Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Token Short Guy
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Building another bobber project. Working on a 72 XS650. Forks are seized and rusted.

Never swapped forks before. Alot of the swaps Im seeing involve heavy machine work and other stuff. This is the ULTIMATE budget build (No money invested so far) This bike isnt going to be a canyon carver. Its a around town, bar hopper. Stock forks are 34 mm with a triple setup that I am not fond on. I got a Ninja 250 I was thinking about snatching the front end off and using, Which would give me brakes etc etc. Or if I could find setup that was a more direct swap. (Mine being a 72 is a shorter stem then the later XS650s but I can make a spacer) But this is all new to me and I dont even know where to start.

·
Token Short Guy
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see they list bearings... So I assume that's using triples and stem from donor on my neck. I'm worried about stem length etc. I see people pressing in different stems etc. I guess Im just looking at too many different ways to do it and confusing myself. I'd really like to use the Ninja 250 front end just cause I have almost complete bike and would like to use brakes and everything. Planning on using the rear wheel and brake too...and it's free :Evil_smile:

G

·
If you are confusing yourself maybe this will help .... there are 3 basic ways to swap a front end, custom yokes (expensive) , a stem swap from your stock yoke to the new one (cheap), new bearings (cheap)

Discounting the expensive option & looking at a stem swaps the first thing you need to know is will the original stem fit in you new bottom yoke , if not then its a none starter & the option now is having a custom stem made, which should not be too expensive

Next looking at bearing swaps to fit your new front end, look at the OD of both bearings for your frame & the ID of the bearings for your new front end its as simple as that, if you can find a match then the next problem you may find is stem length, too short means a custom stem as above too long may be able to be machined or a small spacer made

All of which is pretty pointless if the front end you want to use is too short, too long, too stiff, or to lighweight for the bike its going on ....... all of this can be put right to an extent but expense may be a factor, it could be cheaper & easier to just find a front end more suitable

·
Token Short Guy
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dude thanks for breaking it down to idiot level for me haha... I have built everything else known to man but when it comes to this stuff its all new. the stock stem on my 72 is 170 mm... still trying to find the specs for a ninja 250 stem. How hard is it to get the old bearings and races out of the neck?

·
☢
5,596 Posts
dude thanks for breaking it down to idiot level for me haha... I have built everything else known to man but when it comes to this stuff its all new. the stock stem on my 72 is 170 mm... still trying to find the specs for a ninja 250 stem. How hard is it to get the old bearings and races out of the neck?
pretty easy. a punch a ball pein will get the outer races out of the head tube, a flat blade screw driver and hammer will free up the inner race from the stem and lower tree.

G

·
No worries, its how i think of things for myself, even after a lot of years doing this stuff it always seems much more simple if you break it down into little sections

1 - 10 of 10 Posts