Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Eddie
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys - I apologise in advance for any apparent dumbness in the following.

There's a chance I'll be moving to New York in the next 2 months and last week I came over for a chat with the guys I would be working with. I was staying up on 58th and had to just walk down to about 36th but I think given where I'd work I'd probably go and live in Brooklyn or somewhere similar as I want to bring my bike and ride it as much as i can. A couple of guys here have been great and given me some pointers on getting a modified bike over.

It'll be awesome being able to get out of the city and onto US roads and just explore the place.

But I did think it was a bit odd that I saw so few bikes even though i get i was in Manhattan. When I asked someone there about this they said 'yeah people don't really like bike riders in NYC - they sort of get pissed off with them and chances are you will get hit anyway.'

I used to live in London and rode my bike there for 14 years and whilst it's pretty quite here by those standards, I have been doing the same in Sydney for the last decade too.

I'm not so fussed about people getting pissed with you but I did have one question:

- In the UK, cutting traffic is fine and was actually part of the test when i took it. In Sydney its technically not legal but as long as you don't do it by a police car, everyones generally OK with it - in NYC though, whats the score - do the police and every other dude in a car get upset with you if you ride through the middle of stationary traffic?

Cheers for the advice - you might save me getting pulled up before I actually get to the end of the road!

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Jerry is right on lane splitting but there is great riding out side the city. People in NY are assholes but I wouldn't worry about it bring your bike have fun

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
^ +1

Once you get out of the city, you'll see that attitude is totally the opposite. The rest of the state is much much more biker friendly. The roads are awesome and there's much to see. Plus you'll have pretty easy access to New England, and Pennsylvania from there. Def worth having a bike. But yeah, NYC is not really a great riding city, as its not really designed for it. Its mostly cars, foot traffic, or public transportation.

·
Eddie
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys - thats good to know. London is much the same.

The roads outside look outstanding though. I figure i'll be there smack in the middle of winter but that'll give me time to work out where everything is.

Look forward to meeting some of you!

Dave

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
on that note
does anyone actually know what happen ?
I mean before the guy hit the first bike ?

It looks like as they where harassing the rider & pulling in front of him, doing a brake check.

Is there a full video version ? was it provoked ? not that it makes sense to run over some one with a 2.5t SUV but would like to know what really happened

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
on that note
does anyone actually know what happen ?
I mean before the guy hit the first bike ?

It looks like as they where harassing the rider & pulling in front of him, doing a brake check.

Is there a full video version ? was it provoked ? not that it makes sense to run over some one with a 2.5t SUV but would like to know what really happened
from another forum

first off DO NOT LISTEN TO THE NEWS ARTICLES ITS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT WENT DOWN. i was on the ride. didnt see this but alot of my boys where right there when it happened. all the cars on this highway slowed down and lets the bikes pass by it was like 500+ bikes none of the bikes were doing anything to antagonize the drivers...this one guy felt the need to speed up and into the middle of the pack and swerve in and out almost hitting numerous riders..probably impatient didnt want to wait the THREE minutes it wouldve taken to let everyone by..the guy that slows down in front didnt even brake check if you watch close enough he just lets off the gas probably to tell the dude back off and let everyone pass him but the guy taps him...ok, not a big deal , they stop cause it was an accident im sure to check the bike and yell at the dude alittle bit tell him to back the fuck off and be on their way. trust me noone on this ride was trying to stand around or be parked up on the highway or fight anyone..they were trying to meet up with another pack..if the dude parked there, locked his doors if he was scared, and said sorry im sure they woulda been on their way. nothing at all gave him the right to gas that shit and monster truck over everyone. if a gun was pulled or they started smashing out his windows id say yes but come on just being "SCARED" does NOT give you the right to do that! the only REAL attacks done were after him running everyone over and dipping off like it was no big deal. theres a kid from massachussets thats clinging to life because of that

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
That corroborates an account I heard on a kaw group. Saying that at the start of the video they were already after him for trying to run people off the road.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
BoxerGurl
193 Posts
If someone is deliberately hitting ppl no matter what vehicle you are on or in, they need to be stopped. Once that person does that, they won't hesitate to do it again just because. He was in a suv...airbags, seat belts and encaged by saftey...motorcyclist don't have that luxury so in my mind if they are being deliberately struck that's attempted murder.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts
Yah I'm not much for hurting others but if that happened to my friend I'd be all over it for sure. The beatings were just.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Reactions: gixxer1100

·
Bewbie
435 Posts
I can already hear the new anti-bike laws being written.

Riding in NYC can be fun if your suspension is well maintained lol
Manhattan riding is kind of cool at night when it's relatively quiet ( dead stopped traffic only 80% of the time)
Brooklyn riding seems best suited for bar hopping, if that's what you're into.
Upstate is where you go for some good enjoyable riding.
Probably sounds like I'm saying having a bike in nyc isn't a good idea right? Actually the opposite...it's pretty goddamned necessary if you want to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time without pulling your hair out!
You said you'll be around 58th street right? PM me when you get settled, we'll head out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts