Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What started out as a connection point between my friend and I is now my little project.

I used to admire this bike when I would see it in the city because of the totally awesome ratted fairings with the "FUCK BITCHES" sparkle sticker letters. I met my buddy and soon after I found out that it was his bike that I had been admiring. Fast forward to a year or two of neglect and the hard life of being knocked over a couple times and getting rained on all the time, the bike had fallen into a bit of disrepair. My friend was moving out of town and needed to get rid of it.

I scooped it up because ive always wanted an early CBR600 and the deal was too good to pass up. Anyway here it is when I got it:

Honestly it sat in my garage for a while because I had the Kawasaki to worry about. Then I started to work on it and there was more work than i needed to do to my Kawasaki when I got it, and that thing needed a transmission among other things. Just a rough list of all the things to get it to riding around the block condition:
-Repair Engine
-Clean Carbs and replace a bunch of parts when I was in there
-Spark Plugs
-Oil change (duh)
-New Radiator & Coolant system flush
-Wiring of the Headlight & Front turn signals
-Purchase and wiring of LED Tail Light and LED rear turn signals
-Weld brackets for tails and turn signals
-Dismantle and rebuild 'unservicable' petcock
-Pull apart and refurbish turn signal switch
-Buy new throttle tube & lube cables
-Bar End Mirrors
-Bleed brakes & adjust rear brake

Once I got that done, the main change was the exhaust. The stubby can was ridiculously loud. I had my buddy TIG me a midpipe to use this other can I had laying around. Its much quieter, but I think I could probably get it a little quieter.

So heres how it sits now:

Plans are:

-Some sort of custom tail. Not sure what direction I want to head on this. Ive considered a NSR 50 tail, since I can get one kinda cheap I think. A ZX6 (93-96) race tail caught my eye. Whatever I do, I want some sort of storage. I'm so jealous of my buddy's srad gixxer's trunk area.

-Clear headlight (maybe do a non-round style headlight, but thats more expensive) with bright H4 bulb. I'll probably incorporate a headlight relay with this.

-Clean up loose wires

-A123 battery?

-Smooth unused mounts on the frame and paint.

So i'm gonna be doing something fairly mild, but I like riding the bike already (aside from the piss poor lighting) so I dont see much of a reason to change things.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Decided to mess with the F4i Tail the previous owner had. I think I'm going to go with it

Now to make all the required mounts. I also got a hacked up undertail with it, but i'll probably figure that out on my own.

I intend to purchase a 954 taillight and do as the gixxer guys do since this tail looks pretty similar underneath:

I see more grinding and welding in my future.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know what to buy to convert to a electronic speedo? I think its an F4 trans cover, correct? If i get one of those, Gauges would be an easy task.

EDIT: I see, its a 95-98 900rr Sprocket cover with the speed sensor.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been riding the shit out of this bike lately as my kawasaki is now standing on 2 jackstands and being supported from a floor joist with a tie-down strap.

I made all kinds of brackets and flux core welded 2 years off of my life, but I made this tail fit, and I am fully capable of switching back to the F2 seat if necessary. That F2 seat is incredibly comfortable, and I fear that the F4i seat might sacrifice a little in that area. Also, my 5'8" self can no longer flat-foot on this bike with this seat. Oh well, it looks cool:

What do you think?

Next plans are mini gauges and rectangular headlight. After that, its sell, baby, sell! A bunch of my friends are interested in it.

·
Brhaap!
3,818 Posts
Engine needs to be cleaned. Some simple green and a scotchbrite pad goes a long way. Other than that, it is nice.

New subframe would be nice as well.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine clean/paint will happen once I get the Kawasaki rolling again. I'll likely check valve clearances at that point as a while I have it out kind of thing.

I plan on getting some el cheapo dial gauges and doing a custom gauge face. hopefully it will turn out well

Also considering an auxiliary HID driving light mounted to the fork. With some smaller gauges and the LED tail, I can afford the extra wattage of an additional HID light without draining the battery.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been cleaning it up here and there, this is how it sits:

Loader 'er up for a camping trip:

Next plans are weld up a new midpipe and get some passenger pegs. That should be about it, until i decide I want to do undertail

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looking good did you ever fix the transmission in it? I saw it in the first post then after that it was off down the road

1 - 11 of 11 Posts