Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a really ratty spare seat for the FJ, with plans of using the pan to build up a solo seat with custom ergo (can't slide back far enough on the stock) and maybe a small carry platform.

What do people suggest I do for foam? Would high density upholstery work, or is that to soft? I've heard suggestions of building up layers of yoga / camping mats with contact adhesive? What about those EVA floor mats, the ones with the interlocking edges made for kids rooms and work benches? What I really want is something with minimal water holding ability, fairly firm but not rock hard, that is at least an inch thick.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Ive seen all of what you've mentioned used.

Have you used a corbin? They're primarily higher density.
http://corbin.com/faq.shtml

They mention "most stock motorcycle seats use a foam density of 3-4 pounds" and "On average, Corbin foam is used at a density of approximately 7 pounds"

Thats lbs/cu ft iirc.

The problem I ran into when trying to get a gauge on EVA foam is none of the folks that sell it actually say what density formula they're using. You can get the stuff from 2 to like 25 density.

I ended up with a plan to cannibalize my corbin so I didn't have to worry about any of this :p

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
I used some hydro-turf

Its really not as bad as it looks. But I don't really spend extended periods of time on it either. If you want something a little more soft and pillowy I have a mk1 bandit seat I can pull the foam from if you think it'll be a large enough piece for you to shape how you want it

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
I have 2/3rds of a yoga mat you can have for the price of shipping... One side has a ridged pattern, though, so while you could interlock the layers with glue and pressure, I'm not sure how well it would hold up to heat and movement.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
What you want is a higher density closed cell foam (rebond) if you're planning to cover it. Rebond doesn't absorb water like regular open cell.

Otherwise, get some neoprene and some dragon skin and shape a piece. Check out online kayak suppliers for a piece. You can get a 12x12x3 piece for cheap. It's the same stuff people sell on ebay as "race foam" for a hefty profit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts