Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HUFFF SIGH GRRR AND "MEH!" Now I got all that out the way, Something very very very odd has happened, As some onf you know I'm helping my bro with his bandit 600 fighter project, luckily enough things up to now have been going "alright" However I asked my bro to take off the sprocket cover so we could change both sprocks and chain etc, He started undoing the actuator adjuster when i told him to leave it, it doesnt need to be touched, the clutch cable was slackened off as not to stress anything when removing the cover "irrelivent I know but I'l move on",.... once the job was done we popped the push rod back into the inside of the cover "so its visible when fitting the sprocket cover back on" guided it into its hole and bolted the cover up, adjusted the clutch cable as per spec, fitted his rearsets, whilst the bike was not running I pulled the clutch in and knocked it into 1st, still holding the clutch I should have been able to wheel the bike forward,...But no luck it felt like it was locked in gear the clutch was actuating but dint seem like it was engaging the clutch I then tried adjusting the pushrod adjuster further in,...no luck,... I am absolutely stumped the bike "before fightering" was fine clutch was awesome!,... but now,... even with the rearsets off too it makes no difference "lucky the bike wasnt running otherwise it would have clonked into 1st and stalled and could have cause some damaged,...I need some ideas, the bike wasnt moved about much whilst we were sorting things but I'm sure that wouldnt have affected the 2nd push rod on the clutch side would it???? Please can I get as much help as possible with this people!!!! I AM STUMPED!!!! :doh: :doh: :doh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was always the one in the middle missing but never cause any problems, and even up to torque spec before and after we tried,.... in my understanding I've recently looked at a full layout diagram there is "from sprocket side to clutch side" a small push rod to a bigger pushrod to the small clutch side rod??? am I right? I dont think its pushign all the way through for some strange reason????

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Easy way to see if the clutch is actually moving would be to pull the oil fill cap and get a flash light to see the basket when the lever is pulled. If it moves even a little bit, or you can pick at it lightly with a flat screw driver to see if you have tolerance within the plates (they will move a hair or so when pushed back and forth with the clutch lever pulled to the bar) it has to be the sprocket side that went wrong.

From what I recall of other clutches the assembly has 3 detent balls in stepped tracks, if those fell out or are not in the correct place it will pretty much not screw toward the case to push the rod in. Seems the thing you gotta do now is pull the cover and check if the actuator is moving the correct way.

So with that thing in there, the clutch cable connected, and a little pressure with your hand on the point where the push rod goes in, pull the lever, if the thing doesn't move out a little then you need to either rotate it 180 from where it is, or see if it is not catching the points that would make it move. I'm dead sure it spun or something or got installed 180 of the correct position to cause such a thing to happen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the actuator pushes the push rod, it moves up and down, that all works, and is all in place, it seems "tho" the push rod although pushing is almost pushing against a prick wall when the adjuster is all the way in, but is shouldnt be nor need to be, the clutch is not freeing if that makes sense some might call that the clutch not "disengaging" the push rod is not pushing the pressure plate....thats the prob but i dont know how to go about sorting it because its happened out of the blue???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BIG MAHOOSIVE BUMP!!!!

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
Try backing the push rod adjuster back out and test as you adjust. I have found that some time the rod dosent seat right when I put the sprocket cover on. You have to play with it till you get what you need. It can be a pain but it is do able. If you have it in all the way it will feel like its super hard with no throw to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive decided to leave it for a bit lol,... see how the rest of the bike goes,.. it would seem i got bigger probs,.... the new cone filters are making the bike bog at 4k

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gonna go about re-fitting the air box, as it ran great even with an aftermarket can on in with the stock airbox, just means we will have to reroute the electrics, To be honest I dont trust most bike shops round here, sounds bad but I much rather do the work myself, but if it can be solved without playing about too much then im happier with the easier route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts