Halivia (north part of the island) and ride the outer rd clockwise around and up into the city. By the time you get to the city the fun is over and find a safe way home. (ride 2: go to Tantuls Mt. and just go up and down then back up and down. (its best on a SM) nice smooth road good grip cooler temp less trafic corners rangeing from 15-20mph hair pins to a section of esses at about 60-80 depending on how good you are. I would get power slides out of corners and get my knee down easer then I thought it would be. (this is the most fun you will have on a bike in Oahu peroid) Then because I was a MSF instructor and in with the military. about once every two months the will shut down part of a runway on a base and set up a small track, I could bearley click 4th gear for a mil a secont. but it is kindove a all day thing for as long as you can stand. and you dont have to be Military to do this it just help because there the ones that seam to know when its going to happen and ofcourse the MSF guys because we put it on and are incharge. and that is ride 3. There is a 3-4 mile strech of twisty road on the windward side of the island (east side) but its short and often scatterd with dirt and rocks.
It can be a down pour of rain in one spot then les then 5 min away look like there is no chance of rain. ps. it will rain atleast once a day (maby only for 20 min) but yes every singal day.

Here are some pics from a place where i could jump stairs to rides on the beach. and the over look on Tantuls Mt.

Good luck be carefull and have fun and you should go to supermotojunkies.com and theres a Hawaii rider fourm, most are from Oahu and you could probley talk one of thoes guys into not only renting you a bike buy probley even being your guide. I knew all of them at one point. A supermoto is best over there.

PICS

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts