1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
here is my project
I have a 86 honda goldwing that i got for free- title and such
i was just going to polish it up and sell it but i found a sidecar body cheap and i got a crazy idea.
i know this is custom fighters so goldwings and sidecars dont mix with fighters but you guys are super resource full so i figured i would post it here.

I referee roller derby and since it is a small but exploding sport i end up driving long distances to get to games. i hate cars so i would rather take a bike but there is alot of crap to carry esp if my wife is playing in the game. so i want a bike that can haul all of our crap and serve as an ambulace to take her home after she breaks herself.

About a year ago i stumbled across a leaning sidecar arrangement where the bike leans independent of the hack this is the arrangement i am going for with this build.

so here are a few blury pics as right now i have just stripped a couple hundred pounds of plastic off the bike and extra metal. last pic is of the tub i picked up for 300 bucks

I hope the pics work i'm new at this forum thing.

·
BLACK BELT
6,920 Posts
I referee roller derby and since it is a small but exploding sport i end up driving long distances to get to games. i hate cars so i would rather take a bike but there is alot of crap to carry esp if my wife is playing in the game. so i want a bike that can haul all of our crap and serve as an ambulace to take her home after she breaks herself. :LolLolLolLol:
Good luck with your leaner. I was planning a street legal mx sidehack, but ran short on partners.

I was a jammer for the U.S. All-Star Roller Derby Team and also played in the TV Series "Rock 'N' Rollergames". I played against the All Japan Team in the Tokyo Dome and for Japanese TV. Also done many live shows from the Olympic Auditorium and all over the place.

I also have a couple of custom bike threads going. Happy to help you if I can, but I'm no expert on Gold Wings.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smoker that's crazy awesome do ya have any vids? I would love to skate in a men's league but the nearest one is a 3 hour drive to Chicago with 40 bucks in tolls lol but I get to skate in the occasional scrim with the ladies.

Back to the bike I got a few mins to play last night and got most of the fenders off . As much as I hate to say it this thing is looking more and more like a low bratty cruiser unless I can figure out a way to jack up the rear somehow with the shafty and twin shocks. I knew it wasn't going to be a cafe with needing to be two up. So it will be different to my normal ride but that's ok. Here's a pic ImageUploadedByMO Free1383225276.889856.jpg

Also stripped off the rest of the front ImageUploadedByMO Free1383225324.438290.jpg
I will prolly use the front fender but cut down and the factory brace just to save cost.
While I was taking off all of the unneeded wire like radio controls ( who has a radio on a bike?) I noticed this wire going Into the stem nut on the triples anybody have any idea wot it is so I can get rid of it here's a pic. ImageUploadedByMO Free1383225502.219248.jpg

Edit!!!! It is a part of the self canceling turn signals this may or may not stay lol

Also anyone ever rebuild a fork with air assist on it there is a large puddle under my forks and they are just pissing fluid? I don't know if its any different that a conventional fork.

Cheers RW

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dads sporty was In my shop this morning getting fueling sorted threw on the seat with a little imagination actually fitting what do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByMO Free1383227824.444478.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1383227840.780672.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1383227856.414950.jpg

·
BLACK BELT
6,920 Posts
On some bikes, jacking up the rear doesn't work out too well. As the rear end goes up - the rake angle of the front end gets steeper and steeper.

Sometimes it's better not to jack, but to attach a subframe with an upward angle. Just depends what you want to end up with.

I'll bet you could strip over 100 pounds off that monster. That stock exhaust probably weighs close to 50 lbs.

I was lucky to skate at a good time when Roller Derby was trying to make a big comeback. My first coach was Ralphie Valladares, and my second coach was Larry Lewis. I skated many games with the greats like Richard Brown, Sam Washington, Skinny Minnie Miller, and on and on.

I don't have much video or memorabelia. Just some pics and lots of great memories.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got the giant muffler off weighs 25 pounds and was freaking massive clears up alot of space.
Btw you have to take the rear wheel off which is really easy on this bike barring a seized rear caliper I was able to push the axel out with a finger. Never been able to do that on any bike I've owned.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1384054154.856747.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1384054171.251788.jpg

Rw

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the plan may be a 4- 2 haven't decided yet still ruminating at the moment. At any rate it will lighter and smaller.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Man I can't wait to see how this turns out. I've been wanting to build a sidecar racer for ages now. sub'd

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Built myself a shitty welding table today mostly as welding practice. I have a Lincoln arc welder so it's not pretty but I'm getting better at it.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1384304530.557682.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1384304810.781916.jpg

Mostly used it as experiments hence burning through in a spot and some bad welds but I think I layed a decent one near the end
Rw

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
practice practice practice. welding will get easier with practice. as long as it doesnt fall apart who cares what the welds look like right off the bat.

as far as the bike goes i totally dig it. do you have a wheel for the sidecar? i saw someone sidecar a gl1100 and he used the extra rear wheel i had for mine for the sidecar. not sure how he went about it but it looked really slick. also the gl1100 i had responded really nicely to losing that huge exhaust and a few jetting tweaks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to decide what direction to go for the wheel.
I was thinking about a matching front wheel from the wing this has the benefit of matching having a built in disk brake and being cheap about 40 bucks for a wheel rotor and shot tire.
The bad with that is they are huge and I want my hack as low to the ground as I can get. I may be able to help it with frame trickery.

I was also thinking of a scooter wheel say like a 12 inch but there won't be a wheel that matches but I will keep things low and have at least a shitty rotor for a brake. But they expensive as well bout 100 bucks for rim and rotor with a shot tire.

I have been seriously thinking bout just running a trailer set up as it would be cheap and easy can get parts anywhere but would look like shit and no real provision for an easy brake.
Willing to take any ideas
Rw

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
stick with at least a 16 inch wheel. smaller wheels suck. especially if theres no suspension under the side car

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I'm starting to lean that way I just need to figure out how to keep it low
A design like this may work

ImageUploadedByMO Free1384554100.666388.jpg

Seems to keep it low while keeping a large wheel
Since I'm building a leaner I need the hack wheel as close to even with the bikes rear wheel as possible so that shouldn't be a problem with people getting in an out.
Still I'm no engineer so takes more time for me to figure things out like this

1 - 20 of 65 Posts