Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Where did you get the tubing bent? Looks like an awesome project so far!

Reactions: up2L8

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
I think he ordered it in specific lengths and bends straight from a supplier. If I remember the prices weren't bad either.

That would be great info to have on hand though, those bends look perfect. It would prob be worth it for people looking to do a specific project and avoid messing with building/buying a bender and fucking up lots of tubing in the process.

·
uber newb!
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! i will say that the bike caht should go in the bike build thread ;) but i to am looking forward to seeing a bike come out of this!

as for hte tube bends, i got it done at Prescion tube in orgean (around the portland area...) however they are more a large order place... and dont except credit cards... (net 30 accounts payable by cash or check) while they will accept one off small lot work, youll have to mail them a check... but yes price was cheap IMO ~$250 for all the tubing for my frame, and some of it CNC bent, jsut had to give them an XY plot of the line vertices(where the strait lines would meet if no bends) and also the radius of the bend

im sure other tubing places closer to you would be able to bend the stuff, but im not really sure what to look for, we meet these guys at a trade show :)

and i should have an update posted in a few mintues :D

EDIT: UPDATE POSTED :EDIT:

-Levi

·
uber newb!
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know if id go that far... just cause im tring doesnt mean its going to be good :doh:

:LolLolLolLol:

Thank you, it does put a big smile on my face hearing that kinda stuff,

it looks like ill be going sking this weekend, so il be losing one day of work, but i plan on getting alot done,

ounce i get the second tube fitted and tacked, ill start work on the top tube, which requires buffing of both ends to fit right... if im lucky the tube will take less and less time to fit as i get used to cutting and cleaning up the tube ends...

once those get tacked up, ill have to bore the mounting tabs... which should be fine, but ill need to make the pins and such for the swing arm and motor and have those around when i mount the tabs...

but im not getting anywhere that close this coming week :)

·
est.1979
858 Posts
well Im really excited to see the end results of this one...I think that building a one-off frame is a dream for alot of bikers out there, including me.

Reactions: StigVR

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Looking good so far, real good.

Will you be pounding your own tank or using a donor? What about other bodywork, custom or donor stuff?

·
uber newb!
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i covered that in my bike build thread.... buut either way, ill post it here also.

body what? ;) the tail is being sourced from a 600RR (have it) run a bana seat, and under tail Rad, custom sub frame.

the tank.... havent decided yet... thinking about doing a compostie with bladder... but the id need a fuel pump for what i want todo... might make a simple one out of sheet steel or maybe Al(going to rent a spool gun for the AL...) using a little 1Gal block tank thing for testing ;) and probly the first few rides lol.

pretty much all the donnor stuff i have, everythign else needs to be built :D

on a side note, looks like ill be joining my colleges Formule SAE team... should be good... but fuck me for time! with class, job, this project, and family/hobbies im going to probly not be browsing the fourm much anymore... just updates and replys lol.

·
uber newb!
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i got quite abit of work done, but cant find the cable for my camrea :( i ended up getting all the tubes fitted, and tacked up.

then i got about %40 of main frame welded!!!

i found out im not that great of a welder... however having a really badass welding tools, means you dont have to be! they might not look pretty, but after tring to break two test pieces with a sledge hammer, and only being able to bend the tubing all to shit, and not break the welds.... i figure i dont have to worry about the welds :)

so far no warping, and again, thats thanks to the welder, maybe skipping around opposing edges and stuff might have helped, but i doubt it :p

if im lucky ill find a cable tommrow and upload some pics!

once the main tubes are all welded up ive got to nocth the lowers for the crossmember that will hold the motor mounts and swingarm...

·
uber newb!
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nummy got some pictures up!!!

there shitty so you guys cant laugh at my shittttttty welds :doh: but nothing a pencial grinder wont fix.

also to note, the welds are pretty raised, that's due to the RMD mode on the welder, its ment for things that have gaps of verying width and getting great pentration out of postion.

it works. the welds on the head tube, i can feal %100 pentration on the inside of the headtube with zero blow through. and i was filling some pretty big gaps (1/8" in one spot) with GREAT filling. i <3 the miller Pipeworks welder :rock:

hopefully more to come tongiht :)

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I don't want to sound mean, but when I learned tube fitment and construction for chassis (baja) type stuff everything we did was fit to .025" or closer. If you could slide an 026 feeler gauge in the tube either got adjusted. Or pitched. Our chassis was .095 chromolly, so that may be the difference.

My blackberry won't let me see you pics. I'm disapointed, I was lookin forward to pics.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts