Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Rookie rider realizes revvy ratty R6

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Thebrokemofo 
#1 ·
What's up fighters?
I'm Mofo, and this is my self motivational and accountability thread to actually do something with the R6.

Bought it for myself for my birthday 2 years ago. $900 because my coworker at the time had lost the only key, and it was too much for his taste to fix it. Yes, it was legal, he used to daily it. So I bought it, hot wired it, and started to learn to ride* on it. Then I figured out the other issues and why it was really $900...

Typical Yamaha regulator/rectifier issues... And of course, I learned the hard way that buying a cheap stator and reg/rec was a bad idea.
Worked a bit harder and bigger checks got me a Ricks Racing stator, and a Roadstercycle mosfet complete kit!

So she runs, albeit noisely.

Up next was an Ape Racing manual timing chain tensioner. Works great!

New front tire, and we're in business. Learned to ride on it and daily rode it almost all winter.

I don't think I have any photos of it from the early days. Maybe when I had let a friend borrow it...

Anyway, this where it's at parts wise..

Roadster cycle mosfet r/r
New charging harness all the way through
Ape racing chain tensioner
Vortex 520 kit. -1 up front
K&n drop in filter(PO install)
Yoshimura slip on(PO install)
eBay shorty adjustable levers
eBay bar end mirrors w/ modified grips to fit OEM weighted bar ends
V2 of my cluster mount solution (v1 shall not be known)
eBay LED headlight
Kill switch/keyless ignition (cheap)

I'd like to eventually eliminate the pillion and have it solo seated up, but I want something unique and hasn't been beat to death. Plus, the main goal is to be able to spend an hour taking off the S/f headlight and bar ends, and slap OEM race plastics on for track weekends...

Got a long road ahead. I bought a TIG setup specifically for learning aluminum welding for work/this...thing.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! Family heirloom, it's a fun weekender. mostly stock.

Got really demotivated due to work complications, and just winter in general, so I dropped off the project for a while.
Did ride in to work one day, and got this pic.

Went down to visit a buddy in Florida, and after helping with his bike, I got the itch.
I don't know what I want to do, or how I want to do anything, but I ordered a subframe off eBay.

OEM, looks straight, no ganked threads, no cracked welds. Probably going to play with some tape and carbon fiber and see where I want to cut it. if I want to.

Also got some Domino grips. We installed them on that same friend's bike and they really seem to grip the leather palms/fingers. I dig em.

And the HRC rear reservoir kit. I know, it's a Yamaha, but I like the idea of this kit.

Now to figure out what to cut and where....

edit:Bug pic during door repairs, excuse the mess. Mid job switch and moving boxes and parts.

#8 ·
brembo tygron tube works well its what i use... but the hrc cap is also vented iirc so that can let in moisture as well... i made a little aluminum cap for mine it's vented... but i doubt it works that well... anyways... its been solid for the last what 5 years..

#9 ·
more handy info! thank you!
Since we're on a roll, I'm looking at cutting my seat assembly, but I don't know what I'm looking for.
maybe this?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

and a headlight fix....
I really like the tracker look, but I dunno how I want to implement it. How do you guys deal with the block?

#11 ·
Quick little update from work. Coworker gifted me his old 2 brother's mufflers off his r1. One took a nasty hit, so I cut it down and am gonna find some time to slap it on...

However I did also find a gnarly oil leak while I was riding home and could smell burning oil. Parts ordered there too... It's that weird little oil delivery pipe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.