Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 361 Posts

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys and girls, after 9 years, 2 crashes, 3 paint jobs and multiple rebuilds I'm finally going naked!

So a little back story, about 3 years ago I crashed her up good, well mostly cosmetic damages. It was totalled but I bought her back from the insurance company and decided to rebuild her naked. With a severe lack of money and at one point being out of work for about 6 months, it took me almost 2 years to get her back on the road. I have a great job now with great benefits and job security so Im doing it right this time.

I started tearing her down for a repaint a couple weeks ago so lets check out some before pictures...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Now on to the build...

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been working on the paint while I wait patiently (where the FUCK are my parts!!) for all my parts to come in.... and while I order more. So far Ive almost finished all the prep work, tail and headlight bezel still need a little sanding, but the front fender is ready for paint and I got the gas tank painted and cleared tonight.(sorry no pics for the finished tank yet)

Room Vehicle

Table Sewing machine

I have plans on making a custom tail and belly pan but I have no Idea when Im going to get to it so Im painting the tail section so the bike will look half decent until then. The tail section does look like shite though, I just want it to look half decent for now.

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tank done and new parts!

So last night I was able to completely paint and clear the tank so thats done, all it needs is a wetsand and buff. I would post some pics but with the lighting in my garage all the pictures are a white wash(spoiler alert). I did however get some new stuff in last night as well

Scale model

Im going to be rewiring the whole bike (for many reasons), the weatherpack connectors are a lot beefier then factory but atleast I can trust them and Im going to to tuck all the electrical anyways so no ones gonna see it...

The gauge cluster is a cheap china knock off but I have seen people successfully install them with full functionality so I figure for $70 its worth a try.

As far as the rest of the electrical system goes, I'm FINALLY installing a mosfet R/R, CBR COP's, programmable ICU and possibly get creative with the ignition... maybe

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

almost done with the paint, the only thing left is the tail, needs a little more prep work before paint. I'm gonna let those cure for about a week before wet sanding and buffing, but I got plenty to do in that time.

I hate how I always get sick ambition once riding season comes around... I should be riding her, not tearing her down

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and I love how the tail piece is the only temporary piece and is taking the most prep work out of everything

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So when I rewire the bike I would like to eliminate circuits that arent necessary. bypass the kickstand switch? thoughts anyone?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Personally, I like kickstand switch lol...

Clutch sure I know that my hand is on the clutch when I'm starting it. Neutral sure there is a light in the dash, no problem there.

The bike in my avitar has no kickstand switch, not even from the factory lol, and I have ridden off with it down.
A neighbor of mine with a Ducati had no kickstand switch and when he started off and negotiated the slight turn by my house it touched the road and put him up right and riding through my yard... :D

He was ok though and didn't drop the bike... But I feel like that one switch is handy because you can't see you kickstand when you take off....

Unless you are like me who looks down to make sure it's up like on my R6 just to avoid the embarrassment of the bike cutting off in the parking lot with people watching :D

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All valid points. To be honest I've never had a bike without a kickstand switch so I havent had those problems, but I cant tell you how many times I've kicked the shifter down into first just to have the engine cut out due to the switch... I guess thats a sign right there that I should be running the switch lol

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got some new parts, a little spoiler for you guys, a baby crib and a messy ass garage(time to do some cleaning)...

indicators are small but not too small and look great! set of 4 for $20, cant beat it. In the future however, when I make my custom tail the indicators will be incorporated into the body of the tail section.

I also got a set of CBR coils to swap out the existing frame mounted coils and wires with something a little more discrete and better performing.

Fender Automotive exterior Auto part

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I originally planned to rewire the bike in the future but it seems that I have almost everything or everything else on order... seems like im rewiring the bike in the very near future.

Technology

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been kinda lazy and slow moving today (drank way too much last night :oops:)

I did however get the CBR coils installed today...

removed the old coils and removed the plug and wires. cut two leads and plugs from the CBR harness and spliced them. I dont have any loom or heatshrink tubing on the wires because they are just going to get cut and respliced when I do the rewire in the near future. slid the top seal on the coils down about 3/4" to get good contact with the head/valve cover to prevent any movement. I gave up on adapting the lower seal from the original wires to the new coils and if water becomes a problem in the future I'll address it at that time...

Electronics Wire Technology Electrical network Electronic device

Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Electronic device

Auto part Tire Nozzle Rotary tool

Fuel line Auto part Wire

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks cookie, Ill try not to disappoint a fellow VTR fighterer, I got my work cut out for me lol

·
fuckin genius
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a little update on where I'm at.

My original plans have changed, originally the goal was to fix up the cosmetic/functional parts of the bike that I hacked together last time just to get riding with almost no money. From there I planned on collecting parts and get a game plan for the big projects (rewire, custom bodywork, entire cooling system)... But that has changed...

I'm rockin out with my cock out and jumpin right on into her... I mean the bike :rock:

Currently I'm pretty much down to a rolling chassis with an engine. While it is in this state I'm going to rewire the bike, got the factory harness out last night, just waiting on a few things to come in then I have to start crimping my life away... I also ordered up the radiators I will be using, I'll post pics when they come in. Removing the factory sidemounts last night finally helped me visualize my different options and made a descision.

Will also be ordering parts for my oil cooler setup tonight, after I pull the carbs because they need some serious jetting (waiting on a couple slow jets to come in)

Basically I'm just sick of waiting for parts to come in, I'm running out of shit to tear down lol... atleast I have :drinks:

Only question I have is, has anyone had any problems with the silicone radiator hose kits on ebay? It looks to me like the kit for the bike I'm getting the radiators from I can either use or modify to use almost every hose with my setup..

1 - 20 of 361 Posts