Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking/drooling over some wicked nice bead rolling video and was wondering if it's possible to do a 4 piece tank (bottom and tunnel would be welded) so I could have that wicked riveted panel look that's not fair brushes. Is it possible to make that seam gas tight and would hold up against corrosion? And a step further is there rivets that can hold up to the same conditions?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I have came to the conclusion that won't be possible. I'm thinking I might find other things to fan and rivet on the bike.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts

Riveted with the tunnel still out and then brazed shut on the back side.

I've seen a few choppers with riveted tanks, but all were welded shut internally before closing up and then lined as well

Otherwise your next solution would be an orbit former that does the "rivet" for soda can tops which is actually a button formed from the metal itself and no actual protrusion into the cavity. Those run about $30-45k :D

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I was gonna say it must be POSSIBLE, because those old boilers you see are often riveted ... then I realized the part you see that is riveted is the fire box, the pressure is inside pipes. Brazing from the back seems a sound idea. Even if you started with a solid tank and riveted patches to it just to get the look of a riveted structure, you'd probably have leaks where you drilled the holes without some sort of coating.

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
Lmao!! I just got this mental image of an adult size kid sittind by a claymore with a stick...the sound...poke,poke....poke,poke,poke. BOOM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts