Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts

Simple enough suspension to rig up - you can use modifies bike parts for most of it. Then you can use a larger wheel and set the spindle/axle point higher.

big advantage with a swing arm style set up is that you can run your larger wheel and set the ride height as you want it. It keeps the width of the vehicle nice and tight but doesn't intrude you your sidecar space.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I figured I would post this here rather than the build off thread.
I took of the front wheel to see how it would fit up as the sidecar wheel.
I have run into a snag, while the size is perfect the axle size is only 15 mm.
So for now I think I will be running a trailer setup until I can afford to get a bike wheel bored to fit larger bearings.
Unless someone's got a better idea.
Sucks but it is what it is.
I will be ordering the steel with my next paycheck for the frame. Hopefully things will start moving along.
Rw

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
got a little bit of work done today

ImageUploadedByMO Free1398717664.393958.jpg
this is the rear mount for the sub frame. this used to be the centrestand mount but for mock up this will work. i will be cutting off the arms and welding in thicker stock and i will gusset and such. the heim joint will mount to the center of this bar.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1398717714.014430.jpg
got to work on making the front mounts. the idea was making a p shape so i have more surface area to weld to. there will be one of these on either side on the down tubes near the bottom of the radiator. it didnt really go well but i know what i need to do for the next one note to self 01 tool steel wont bend like mild it snapped right off when i tryed to bend it to straighten it out.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1398717744.226509.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My dad found a toy in the back of his basement. I bought this thing prolly a decade ago when i was going to build myslef a custom chopper outta an old rusty moped. I was cutting conduit with it back then. needless to say nothing ever happened with that "chopper"
anyway it works a bit quicker than a hack saw

ImageUploadedByMO Free1400018817.415355.jpg

the beginning of the under tube of the subframe the end of this will notch into the bar from previous pictures. then it will run up to the front mounts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1400018847.718944.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry for the small pictures I don't feel like doing this from a pc maybe later I will photo bucket these
Sorry for the lack of work. It's been a cluster at work and I had lost some of the vision for this. I still have no idea what I'm going to do for the tank. And I've been getting frustrated lately.

I managed to get to some of the frame bits so far.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1403823416.587765.jpg
Rear is nice and tight to the engine when I strip the frame I will be making a stronger mount
ImageUploadedByMO Free1403823441.476546.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1403823462.752785.jpg
Ill be cutting off the front and hopefully there will be enough space to get the filter off without taking this frame off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good progress, I like the direction you are going.
Did you figure out the wheel/axle. I have a gs1000 rear disc brake wheel that uses a 20mm axle. If you need it, its yours.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks mista I think in going to go with a trailer tyre I put the stock front wheel against the tub at operating height and the tyre comes up 2-3 inches over the side of the tub I can see a new rider having their arms over the side and getting it bashed into their arm. Also I can get a narrower trailer tyre which will help keep the whole thing narrower overall.

I can also get spares at just about any Walmart and menards ect so I won't have to rely on custom machined parts when I'm on long trips.

I may change my mind in the future I figure I can get rolling this way and mod later

Thanks for the offer though ill send rep when I get home tonight

Rw

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ImageUploadedByMO Free1410467203.869073.jpg

New toy should make things quicker tired of hacksaws and cut off wheels for precise cuts
Updates soon
Rw

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
ImageUploadedByMO Free1410710141.879060.jpg
Made use of the new saw and cut out the brackets for the front subframe 3 more to go
These will get welded to the frame and braced together.
Then a cross bar will go in to which I will mount the front heim joint
Hoping to get all that today though cutting out the one bracket took forever. Still better than doing it by hand
Rw

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sub'd on this am looking for a Goldwing to strip down into a café style bike myself. Watchin to see how this goes for you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ImageUploadedByMO Free1410719876.722920.jpg
All cut out took about 40 min each it's a nice day I'm going for a ride

Good luck with the goldwing these things look pretty cool stripped down plan on making a new faux tank if you go with a 1200 and up
Rw

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well I ended up scrapping all that. It would have been bulky and require a lot of welding. Something I haven't mastered as well as I would want for a part like that.
I saw another build on here making a hub steer f/e and inspired a new design that will be much simpler to make should be much stronger. And the only welding should be on the crossbar.
Basically ill be cutting out a 1/4 steel plate. Bolting it on to the front motor mounts. Then carve out a beefy u clamp out of some steel square stock that I got. Then weld on the crossbar. The pic should explain a bit better.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1413781470.020441.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1413781513.920147.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ImageUploadedByMO Free1416782315.938259.jpg
Small update. I spent alot of time dicking with foam until icame across this for 3 bux gl1100 peice doesn't fit worth a damn but I think mod it a bit.
It's going to come down about 2 inches and forward as far as I can go

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Half the tank in situ
I'll need to make a new Centre panel and mounting brackets but I like how it looks.
need to figure out how it's going 5 look with the headlight. Might need to go to a round headlight.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts