Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states what's good? What's not good? Best way to do it? Best product to do it with? Basically how the fuck do you do it?

I had a little off yesterday slow speed sand got a little crack in the corner of my head light on my front fairing. Instead dropping the coin to buy a new fairing is like to learn the ways of plastic welding. Please school me.

Thanks

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Dude no. Fighters don't contain plastic. What is wrong with you!?!?

J/K Anyway back on topic. I used this plastic epoxy stuff I got from lowes. Came in a purple and black package and it worked awesome. I used it to actually puzzle piece my upper fairing back together. Then I sanded it down real good an painted it. Can't even tell the thing was ever broken.

Plus I've heard plastic welding is really hard unless you're a pro. And I don't feel like buying all the stuff to try it out.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was exactly the answer I was looking for do you by chance know the name of the epoxy I just happened to get a lowes gift card for Father's Day perfect timing lol

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome I will be buying that on my way home thank you. Now after this and my gas tank fuck up I'm going to be painting the r1 what color idk probably blue with a nice decal kit but who knows

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I forget it fit was here or on redit, but I saw a photoset (so probably reddit) where I guy pieced his shattered fairing together by putting metal screening along the back of the cracks, then melting the plastic enough to push it in, then melting on some more ABS. Not sure what he used to melt it, think it was just a heat gun with a focus tip. Looked tits when he was done, and he said he crashed a second time and the fairing broke again - in different places.

Seems worth a shot for big cracks, maybe not ideal for small ones, but the idea of using a backing strip of screen to cover the crack would also work with epoxy; same idea as any composite.

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
Harbor freight sells "plastic welding kits" which is a soldering iron with a triangular end. Works but looks like shit. I highly disapprove. Epoxy is for sure the answer...or cut your shit down and more it more fightered...or fighterder

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rep fucking andler I just used the epoxy and it worked like a charm. Needs a little sanding but it's holding fuck yea!!!! $5.47 for epoxy sure as shit beat $75-150 for new fairing. I'm going to be repainting the entire bike soon anyway so it can stay looking a little shitty till then.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I was sitting there holding it waiting on it to dry I said fuck I forgot to take a before pic. But ill post up before a d after sanding

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this epoxy shit is amazing, I was looking at this cracked fiber glass tail that was pretty bad and thought I wonder if I can fix that.

I put a pretty hefty amount on the crack and around it. But it held so I started to sand it down tonight and fuck I think I can save this tail fairing. My buddy needs one for his bike so ill probably just give it to him but this is after the first sanding.

I just put more on it kinda like bondo to fill in any of the spots I missed and spots that didnt flow right. I'm going sand it again in the morning and shot it with primer and it'll look like it was never there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts