Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is, the newest addition to my stable, a 2006 SV1000S with some minor rashing and damage, mostly stock so far but lots of things in the idea pipeline. I don't have a very good camera so my cellphone will have to do for now.

The only thing that's been done to it so far is a ghetto undertail and plate mount, pulled the fairings off, and I'm in the process of making appropriate headlight and gauge mounts so I can get it back on the road.

The idea here: single 4" round headlight (although I'm getting an '04 gixxer light in the mail soon, may use that instead), LOW drag bars (I like dirty bars but they are too high for the look I'm going for, shorty cans, maybe some radiator covers later on. Not sure where to mount stock gauges, everywhere I've tried they look a little goofy.

PS- some little bitch in my condo association ratted me out so now am I not only allowed to have my bike behind my house like you see in the pic, I'm not even allowed to have a freestanding deck anymore! Means I gotta work in the dark garage with no power outlets. bleh.

·
Fully Qualified Asshole
1,870 Posts
yeah looks sweet

id be tempted to just change the back end

i really like the front end

Reactions: Greencheezeeta

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the front end I want to do a small windscreen- something along these lines:

As for the gauges, I have seen an SV650 with the gauges frenched into the tank. This would be awesome, but far beyond my abilities, resources, and time as a wanna-be fabricator, and also means I would really have to crane my neck down to check speed.

I may go with another set of dials if the money is right, but the stockers are decent and I'd like to find a good way of mounting them.

I've also got a spare top triple with DL1000 (V-strom) 7/8" risers. My fear is that the bars will be too high and make the front end look wonky. I really want a low, sleek look to the front of the bike, optimally with the bars being no higher than the top of the tank.

Unfortunately, this is all a pipe dream at the moment. The equation for doing work is totally unbalanced at the moment:

time + money + work space + access to good equipment + inspiration = DO WORK

I have the inspiration and motivation to do work, but none of the rest!

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Good luck with the build. I am anxious to see where you go with this.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Dig that front fairing thing for the headlight, that will e cool. Tail work will thin it up in the back there. How's she run? I'm interested in a liter twin here someday.

Nate

·
Frosty Rider
384 Posts
sweeetness, can't wait for this to shape up........please don't blow it up before you finish this time:)

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweeetness, can't wait for this to shape up........please don't blow it up before you finish this time:)
I'll try REALLY hard not to! That means no wheelies for me, these things starve pretty easily i've heard. Need to get my arse in gear getting light + gauges mounted up before I start too many other wild plans. Fabrication is my weakness, neighbours complain about the incessant cutting and grinding noises....

Anyone got a pillion seat cowl they'd be willing to let go for cheap? :D

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think its probably just long stand-ups that are the problem, the front cyl will get drastically decreased lubing. I4's have less problems because all the cyls are equal, and the oil pickup is usually far enough back that it doesnt matter too much.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a lot of neighbors unfortunately... they probably all hate me, im sure im really obnoxious to live near, so i dont blame them.

Yay! Ghetto-fab DIY brackets!

Just a test fit, they bolt onto the bottom triple. Seems to work, gotta clean them up and spray them black now.

from the side:

too low?

yikes, cell phone picture quality sucks... looks good so far though:

That's it for now, gotta make a gauge mount so I can ride! luckily suzuki was lazy and used the same primary harness between the sv1000N and sv1000S so the only wires up front are for lights and gauges. Makes my life easy, thanks 'zuki!

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
I think its probably just long stand-ups that are the problem, the front cyl will get drastically decreased lubing. I4's have less problems because all the cyls are equal, and the oil pickup is usually far enough back that it doesnt matter too much.
the v sits with the rear cylinder at a 30 degree rearward angle and when you get to the balance point it goes past 90 and all the oil sits in the rear valve cover cus its almost upside down.

the 4's never do it cus the motors never get past 40 degrees backward angle. only the gsxr's also have oil starvation problems cus the oil falls to the back of the oil pan but the pickup is in the front. but you can buy a pivoting oil pickup.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Workin on it. Did some wiring for the headlight and signals today.

Bullet, yours is lookin pretty killer so far, any news on that tail cowl or exhaust?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts