Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've taken the bike bug bad. I figure I'm gonna get my workshop set up for building bikes. Although I have a very good tool kit it's very car orientated so I'm going to upgrade for doing my bike projects. For my work shop I'm going to get a bench drill and grinder. Hopefully a small lathe and a bike lift to start. Was just wondering what else I should be buying and what bike building hand tools should I also be getting. I have a decent welder already

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I normally do mate and how I've built my tools so far. Just wanting to know the things I'm gonna need for fighter building just the basics

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Angle grinder angle grinder angle grinder o yea and welder

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Pretty much the exact same as car building tools, and then add fork spring compressor/seal driver, chain breaker/press, carb sync tool, clutch basket holder and maybe a case splitter. If your going to do your own tires than some tire irons and a truing stand may be useful for ya for spoke wheels.
Besides that, off the top of my head its mainly all just regular ol tools.

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys. My mate lives a few doors along from me. He does air brushing so he has a small spray booth. From the sounds of things I'm already pretty set just a few things and set up my workshop

·
Registered
299 Posts
Air saw, reciprocating saw, angle grinder, bench grinder, dremel w/ cutoff wheels, drill press, Allen key sets, fork spring compressor, assorted c clamps, dead blow hammer, ball peen hammer, assorted punches, rear wheel stand, front frame stand, zip ties, welder, welding triangles. Maybe a pulley/a-frame if you can't find a frame stand

That's a good start right there, if you're doing internal engine work then you're gonna need more tools but for a decent setup that you can do a lot with this list will get it done.

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent lads. Can get some stuff ordered now. I downloaded some plans for a bike lift using wood and 3/4 threaded pipe and it lifts up using a 3 ton trolley jack which I have so gonna knock one of those up.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
I see lots of people mention a bike lift. Do all yall really use a bike lift? I have built plenty of bikes and worked on hundreds and have never even thought of using a bike lift. I prefer doing all my work on the ground and anytime something needs to be jigged or frame mods need to be done I have a welding table for that. Even on ground up builds I prefer a couple wood blocks and a small pump jack lift thing just to move the motor in place. Am I the odd one out here?

Reactions: nemo

·
Registered
436 Posts
I see lots of people mention a bike lift. Do all yall really use a bike lift? I have built plenty of bikes and worked on hundreds and have never even thought of using a bike lift. I prefer doing all my work on the ground and anytime something needs to be jigged or frame mods need to be done I have a welding table for that. Even on ground up builds I prefer a couple wood blocks and a small pump jack lift thing just to move the motor in place. Am I the odd one out here?
Nope im sure not gonna spend $600 on a lift, shit i could damn near buy another bike for that lol. :thumbup:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
10,904 Posts
stripping the sump off a bike to remove the starter clutch from the guts of it, for example, isn't a job i'd want to do on the floor . more i get to use a bench in the shop , the more it increases my resolve to build my own

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
The lift is single handedly, the BEST piece of equipment I have ever bought. Just because when it comes to fixing things that are on the lower parts on the bike, I can bring them up to eye level when sitting to comfortably work on my bike and make sure 120% that it gets done right. Comfortably of course.

Do you really need it? Not necessarily. But until you've had one, you don't know what you're missing.

And the HF lift on sale is $300. Quite worth the money invested. Plus in 2 years you can replace it no questions asked for a brand new one with warranty. Then renew the insurance again. Good for another 2 years. I've already traded mine in. Might be annoying to haul it, but for the sake of keeping a constant warranty on it, I'll gladly return it every 2 years or so.

Oh and JB Weld. Always keep a stick or 10 laying around. You never know when you're going to need it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts