Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some progress today with the subframe. Even though the damn racetail is not in my possession just yet, I had an ABS plastic stock tail to use for quick mock up. There is still much to be done, but you will get the idea from these photos.

Stock Subframe and stock profile here:

Modified subframe here:

Rather than chopping off the stock frame I kept the top rails intact as well as the reinforcements that are already welded in. I knew I had to keep the seat height stock since it's my girl's bike and I wasn't allow to jack it up crazy. I want space under the seat for exhaust plumbing so I cut out the bottom rails, turned them 90 degrees in order to keep the mounting tabs they have for the passenger pegs, then cut and fit them back into a similar spot at 55 degrees.

The back section needed a rake so I V-notched the square stock at 22.5 degrees on either side of the V (which was a point I picked after the stock seat brace) and I kicked the square stock up to 45 degrees. After the 45 degree bend I V-Notched the side rails to 24 degrees by making a double 12 degree V-cut and moving the two halves into each other. Doing this allowed me to maintain a lot of the stock square stock and I was able to make quick changes without losing the alignment.

These photos are just mock up crap. Playing with the wrecked exhaust from my Speed Triple. I like the Carby cans but they would obviously be cut down to about 10" long or less. Fired the bike up, of course, and they sound really deep. Not sure how everything would sound after the chop. I think it's too much plumbing for a small CC machine, personally. May just go with one of them on the left side of the bike.

What do you guys think?

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys I added a new thread because the Title from the other one sounded like I was only building a tank.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Little more progress today. Cleaned up some of my frame work, moved the battery to the side of the bike for now and added some DOT stuff in case I need to ride the bike anywhere. The real progress was made in polishing and painting the back wheel and can, rerouting the wire harness to work with the new subframe and getting a better idea of what has to be done to make the tail work when it comes in.

The taillight, signals, exhaust, and plate location are not staying. It's all just temp stuff.

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Like it, Love it.

Like the can and the polished rims.

Need more pics of the front end and the mask.

Do you have a list of mods that you'd like to do for this build??

Sympul

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Looking good bro.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Laid down some red today to see if I liked it. The can said "Satin Colonial Red" But it definately had a gloss in the texture. Oh well. I wanted a flat texture so it looked meaner, but the red is pretty sick. I like that it's understated.

And Painted on the bike:

Yeah I am gonna ditch the duals. Too much plumbing for a 600 if you ask me. The tail is going to get some serious tweaking when it comes in. The shipper sent me a tracking number but the damn package has not left his shop. Bastard. I plan to shrink the tail section in width where it's going to turn. The stock tail looks fine when it's level but it gets a pretty fat ass if you bend the widest point upward. Along with shrinking the width, I may curve the tip and the undercarriage in order to get a better flow.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Exhaust issue is officially sorted. I was given a free growler style exhaust for the build from a local shop.

It helps to have friends and it's even better when your friend owns a used bike shop.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made good use of an aftermarket tire hugger and a stencil I made from a print out off the internet.

Spray painted through the stencil onto the fender then used the rattle can imprint as a guide to cut out my shape.

The edge of the fender got chopped only a 1/2 inch or so but i wanted to do some type of shape to make it interesting. I went with sleek lines and didn't think it fit, so I thought it would be funny if it looked like someone had been chewing on the end of the fender. Other than the "Teeth marks" I threw a few curved or radius features into the mix to give it a little more shape. I moved my rear brake reservoir on the other side of the stock mount to make room for something, so i had to cut into the hugger to accommodate the brake assembly. I need to fit the hugger to check for clearance, but my roommate is out riding the damn bike!

Front fender came in the mail today. Pristine condition for $9.99 off Ebay. Plans to mod that are in the works but I have to get an '06-07 R6 Integrated Taillight first in order to finish the ass end of the bike.

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Nice work on the fender.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Used some left over red from the tank and headlight. Again, this red paint is not the final paint job. Just some rattle can crap to help make it look a little more significant than straight primer.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some progress made today. Replaced the worn out clutch components on the 'Fighter. Kit jumped in and wanted to put the new clutch pack in so I took photos of her helping out. It's always good to see the rider working on their own shit.

Also picked up some 38mm fork tube bracket boots for my headlight. Great quality from FlyNCycle off Ebay. Good stuff.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts