Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need to make a seat for my rat fighter which needs to be comfortable on long distance rides without making my arse hurt.

Making the seat will be no problem, but which foam should I use ?

In the past I've used locally available materials putting a light layer on top of a dense base layer. It starts out very comfortable but after a few hundred miles the top layer stays compressed and the seat becomes hard.

Any suggestions ? BTW I'm in the UK so some options might not be available here :(

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
I haven't found a replacement for the OEM foams yet, but I have been keeping an eye out for them.

One thing that I have found works well enough is a yoga mat. Designed to not collect moisture and is relatively easy to shape before covering.

I have seen one guy use carpet padding, but I don't believe that it is water resistant and may grow things over time.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience comes in with more information.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Lowe's tool department. They sell a kneeling pad for about $10 that they occasionally put on sale for 8 bucks. AWP is the brand and it's black with yellow stripes. Good density for a seat and it's plenty think.

Try to use closed cell foam so that it can't hold water in the foam and get your arse wet. Especially if you have a ventilated seats cover, or one with stitches.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Lowe's tool department. They sell a kneeling pad for about $10 that they occasionally put on sale for 8 bucks. AWP is the brand and it's black with yellow stripes. Good density for a seat and it's plenty think.

Try to use closed cell foam so that it can't hold water in the foam and get your arse wet. Especially if you have a ventilated seats cover, or one with stitches.
Forgot the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,

Unfortunately we don't have Lowes in the UK but there must be something similar. As suggested it might be an option to use OEM foam from an old seat.

I didn't know if there were any specific types or names that were better than others for long distances. Thanks for the input everyone !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts