Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time welding. Fabricator bailed on me yesterday to do the subframe so I bought a tubing bender and broke out my harbor freight MIG. No gas set up, just flux at the moment.

Messy welds to say the least but most looked good and strong.

Ground down and slipped a ring over the welds to reinforce them. Punched a big ass hole in it with the wire.

Thinking cutting it and slipping billet rod the ID of the steel tube and fill welding it. What are your thoughts?

Yes it might be a good idea to get a proper welder in this structural job but is be really tickled to do it myself. Good thing is the bottom mounts support the majority of weight.

Check it out.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Billet? Aluminum right?....inside a steel tube I wouldn't do it, why not just slip another piece of steel pipe inside then weld it all up and grind er smooth? It would be plenty strong...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
welcome to flux core. What you are doing is possible but it is very frusterating for the reason you have experienced already.

From what i understand you want to put aluminum on the inside so you fill the hole in the tubing and still have a hollow tube. If it isnt a load bearing part that is fine since it is just cosmetic, if it is to support anything it isnt so great because it will be brittle. You could use a steel slug to add strength but you will still just blow away the thinner tubing for the most part.

Just because a weld looks good does not mean it is fit for service.... you can lay an awesome bead on some super thick plate with that welder and then just chisel it off without much trouble. Personally they only time i actually like using flux core is for dual sheild welding. I know you have to work with what you have (i was stuck with a flux core for a long long time) and the best thing i can tell you is to tack it up how you want it and take it to somebody that can weld it and not have any doubts whether it will work or not.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
+1 on tacking it up and bringing it to a pro

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree with taking it somewhere. In my experience, because you have done the technical part of figuring out placement and what not, a shop will charge less then you think to complete the welds. I also understand wanting to do it yourself. But, being your second time welding, I would complete some nonstructural welds first. Also, grab some scraps and practice, a lot! Use different thickness metal to learn your welders settings and speed on something if you screw up, it won't piss you off. I've seen awesome welds with shitty equip and shitty welds with awesome equip. All depends on your determination to learn.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I appreciate the feedback boys.. The tack and take idea is definitely a sound suggestion and I've already got my welder lined up. Doubling up on this sub I want it 100% functional so I think that's the route I'm going. Need to get a gas set up and some more practice in before I tackle my first real structural welds

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as a little update on this thing. It tacks flux much better than sustained beads. Gonna play with a gas set up in the next couple months and build the battery box. In the meantime this is how the rest of the subframe build turned out.

Don't have completed pics but after I tacked this altogether a shop down the street charged me $20 to lay nice fat material around all my welds.

No closeups but this is what it now looks like on the bike.

thanks for the input fellas
When in doubt get a pro to do the important stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts