Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

921 - 940 of 940 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #921 ·
Re: build: SECApocalypse / XJ750 Mad Max Hossack - by sebwiers

Oh wow, I still I have until MAY 31st? Cool, that's time to get a few bits (re)mounted so its street legal(ish).

Plan is to put the Dominator headlights (in an up-down mount) and gauges where the LED currently is, and move LED to the other side where it's mount will also hold the ignition key. Might even get the custom shock link mod done by then....

Ice in the garage went away last weekend, so I rolled the bike out and worked out a few winter kinks. Shit is pretty rusty from the open-trailer haul in February, but should clean up OK with a wire brush, then I will re-oil or something.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #922 ·

Spent the day fixing the electrical system. It should charge now - current at terminals shows as 12.5v cold, 13v at idle. I think the way I had it wired before actually did charge the battery, but fed power to the electromagnet in the alternator when the ignition was off but battery connected. Since I had a battery disconnect, I never noticed ... until I was hanging out with other bikers and left the battery connected while we chewed fat. So now the key switch is no longer optional - its required for the bike to run.

Also think I got my carb fixed. Had to hose down the outside with carb cleaner, because it would occasionally fail to close all the way, especially after the bike warmed up. I think road grime was getting stuck to the oily smeg on my idle screw stop. Amazing how high an engine revs even with just a tiny bit of throttle.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #923 ·
Re: talk: SECApocalypse / XJ750 Mad Max Hossack - by sebwiers

Actually managed to skid my front tire while doing a threshold braking test across bumpy pavement. I think the setup works. :)

Still want to tweak the front end link setup to give progressive springing, instead of current regressive rate; I think the stiff springing is partly why I was skidding (poor small bump compliance).

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #924 ·

Over memorial day I took a ~800 mile round trip to a small grass roots Post Apoc / Mad Max event thrown by some folks near Omaha. Bike ran great, though it cooked my legs, especially on the side with the oil cooler. Temps were 100 plus, felt better when I got back up North to cooler weather. Pics are a pain to post from work, will have to work on that.

Biggest problem I had was speed wobbles when I got up to 85 or so, forcing me to stay in the right lane. I added some rake while at camp, but it (not surprisingly) didn't help much. I think the extra steered mass and aero drag of the ice racing fender is to blame more than geometry. The extra trail did help a bit on dirt roads, and wasn't bad on the highway, but sucks now that I'm back in the city cutting up traffic.

Front springing seems overly stiff (already known - I think I need both lower overall ratio and progressive curve) and (surprisingly) the rear overly soft. I was whacking the rear tire into the (plastic) mud guard that is in between the tire and air filter, both when loaded on the highway and unloaded on dirt roads. Actually, the rear is not so much to soft, as has more usable travel than I expected...

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #926 ·

Buildoff completion photos / vids; some of these are from feb, all I've done since then is fix the electrical system (so it charges properly), clean the carb / cables (throttle was sticking open), adjust the clutch, adjust the rake, etc. Is currently my daily ride, and was good for a 700 mile (round trip) highway blast to a small post apoc event in Nebraska!

Ride video(s) -

Rando recent pics (imgur hosted)

Attachments

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #927 ·

Has been my daily rider for commuting to work. Being able to ride repeatedly in the same conditions (stop and go / congested full speed highway traffic, plus some bumpy / twisty surface roads) has helped me tune my suspension.

Seems I was running my (front) damping FAR to high. As in, I need to turn it all the way down, 0 or 1 click. I guess it makes sense - one benefit of anti-dive is to reduce / eliminate the need for damping to control dive. Plus I would bet a Hybusa rear shock uses damping to control squat and other power-delivery related effects. With both dampers turned down to 1 click, it still feels solid and planted, but soaks up the annoying small bumps better than before. Still want to try a modified link setup to get progressive springing.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,024 Posts
I've become addicted to tuning suspension. I've had my shock apart on my FZ twice in the past three weeks playing with shims. When you start getting a grasp on things and you start seeing/feeling the difference....holy shit, is it rewarding. What you said about riding in repeat conditions is paramount. I picked one particular road to test and watched my mph over certain bumps. Things that were harsh at one speed, but plush at a lower speed, were tough to tune out. But if you play around enough you can start getting a feel for it. It's so weird that I'm riding down the road hitting bumps and finding myself truly thrilled at how the bike responds lol....it's those little victories.

So cool, man. Keep up the good work :rock:

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #929 ·
Hah, that "weird ammusement" was pretty much the first thing I got from this build once I could ride it, even though in hindsight the setup was problematic (and still is).

I'm guessing that sort of rebuild is only an option for high end shocks (Ohlins, Penske) where the maker sells a shim kit? Or are you pulling hoodo with a stock shock?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,024 Posts
Stock CBR600RR shock, but I have a spare shock so I'm stealing shims from the spare and juggling stuff around like I know wtf I'm doing :clown:

But places like Racetech will sell you any size shims you want. Most sport bike shocks can be opened up and played with, you just have to check. A couple snap rings is pretty much all that holds them together.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #931 ·
Interesting. Might be worth pulling mine apart to see if I can go even softer, or get a narrower range / more usable options. But then you gotta get them back together with the right amount of oil, charge them with nitrogen, etc, yeah?

Another option would be to swap the spring from the 'busa shock onto the GSX1000 body, as the only thing wrong with that shock (afaik) was the spring was too soft. In some ways it was a better shock (more weather resistant). I need to pull the shock out soon anyhow - is part of the oil change procedure, as a precondition to with removing the (aftermarket) headers, which for some reason MAC decided should block the oil plug. %^&$#.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #932 ·
Got an interesting offer today. Was actually a result of a meeting at @Twin Cities Maker open house last week.

Some folks saw the #SECApocalypse and approached me because they wanted to borrow it. For a full month (mid July to mid August). They don't need to ride it, they just want to use it as a static prop / set piece.

I might be willing if it wasn't my daily ride, and I wasn't in the process of doing final touches for Wasteland Weekend. Plus that's prime riding season.

So instead I'm gonna dress up the FJ1100 (which I took to Wasteland Weekend in 2016 and never cleaned) and loan them that. It doesn't run right now but that doesn't matter to them, they just need a set piece. I'm gonna do some extra deco work (extra spikes, chains, maybe some thundersticks, patina paint & repair areas of silver coating that have come off) and deliver it by July 13, leaving it there until August 13 or so.

They are using it in a circus performance! Apparently they run a world-class youth / teen modern circus (think Cirque du Soliel) and thier upcoming show is themed around HG Wells and Jules Verne skipping through time. One of the sets they visit is a "Mad Max" themed morloch world.

https://circusjuventas.org/

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #934 ·
Thunderstick = pole with can on end, "contact fuse", and spear handle wrapping. Canonical anti-vehicle weapon per Fury Road. Not really practical for motorcycle use, but they look awesome bobbing around.

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Thunderstick

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #935 ·
Changed my oil today - I've actually done enough miles (and hooning) to need it! Total PAIN IN THA ASS because I have to remove the exhaust to get at the plug and filter. Which means I have to remove the shock and crash bars, which means I need to prop it up and remove the seat and tank so I can disconnect the light... at least 20 bolts (including 8 exhaust stud nuts).

I see a custom exhaust system project in my near(ish) future. Like maybe 3000 miles away...

Since I can't prop it up by the crash bars or use the stand I had made, I got creative. Happened to have a chunk of 2x4 just the length to go from ground to the lower fork pivot bar. Is a good spot to lift by, a solid bar of 3/4" stainless steel and doesn't take much force to hold it up there. I may make a new stand that goes there but isn't quite as awkward.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #937 ·
That actually might work - I can get at the plug, but it would mess the pipes. They MAYBE prevent changing the filter, maybe not.

Shame I didn't know sooner. :/

On the up side, I got a good chance to inspect the frame and dab more linseed oil on rusty bits I couldn't otherwise get at.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #938 ·
While I had the shock out, I grabbed a scale (hanging sort for hunting) and measured the force needed to lift the front wheel.

50 fucking pounds.

Ok, but wait... I have a spare front wheel... how much does that weigh?

40 fucking pounds.

So that spare has ice screws and sealant in it, but I think its safe to say my suspension setup acounts for 25% or less of my unsprung mass. I'm kinda proud of that.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,024 Posts
40lbs isn't horrible! The front rim on my FZ is a little over 30lbs with a 120/70-17 and two pretty thick rotors. Those 705's aren't light and tire weights can swing dramatically. For example, the Conti Motion on the back of my FZ was right at 10lbs, but the Shinko 009 that replaced it was right at 15lbs. I can feel it slightly in the throttle, but not at all in the turns. Double the tread depth, though.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #940 ·
Yeah, plus that 40lbs is with 600 tire screws in it (I was weighing the wheels I have set up for ice riding). I figure the Shinko 705's I have mounted now are nearly as heavy as the "street tire with screws" setup.

921 - 940 of 940 Posts