Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'97 F3. rusty exhaust manifold. I tried wire brushing and various other stripping implements. Then I gave up and painted it black with high temp paint. The paint didnt last though. does anyone have any suggestions?? It's old, and I dont have the money for new. right now I'm at "cut down lower fairing for a belly pan" (I cant afford one of those either)

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
a bunch of 80 grit sandpaper (or btter yet , emery cloth) and allot of elbow grease. that is unless you have a friends with a big ass sandblaster.

also, another thing that works is the drill attachments that you get in the autobody section at auto parts stores, or even walmart. only problem with them is that they tend to clog the really stiff ones work really nice most of the time. depends how thinck the rust is. I believe scotch-brite makes them.

ultimatly, if you don't have access to a blaster then its gonna take a few hours of hand work, a couple hours of drill work.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,707 Posts
fslflint said:
a bunch of 80 grit sandpaper (or btter yet , emery cloth) and allot of elbow grease. that is unless you have a friends with a big ass sandblaster.

also, another thing that works is the drill attachments that you get in the autobody section at auto parts stores, or even walmart. only problem with them is that they tend to clog the really stiff ones work really nice most of the time. depends how thinck the rust is. I believe scotch-brite makes them.

ultimatly, if you don't have access to a blaster then its gonna take a few hours of hand work, a couple hours of drill work.
+1 your gonna have to sand that down so good and you might as well do the whole thing..then paint it so i wont rust again. its all about the prep work tho. sand sand sand sand.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I do gunsmithing work on the side. when I was working on one of my first refinnish jobs an oldtimer told me "remember, peepeepee equals peepeepee". I was like WTF?, the he explained. piss poor prep equals piss poor paint.

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately the sand blaster I do have access to is not big enough... tried a bit of open door spraying but had to stop due to the incredible mess I was making. it always comes down to "shut up and do it" in the end I guess

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,707 Posts
basically. :LolLolLolLol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
easy solution done it loads of times, get the 'ole angle grinder out with a nice little flap wheel on and go to town. youl get it to bare metal in no time. jus remember not to stop in one place too long or youl start actually takin the metal off :eek:

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
For painting take a look at this link
http://www.duplicolor.com/training/primer_training.html
(I just posted it in the DIY section) Check out the High Heat and Engine Enamal videos. I use the highest temp I can find to do headers, I don't know that I'd go with 500 degree for headers like they say, but maybe my prep work is just lacking.

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, I was actually able to bang one of the sections off so it fit in the sandblaster. got it all painted up now, hopefully it'll last past one ride this time

·
KNUCKLE UP
209 Posts
I saw a show a couple of days ago about rust removal by electrolysis. Basically you take a big plastic tub and put water and baking soda(1 or 2 table spoons per gal. of water). Take a battery charger take one lead and connect it to a piece of metal and put the piece of metal in the water solution but not put the clip in the water. Take the other lead and connect it to the piece that you need for rust removal. Submerge that piece but not the clip in the solution. Make sure that the two different pieces of metal are not touching and turn on the charger. Let it run in the solution for about 48 hours. It should convert the rust back to iron oxide without removing metal like by sanding and grinding. This will not work on nonferrous metals. Archeologist have been using this procedure for years. I know you have already taken care of your problem but I thought this would be good for future things.

·
hack
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just came across this. that sounds pretty good to me, would have been a hell of alot less choking for me than the sandblaster. plus it gives me a reason to bring bike parts in the house. anybody else sleep better at night with a bike in the living room?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,707 Posts
no. youre not. i always have to go out and say goodnight to the bikes and tuck them in before bed. its too cold for them in the garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.