Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people call this one of the best motorcycles ever made, and I tend to agree.

I guess Honda was being nice to the other brands on the market by not offering a naked version... would have stolen all their sales :D So instead, we have to build our own!

I'm starting with a reasonably clean '99 model:

I did strip the fairings and a couple other parts before the 1st:

Proof of start date:

The (rough) design brief... CBR1000RR tail, F4i RSU fork swap, handlebar and riser conversion, round headlight, front mount radiator, custom exhaust header with low/underbelly muffler and exit, powdercoat lots of parts. Overall, the usual crisp, clean, loaded-with-details build with a hint of modern cafe style.

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a little done today, but a little is always better than nothing.

Coolant drained, rads off, brakes (mostly) bled out, rear axle nut cracked loose. On track for fork swap by weeks end

Washer fluid bottle makes a good drain catch for coolant streaming from the drain at the pump

Not much, but at least it looks a bit lighter with the side rads gone.

Then I loaded the CB for a trip to the ethanol-free pump :)

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More disassembly.

Removed hand controls, linked brake system, clutch slave, pair system, other misc stuff.

She's pretty grungy, got my work cut out for me to make it clean and shiny again.

Always gets worse before it gets better...

Found a broken airbox lid

Fitted the F4i forks and triples, and a set of brake calipers. The VFR wheel fits almost perfectly.

I did have to cut off the F4i steering lock stops to fit the lower, will make new ones later.

Then I offered up the CBR tail

I'm happy with how the shapes will blend. With the right blend panels and paint, it will look factory.

·
V four honda whore
12,400 Posts
Re: Seb's VFR800 discussion thread

damn that video. i'll never will get tired of hearing vfr engine

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Seb's VFR800 discussion thread

This will be good to watch. I've been working on my 8 since 2011, so don't make me look too slow.

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's most of the stuff that's come off...

Gas tank drained & off

Wiring harness (a lot of it!!) out

Fairing stay tab removed, still need to remove the other one

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick mock up with oem tank and Hornet headlight

Same but with a 2002 VFR tank

Going to use the 02 tank as it looks much better with the tail, and the seat fit is just about perfect.

Did a little test fit of the front mount radiator, should work out real nice

Other side

Handlebar and risers on the way, hope they improve the look of the headlight!

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 2002 tank is not a direct fit, the tank hits the airbox lid before it touches the mount. Also, the hole pattern is different on the rear flange (front is a direct bolt-on though)

I figured out that a 1/2" aluminum adapter would suffice, and made one.

Next up, Taking a little more material off the frame so I can get the subframe positioned just right, then make the mounts for that.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts