Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove rust from a gas tank. I search on google and they have different types of rust removers. Ex: Evapo-rust, Metal Rescue, Liquid Specialties, Safest Rust Remover. Which one to go with? The cheapest I found was Liquid Specialties Metal Rust Remover for $16.49 plus free shipping. http://www.liquidspecialties.com/ Never heard of them. Website said 100% or money back. Also http://www.evapo-rust.com/ Which they sale at autozone for $23.00. Just seeing if anyone out there ever used a product like these. Need input before I order some. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
346 Posts
welcome to the forum, be sure to post in the welcome center so we can get to know you.
for your question depending on the amount of rust i have had good luck putting in a bunch of nuts and bolts with some gasoline and shaking it till my arms fall off. rince it out a few times and maybe line it with something( i never have ive been lucky) throw on a new fuel filter and keep a spare handy and bobs your uncle.
what sort of bike do ya got and post some pics aready!!! jeese
:D
rw

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't hate to much but its a 3 wheeler Honda ATC. Gas tank cap was left off for many years when it sat up. If I shake by hand with the screws, that going to be a workout. Seems like Metal rescue is the same as Evapo-rust and Liquid Specialties. How long does it take for the rust to clean? Metal Rescue at $28 buck a gallon. To much for me lol. Even on LiquidSpecialties.com they want $17 buck a gallon. They think there stuff is made of gold.
Want to say away from acid. I'll try the screw shake and see what I can get out.

G

·
Remove and seal the petcock.

take a bunch of screws doesn't matter what kind. Tossed down the filler neck and shaken like hell.

Cleans really well. It's how i do all my tanks.

I do similar but use some short lengths of lightweight chain or a bunch of nuts on a wire, easier to get out when you have finished, i block the fuel tap & put a couple of pints of fuel in as well, works well & is free

·
Token Short Guy
321 Posts
I did my last tank with Muriatic Acid, and Phosphuric Acid... Worked like a charm. Just make sure you do a final rinse with something petroleum based to keep it from flash rusting

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
18" of steel cable or bicycle chain in a cordless drill does a pretty good job, and it's easier to remove from the tank than screws or pennies. A couple of the vintage guys here in Columbus swear by it, I haven't personally done one this way yet.

I've had good luck with vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio and I've had good luck with naval jelly mixed with water. Can't remember the ratio though.

Rinse the tank out after a few days with water and then spray with WD-40 to keep more rust from forming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a simple solution to remove the rust inside your petrol tank, ......put little stones inside the tank and let it shake and shake (there are more solutions for shaking automatically)....and see the rust is completely removed.....when the tank needs to be as new for many years , there is a special 2 component coating special for petrol tanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.