Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
old fart
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems getting them to seat the beads properly?
I have just had a second one explode whilst attempting to seat it!!:oops:
this one went at around 70psi FFS, what pressures are you using to get them on?
any tips of tricks would be very much appreciated, as it is a fucking expensive thing to keep happening, and it really made my ears ring :nuts:
(pic to follow)

·
old fart
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that guys, I know the risks, but what i am after is how others have got on with doing it, as i am not the only guy out here doing it.
for the guys that have done it, have you had any problems? if so what? and how did you get round them?
me and my tyre fitter thought the first problem we had was caused by a second hand tyre having probable bead damage from being dismounted the first time, but this second one was brand new!

PS, the thing that the diagram of the tyre seating dosn't take into account, is that tyres are made of rubber and will mold themselves to the shape of the rim, if not too dissimilar, the problem i am suffering is not the bead interface with the rim, this is always a good strong joint/seal, my problem is getting the tyre to slide across the rim to get the bead to where it should be.
I am going to try and clean/remove the powder coat/polish the inside of the rim to see if this will help.

·
2,781 Posts
if the other one seated alright originally the only thing I could suggest is temperature..

Was quite chilly round these parts yesterday. Dunno if correct or not but would that not make the tyre harder to mount?

If so warming the rubber should make it a bit more pliable & possibly seat easier

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
The problem comes from the fact that the car rim is not actually 17" but more like 17.5ish and the tire is around 16.8ish iirc but that's why once you do get them mounted, the bead is able to stay in the wider bead channel of the car rim. I would try one of these first

If that won't work there's always the lighter fluid method

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I've done two, first one was a brand new 180/15 onto a car wheel, that one seated around 90psi and just before it went, I could hear things pinging and snapping in the tire, it was incredible that it didn't blow up or break the wheel when it went. Scary is an understatement.

The other was a used 240/18 on a car wheel (18x7) and was pretty damn sure at 110psi it was either going to blow up the tire as Steve experienced, or, blow the outer ring of the wheel clear off if it actually did go. When it hit, it hit hard and I vowed I'll never fuck about with such a horrible idea again... but knowing me, I'll be at it some time in the future again because, well, I'm kind of an idiot. :D

I found that some flour (the stuff used for cooking) rubbed down on the bead and sidewall of the tire helps it slip a bit, baby powder would work well too. Tried grease but it's messy and doesn't do much different, soapy water (loads of liquid soap!) worked on the 240 after the powder method just wouldn't get it up over the taper of the wheel to the bead, but still, I had ear protection on, long leather welders gloves, and the wheel strapped down to a work bench while I filled it with air, also had a few straps around the tire itself so if it did explode, I wouldn't be standing next to a bomb with no protection at all. Still sketchy at best though.

I always, ALWAYS leave the valve core out!! When it seats, it's gonna do it at incredibly high pressure and you want to dump that out of there as fast as possible once the job is done. Again, this shit is sketchy, so keep a keen eye on all ways to minimize the amount to time the tire is at triple maximum pressure! ;)

Steve, as well as many others know, but just for anyone perusing the forum thinking about doing this, tires are no joke, you can lose a finger, a hand, eye sight, etc. from an explosion. You are really cookin' with gas when you start mounting bike tires to car wheels. They look cool, but you have to be aware of the danger, this isn't just some "toss it on and ride" sort of a deal, you have to be careful and think ahead before you put the air chuck to the valve stem. ;)

·
10,940 Posts
last one I did took 110 /120 psi , we stood outside , behind a brick wall , gave up on it after that, a lot of grief for no gain for by a diff looking wheel, 6" rims for me now ,190/ 200 section tyre, looks good a still handles like its meant to

·
old fart
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
6" rims for me now ,190/ 200 section tyre, looks good a still handles like its meant to
Is that car or bike rim mate?

Take no notice of that Yan, i am going to dump the car rim and fit a Ducati lightweight 6" rim and hub to her! that way i will get rid of the tyre fitting problems for good! and also loose around 20lb of excess metal from the rear end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts